Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't handle magnesium citrate...what is a better form of magnesium? page

NoMoreGrains is offline Member

Can't handle magnesium citrate...what is a better form of magnesium?

Primal Fuel
    I know that I'm deficient in magnesium. A few weeks ago, I tried NOW Foods magnesium citrate powder, and a serving made me very sick. It left me feeling weak, sick in the stomach, and tired for days. It gave me several days worth of diarrhea, followed, quite oddly, by nearly a week of constipation. This is quite possibly the worst I've ever felt in recent memory, so I know magnesium citrate is not an option for me. What is the next best form of magnesium for someone who can't tolerate citrate?

apple is offline Senior Member
    How much did you take? I have the natural calm stuff (also citrate) and there is a limit to how much I can take before it gives me the runs. I had to build up, too.

Aside from that, I don't know the next best form. I'll let someone else come in and advise.
    Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
    Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
    More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
    LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
    Play more!

NoMoreGrains is offline Member
    I took 1 teaspoon of powder (630 mg). Could the powder be the problem? I prefer it to tablets because of the lack of fillers, but I think I may need a more time-released form.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I use magnesium oil. You rub it on your skin and bypass the GI tract all together. The stuff I use is made by Swanson. It can irritate some peoples skin. I have sensitive skin and it is usually fine. If my skin is really, really dry it might sting a little. Overall, I love it. I sleep so much better and have no more muscle cramps since starting it.

Metismomma is offline Senior Member
    Thats a lot of magnesium at one shot if you're not used to it. Might want to start with a half dose or a quarter even. If it still bothers you, then the next in line would be a chelated magnesium.
    If that makes you sick, then magnesium oil.
    Calm the f**k down.

apple is offline Senior Member
    630 mg of magnesium? I take about 300mg and it sometimes gives me tummy troubles. That's the amount that I've currently worked up to, I started at maybe half that amount. Try cutting it down to a quarter tsp and building up to 1/2 or 3/4 tsp. When you work up to 1/2 tsp you could split it in two doses, too.
    Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
    Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
    More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
    LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
    Play more!

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I also started taking magnesium citrate recently. I've been taking 1/2 tsp (~315g). Once I took a heaping 0.5 tsp and it gave me the runs almost immediately. I think I read in an earlier thread that ~300mg/dose is what most people can tolerate. If you need more per day, try spreading out the doses. I would give the citrate another try at a lower dosage since it is so cheap.

Shawnamarie is offline Member
    I have found that mag citrate gives me cramps, abdominal pain and bloating, and constipation. However, liquid mag oxide works really well for me without causing discomfort. I usually take 500mg a day with a calcium supp. I don't know if the oxide form is as beneficial as citrate, but I've found its the only way I can take magnesium.

stephenmarklay is offline Senior Member
    It's so weird as I have heard all the MAG Citrate warnings but I started Natural Calm last month and from the first dose it was like 500mg and nothing even in the way of a grumble out of my belly. Go figure. Maybe all the cocoa I have eaten in the past has made me less problematic as it is high in MAG.

Kyle46N is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    8 replies? I'm jealous. I posted basically the same question and got no replies. Anyhow, I did a bunch of reading. The consesus I get as far the most readily absorbed mag form is magnesium glycinate. You can buy it from several places on Amazon.com. I have some coming in the mail. Also, this stuff is the least likely to cause runs. On another note, mag citrate is what we use as a laxative in the hospital. Because of that, I didn't even consider buying mag citrate. You can read more about magnesium here. Magnificent Magnesium

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast