Thread: Best wood to use for utensils? page

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member

Best wood to use for utensils?

Shop Now
    Have a pile of wood (mostly fallen branches from an oak and old christmas trees that are nothing but trunks) and was thinking of carving wood spatulas, spoons, and such for cooking. Does anyone know if oak or fir is ok for food? Can't seem to find anything on the web except for bamboo and cedar.
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    We use olive wood utensils and love it, not sure about oak.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    I should think fir would be too soft.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Dumb question I know but does oak have anything nasty that could leech into the food? I know they make oak barrels for wine so it must be safe for utensils right?

I sense Grok rolling his eyes at his descendant's fear of poisoning her family with a wooden spoon. Sorry Grok!

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Oak is fine.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Oak is good, fir is way too soft. Don't stain it unless you can find a food safe one. No polyurethane, use a food grade oil instead.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Naiadknight-I was thinking of just rubbing coconut oil, or grapeseed oil in, warming the wood, rub more in, warm the wood, until it wouldn't absorb any more...kinda like how you season cast iron.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaylee99 View Post
    Naiadknight-I was thinking of just rubbing coconut oil, or grapeseed oil in, warming the wood, rub more in, warm the wood, until it wouldn't absorb any more...kinda like how you season cast iron.
    That's what I'd recommend. I used olive oil on the chopsticks I made, it worked out well.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Wooden spoon
    Wooden spoons can be treated to protect from cold liquid absorption with coconut or mineral oil. Edible drying oils such as hempseed oil, walnut oil, and flax oil are used to create a more durable finish. For best results drying oils should be given adequate time to polymerize after application before the spoon is used. Other vegetable oils should be avoided because they will undergo rancidification and leech into food during use. If the wood grain raises up after boiling or washing a light sanding and application of coconut oil will prevent the spoon from becoming fuzzy and harboring bacteria.
    The following site gives instructions for making your own.
    How to Carve a Wooden Spoon

Some info I found suggests olive, oak, Osage orange (a very hard wood). Of course bamboo
    Last edited by Lynna; 04-22-2011 at 05:43 AM.

Thanks Lynna!