Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Ancestral Health" logo: something is amiss page

shannonstoney is offline Senior Member

"Ancestral Health" logo: something is amiss

Check out the logo for the "Ancestral Health" symposium:

Ancestral Health

It reminds me of those illustrated children's bibles of the fifties. Adam and Eve are represented as being basically a "Mad Men" era couple of the fifties: she with her neatly curled hair, he clean-shaven and shorn. Except they're kinda naked (but you never see their pubes, as Beavis or Butthead would say). I didn't buy it when I was a kid, and I don't buy it now.

Surely Grok and Groketta had messier hair. And surely Groketta had a few more muscles.

I also don't like the Man the Hunter, Woman the Gatherer trope.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Ha! That logo is awfully silly, and I think you did a nice job summing up why.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Actually, it says that it's about 'modern health' and I think they're a fairly modern-looking, if buck-naked couple. But I don't see why she had to carry the basket!

shannonstoney is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, give her the spear, and make him tote that bale.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    I love how feminist the people here are being. BIGGER MUSCLES EQUALS HUNTER!!!!!!!!!!!!
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I like that they included a female figure--there's a tendency in the paleo-sphere to focus on the image of the "caveman" (even Mark's a little guilty of this--Grok's pretty clearly a dude in the logo). However, I agree that the image is pretty gendered in its roles, and if they're supposedly modern, then why does he still get a spear? Is it for exercise or for sports? In that case, women play around with spears too. If they're historic, then the modern body outlines are off, and we're still not certain what roles paleolithic women played in hunting/gathering. Also, I agree that she's pretty undermuscled, especially when I look at most of the paleo/primal women I know!
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    If we're going *really* ancestral, they should both have afros that'd be brilliant!

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Her basket looks more neatly kept than I would imagine it to be. It looks more like a "nudist" gathering versus a "pre-historic" gathering. Either way, I wouldn't go.
    Georgette

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    A lot of the people in pictures I've seen of modern hunter-gatherers have closely cropped hair. What I don't tend to see is hair like the woman's. It seems women are more likely to keep it cropped or bound up. It's just easier. Also, that basket looks more like a modern picnic basket than something I'd want to go out gathering food with. I'd want something I could strap to my body so I could have my hands free.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    really?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast