Thread: A quick question involving ankle fusions.. page

acijami is offline Junior Member

A quick question involving ankle fusions..

Primal Fuel
    I am currently trying to figure out what forms of exercise my husband can safely participate in at this time. He has been in recovery from a full ankle fusion since January, and is finally on a limited weight bearing program. There was a bone graft involved, extracted from his tibia I do believe. He will never have any range of motion in that ankle again. Aside from simple exercises to increase flexibility in his foot (yay therapy!) I am at a loss as to what we can do.

Running is not an option. Granted, it would be funny to watch- but unfunny to do. Hiking not so much either- he will have lingering issues with inclines and would also likely be eaten by a bear.

Thanks in advance!

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Your biggest concern will presumably be in exercises with excessive ankle flexion - what ROM does he have during ankle extension? Rowing could be a good option. And this could be a good time to start, if not already, incorporating some high intensity met con work - squats, presses, pulls etc. all done in a sequence and at a fast pace. The key would be "testing" various exercises to see which would be suitable and making sure that you had a movement from each major movement pattern in there. For some more ideas, take a look at

Sandbag Fitness