Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow wound healing page

porcelain is offline Senior Member

Slow wound healing

Primal Fuel
    I'm a clumsy girl who gets scrapes and cuts pretty often so when I get wounds that take noticeably forever to heal, I get concerned. This started when I went strict paleo.

Is this cortisol related? I don't exercise as much as I should...
    But I'm also worried if I'm lacking in certain nutrients (allergy sensitivities restricting me from dairy and fish). I suffer from constipation and irregular periods too, I wonder if they are symptoms to anything.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    You may need more vitamin A & K. Occasional liver for a good source of A. Dark leafy greens for K.

Also, are you getting enough D?

Are you eating enough fat?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    You may need more vitamin A & K. Occasional liver for a good source of A. Dark leafy greens for K.

Also, are you getting enough D?

Are you eating enough fat?
    I'm getting enough A, K, and fat (with my fish allergy, my omega ratio could be better). The only vitamin D I'm getting is from plant source, which kind of worries me since I'm not getting D3.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    You definitely need to get your levels checked and get to a tanning parlor and/or find D3 in a plant oil base.

This is what I use: Now Foods, Vitamin D-3, 2,000 IU, 240 Softgels - iHerb.com

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Ive found applying some honey on my wounds helps them heal quicker and prevents infections --> Never have any bandages and have a tendency to cut myself fairly deeply after sharpening my knives

racingsnake is offline Senior Member
    When I had this problem it was supplementing zinc that fixed it for me, but you need to be a bit careful with that. Vitamin C may also help and a gram or two of that a day shouldn't cause any problems.

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    how is your n-6 / n-3 intake? I heal slowly if I am particularly inflamed.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Well taking a vega wholemeals (protein+multivitamin) definitely helped. I'm thinking of incorporating flax seeds or flax oil to my diet to increase my omega 3s. I eat all types of meat except for fish, which deterred me from taking fish oil.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I have heard the zinc/wound healing connection several times.

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by porcelain View Post
    Well taking a vega wholemeals (protein+multivitamin) definitely helped. I'm thinking of incorporating flax seeds or flax oil to my diet to increase my omega 3s. I eat all types of meat except for fish, which deterred me from taking fish oil.
    Flax is unlikely to get you the benefits that fish or fish oil does, especially if you are consuming a lot of commercial grain-fed meats.

Here is a quote from one of Mark's many posts about Omega-3 supplementing..

Can I get the same benefits from Flax oil? If not, what’s the difference?

You can’t. Some animals can convert the ALA from flax into DHA/EPA, but we just don’t have the machinery for it and most of it gets wasted. Young women have a better conversion rate, but you’d be better off just taking fish oil.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast