Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kids games like kickball deemed unsafe by state page

kenn is offline Senior Member

Exclamation Kids games like kickball deemed unsafe by state

Primal Fuel

ALBANY - State bureaucrats have identified a potentially deadly hazard facing our children this summer - freeze tag.

That's right, officials have decided the age-old street game - along with Wiffle Ball, kickball and dodgeball - poses a "significant risk of injury."

And classics like Capture the Flag, Steal the Bacon and Red Rover are also deemed dangerous in new state regulations for day camps.

"It looks like Albany bureaucrats are looking for kids to just sit in a corner in a house all day and not be outside," said state Sen. Patty Ritchie (R-St. Lawrence County).

Read more: Classic kids games like kickball deemed unsafe by state in effort to increase summer camp regulation
    lol @ the sad state of America and people wonder why kids & adults are wimps
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

geostump is offline Senior Member
    So is tag and chase as they discriminate popular kids and the unpopular kids. I've even had calls from our kids's schools where they can't allow the kids to walk home during a thunderstorm due to the fact they could die. When the principal called me about that, I told her the kids have a better chance of being hit by car than struck by lightning then had a few choice words for her.
    Georgette

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Canada = Better. The last camp I went to had archery, kayaking (I flipped in knee high water and had to walk back through mud with sharp stuff in it) and a nice game of "war" (run to the enemy base, get a ball and bring it back without getting caught) in the middle of the night. Half the camp was wooded so we ran through the woods, we swam the lake and jumped the fences in the middle of the night for ping pong balls.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Is this a result of lawsuits? I hardly doubt the state truly cares for the health of children, but perhaps greedy parents ran too wild with suing programs over their kids getting hurt?

Probably greedy parents and the risk of lsoing state funding.
    Georgette

PixieKitten is offline Senior Member
    That's really... quite.. pathetic. I loved running around and playing outside as a kid, I'd always come back with bruised shins and scraped knees just do do exactly the same thing the next day!
    Bunny trainer extraordinaire!

Schools are making our kids soft and politically correct.
    Georgette

Trishie is offline Member
    Unbelieveable...I remember when they said that dodge ball was no longer allowed in schools. My heart sank. Now kickball? I got 10 stitches in my arm after playing "steal the bacon" in a lot with glass, broke my wrist while jumping over huge stone turtles they used to have where I lived, twisted my ankles numerous times playing football (this girl played hard!). I climbed fences, trees. Scratches, scrapes and yes sometimes breaks are a part of play!!! Kids nowadays are just like the little one above, wrapped in bubble wrap. It's sad. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing.

Red Rover was banned at my elementary school in 1986 when I was in 5th grade for it being deemed "too rough". Kids would get busted noses and bloody lips from that. Come on, that was fun stuff!
    Georgette

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I just watched a TEDS video by Gever Tulley this AM that nicely counters this false protection of children: 5 truly dangerous things you should let your children do.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast