Thread: SL5x5 and diet page

Conner P. is offline Senior Member

SL5x5 and diet

So I am just starting the SL5x5 program and have been trying to maintain daily 16hr+ IF for a good while now. I am at a cross roads however. Should I continue trying to maintain the IF, or should I just eat when I am hungry to make sure I am getting the most out of SL? Maybe eat when I'm hungry and do an extended (18 to 20+) IF once a week?

Also, I am curious about incorporating starches to make sure I -am- getting enough energy. Probably going to be mostly white rice if I do. When would be the best time to eat starches?

And finally, if I do drop the IF for the most part, what should I eat later at night (after 7 or 8 pm)?

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    i personally wouldn't do a fast longer than 16 hours, everything I've read suggests the benefits of IF have mostly happened by hour 16 and the negatives of fasting usually kick in after hour 16.

If you eat enough then the fasting isn't going to hamper your lifting.

I've been doing SS for almost 4 months now, 3 months of IFing with no issues related to diet
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    It depends on what your goals are - are you doing SS purely to build strength?

Conner P. is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    It depends on what your goals are - are you doing SS purely to build strength?
    That would be the idea. What other reasons would I have for doing a 5x5 linear regimen? I would like to get my squat in the 350 range, DL in the 400 range, and bench press in the 175-225 range. I will take what I can get on rows and shoulder press. After I get to that point, I will probably focus on building power.

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    Read this:

BÝrge Fagerli’s Advanced Concept Diet v2.0 - YewHealth

He uses whole grain, oats etc., but you can just as well substitute grains with white rice, potatoes or other starchy tubers.
    Last edited by Sungrazer; 04-20-2011 at 01:57 AM.
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Conner P. View Post
    That would be the idea. What other reasons would I have for doing a 5x5 linear regimen? I would like to get my squat in the 350 range, DL in the 400 range, and bench press in the 175-225 range. I will take what I can get on rows and shoulder press. After I get to that point, I will probably focus on building power.
    I ask because there is an alarming amount of people following SL and other similar programmes as a means to build muscle and increase BMR - I don't agree with this.

If your goal is strength then you are going to have to include some carbohydrate and just lots of food in general. In terms of what you eat - just go for whatever works for you. Just make sure you are eating enough.

erica057 is offline Senior Member
    I think it depends on where you are in the program. Unless you are really weak, if you're just using an empty bar, it probably doesn't matter much. Once the lifts get challenging, you'll know if you're not eating enough.
    My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

RezH is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I would just go with what Martin Berkhan recommends, eat plenty of carbs postworkout. Your largest meal is also postworkout. Reduce carbs if you eat again later. One thing with SL, if you want to make big gains, you will more than likely need an overall caloric surplus because of all the weekly squatting.