kenn is offline Senior Member

Climate Changers take another defeat

Shop Now
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

mixie is offline Senior Member
    Although I support the right for any idiot to spout any idiocy they like, I'm always a little baffled by the notion that anyone opposes the reality of global climate change. I mean, there truly is no "controversy" within the scientific community. No one with any amount of actual expertise on the topic doubts it. It's like that whole pesky "evolution" thing. There is no controversy in the real world. There definitely is no controversy where the temperate rainforest in which I live is beginning to dry out.

And, seriously, why the opposition? I mean, what benefit is there to sticking our collective heads in the sand and continuing to pour our money into OPEC nations and depending on non-renewable and carbon-producing sources of energy? A home-grown renewable energy industry IS "homeland security". Whether or not it's good for the planet is almost incidental. But there is no controversy within the scientific community that it is ;0).

Global warming: Critics' review unexpectedly supports scientific consensus on climate change - Los Angeles Times --quoth XKCD: Science! It works, bitches ;0)
    Last edited by mixie; 04-19-2011 at 05:30 PM.
    “Falconry is not a hobby or an amusement; it is a rage. You eat and drink it, sleep it and think it. You tremble to write of it, even in recollection. It is as King James the First remarked, an extreme stirrer up of passions.” --T.H. White, The Godstone and the Blackymor

"The world must be all fucked up when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."
    - Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude

Because Manmade Global Warming failed so they changed to it Climate Change

The climate is always changing and always has, but to ascribe it to man as being the reason for change or blaming on C02 is short-sighted at best

It's based on shoddy science just like Ancel Keys' work

The Germans poured massive amounts of subsidies into getting the Solar industry growing in their country, the companies took the money and went to China for manufacturing, so the Germans just gave China money meant for their own homegrown industry.

The US has the largest Oil reserves in the world and the largest standing gas reserve as well, not to mention 200 years worth of coal
    Last edited by kenn; 04-19-2011 at 05:38 PM.

=)
    The beauty of science is that humankind's knowledge adapts as our understanding of the problem grows. That's the difference between "science" and "blind dogma". More data and more time means a more accurate understanding of the phenomenon. It's sorta like when Girolamo Fracastoro's "seed like entity" theory "failed" and so they changed it to the "germ theory" when a better understanding of microbiology was developed. Or, over a longer period of time, how Aristotle's theories of motion "failed" and with further understanding from the likes of Copernicus, Kepler, Gallileo, and Newton, "they" changed it to Gravity.

I realize that no one can be reasoned out of a position that they didn't reason themselves into, but... still and all, it's a bit baffling.

I am curious though. What's the benefit to continuing to pour our hard-earned money into OPEC nations, rather than developing safe and clean and renewable sources here at home? ...and what do German subsidies and the poor business practices of German manufacturers have to do with... well, anything?
    “Falconry is not a hobby or an amusement; it is a rage. You eat and drink it, sleep it and think it. You tremble to write of it, even in recollection. It is as King James the First remarked, an extreme stirrer up of passions.” --T.H. White, The Godstone and the Blackymor

"The world must be all fucked up when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."

Mac
    Mac is offline Senior Member
    I am not sure if it is the height of arrogance or stupidity to think that human behavior can't impact the planet and its climate. Look around. We have, without doubt, caused the extinction of numerous species, killed entire bodies of water, and devastated other ecosystems everywhere. See if you can get tuna for $0.89 a can in a few years time. Why? Because tuna and other large fish will likely be extinct and I can guarantee it won't be from "natural fluctuations" in tuna populations.

I can't imagine how spewing billions of tons of gases into the atmosphere, which have been locked away underground in fossil fuels for millions of years, can't have massive implications to a world that has largely been left to its own devices - save for the the last 300 years or so since the IR. Why individuals continue to deny our current and ongoing impact on the environment continues to astound me. We think things are bad now? Wait until India and China catch up to the North American style of consuming - we haven't seen anything yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mixie View Post
    =)
    The beauty of science is that humankind's knowledge adapts as our understanding of the problem grows. More data and more time means a more accurate understanding of the phenomenon. It's sorta like when Girolamo Fracastoro's "seed like entity" theory "failed" and so they changed it to the "germ theory" when a better understanding of microbiology was developed. Or, over a longer period of time, how Aristotle's theories of motion "failed" and with further understanding from the likes of Copernicus, Kepler, Gallileo, and Newton, "they" changed it to Gravity.
    So you're saying a trace element in the atmosphere is the blame for Climate Change?

Also, in case you missed it the first time, here's an update on that "shoddy science": Global warming: Critics' review unexpectedly supports scientific consensus on climate change - Los Angeles Times

Also, in case you missed it the first time, here's an update on that "shoddy science": Global warming: Critics' review unexpectedly supports scientific consensus on climate change - Los Angeles Times
    there is a scientific consensus that saturated fat is bad for you

...Not exactly, is there? George McGovern did some hefty work imposing some sketchy science into popular culture, but a quick poke around PubMed reveals plenty of science to the contrary. It's more accurate to say that there's a public health consensus currently for, but trending away from the notion that saturated fat is bad for you.

Re: carbon influence, like I said: you can't be reasoned out of a position that you didn't reason yourself into. I still didn't see an answer to my questions. Why do you want to keep pouring our money into supporting Arabic nations, or continued reliance on a non-renewable energy source? Who do you suppose is backing the arguments that we should? Might it be the mostly Arabic-owned Fox "News" Network? ;0)

Paleobird Guest
    Might it be the mostly Arabic-owned Fox "News" Network? ;0)
    Oh, but Mixie, don't you know that Fox News is Fair and Balanced?

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast