Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this about? How do I fix it? page

nocturnalmama is offline Senior Member

What is this about? How do I fix it?

Primal Fuel
    I'm guessing... but, I'm pretty sure that my issues stem from slow twitch vs. fast twitch muscle...

I am a yogi. I practice daily and so my strength is endurance based - long, static holds.

I've started sprinting a bit more often - and I lack that "push" - the power to get going, if that makes sense. I could go on forever at 60% exertion, and my cardio health is just fine. Its the pushes, the sprints that completely exhaust my muscles very quickly.

I know... sprinting SHOULD exhaust the muscles... but I think that my muscles are not really responding quickly to the change in momentum and they exhaust very easily.

I hope this is making sense. Is there something I could/should be doing to increase the power in my muscle strength? I'm not keen on weight lifting, but I do go to the gym 1X/week to do sprints and am not opposed to adding in weights or other exercises that might improve my sprinting experience.

I should also add that I have a recurring hip injury, so I have a terrible time with squats (I track poorly, and if I add speed to this, my hip and knee suffers!) or running... I do my sprints on a stationary bike or a rowing machine to lessen the impact on my joints.
    Robin
    ~primal mama to 3~

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried pushing stuff around? I'm currently working on progressing to a van at a slight incline.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

lorilr is offline Junior Member
    Hi Robin

Don't mean to sound mean but... I bet the muscle being exhausted is your brain. I find sprinting to be more of a mental thing.

There is a mental breakthrough athletes go through when it hurts like hell and you keep going. Once you have pushed through then the next time you know you can keep going even though your body (mind) is telling you you can't.

I often have beginning runners tell me they can't run more 10 minutes. I tell them that if they will get past that moment when they think they need to stop, they will be surprised at how far they can go.

One idea is to "sprint" 30 seconds at a time. Ramp up your speed over that 30 seconds until you are going all out. Or pick a tree in the distance and promise yourself you won't stop till you get there. (ok hard to do on stationary bike) Maybe you need to lessen the resistance for sprints.

FWIW, I do ironmans and marathons and a stationary bike wears me out quickly. Maybe try a spin class that you know has sprinting cycles to get past that mental block.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i like the idea of performing shorter sprints more often, not necessarily because of getting by a mental block, but because those short bursts are going to help you develop those muscles more. i know there's some debate over this, but if you want to get better at something like sprinting, do it more.

i also think that some plyometric exercising might help. get really explosive and you'll also work up those muscles you need to push more...of course, you'll also be sore.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Yes, sprinting hits your superfast twitch muscles. Eight sets of 30 seconds is supposed to trash them. If your tongue is not hanging out, you are not doing them fast enough.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

nocturnalmama is offline Senior Member
    Okay... this is helping.

I usually do 10 minutes with 10 second full out sprints and 30-60 second rests between .... Today I did a ladder starting at 60% effort for 60 seconds, break for 60 seconds and then climbing with rest between exertions 60%, 70%, 80%, 90%, 100% - then rest at top for 2 minutes - then back down. The entire thing took about 20ish minutes...

So... my brain was not really giving up, it was totally muscle fatigue. I can kind of control my brain thanks to the yoga - I know that my brain gives up long before my body.

So... 30 second sprints and what would be a suggested break between sprints? a minute? less?

Plyometric? Is this like box jumps? I would like to start incorporating those into my workouts for sure. Any other ideas for plyometrics that I can do around the house? I know they have boxes at the gym, so I'll definitely add those in when I go to the gym.

Thanks! This has been helpful so far.
    Robin
    ~primal mama to 3~

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Before adding in any plyometric work you'll need to fix your squat and/or hip injury. What is the particular injury?

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    I always recommend you start with hill sprints. Although harder, they teach you the proper form and reduce the chance of injury.

What type of hip/knee injury do you have?

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    The only way to get better at something, including sprinting, is to do more of it.

I've been in injury recovery since January and my sprint capacity is WAY lower than it was pre-injury. So what? I'm back to doing hill sprints at full effort, albiet "full effort" is now fewer and slower than I used to be able to do. I just run as hard and fast as I can, uphill for 100 meters, to complete and nauseating exhaustion. My capacity will come back.

Speaking of injury recovery -- it's not just physical. You also have to remind your brain to break through the protective "walls" it sets up. Look into Feldenkrais for this; it has worked WONDERS on my mobility.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnalmama View Post
    Okay... this is helping.

So... 30 second sprints and what would be a suggested break between sprints? a minute? less?

Thanks! This has been helpful so far.
    Eight 30 second sprints, 90 seconds of recovery between (keep moving slowly), two or three times a week. If you can do more than two or three, you need to do them harder. More "exercise" than Mark recommends is not primal, although additional "play" is fine unless you overtax your body.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast