Thread: Any Recipes for Venison Backstrap? page

HTownGirl is offline Senior Member

Any Recipes for Venison Backstrap?

Primal Fuel
    My brother gave me a bunch of venison. Anyway, I've never like venison but my brother gave it to me because I gave his daughter a gas stove when I replaced mine.

So, what's a good way to cook this stuff? Especially for a non-Venison eating person? I've decided to be open to new things that I never eat (I'm really not a picky eater at all--I just think I've never had good venison).

Any good backstrap recipes?

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Chili
    Curry
    pot roast
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

fishin-frog is offline Member
    Please don't make a beautiful backstrap into chili !! No offense to the post above, but whole backstrap is best on the grill after the silver skin is removed. Other cuts (quarters and such) are perfect to be cut into chili meat.

Look for a good marinade recipe if your new to venison, let it sit in the marinade overnight, grill it, but be careful to not overcook it. Venison dries out quickly. I prefer backstrap with olive oil, salt, pepper, some garlic powder, and a natural charcoal flame with a littlle mesquite . Slice it into medallions and enjoy. Yummm

You may find it a little more "chewy" than beef, for instance, but it's loaded with good stuff.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin-frog View Post
    Please don't make a beautiful backstrap into chili !! No offense to the post above, but whole backstrap is best on the grill after the silver skin is removed. Other cuts (quarters and such) are perfect to be cut into chili meat.

Look for a good marinade recipe if your new to venison, let it sit in the marinade overnight, grill it, but be careful to not overcook it. Venison dries out quickly. I prefer backstrap with olive oil, salt, pepper, some garlic powder, and a natural charcoal flame with a littlle mesquite . Slice it into medallions and enjoy. Yummm

You may find it a little more "chewy" than beef, for instance, but it's loaded with good stuff.
    Didn't know if hers was ground or not, that's why I mentioned chili.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Nik
    Nik is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin-frog View Post

I agree.....I love venison backstap sliced about 1/2 inch thick, sprinkled with montreal steak seasoning, and grilled or panfried. Do not overcook! I like ours medium rare.....I prefer it to any steak. Yum!!! I used to have a wonderful breaded recipe with mushrooms and stock and butter sauce, but...no breading now, and I actually just love the taste of it on it's own. If your interested in the other recipe, I can dig it up for you....it has a nice marinade.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    When I am feeding friends that come over that are squeamish about game I tend to cook in something with lots of other ingredients and a sauce. Stir fry is always a favorite, back strap is usually tender enough for a dish like that, and a good sauce will take the edge off the 'gamey' taste scare. You could try a goulash with zucchini ribbons for noodles, or marinade and make lettuce wrap fajitas.

I usually marinade whole 1-2lb backstrap pieces in olive oil, bit of wine/ACV/or tomato paste (an acid), minced garlic, and our favorite fresh herbs (usually rosemary, thyme, and pinch of oregano). I grill this to med rare on high heat, let it rest 5 mins under foil, and slice into medallions. This is great over a salad.

Dalton is offline Senior Member
    Fishin-frog is dead on....evoo, sea salt, cracked black pepper, charcoal and do NOT overcook.

HTownGirl is offline Senior Member
    Great suggestions, everyone! I also have a Gordon Ramsay cookbook with a recipe and it looks delish. I have horrible memories of fried breaded venison and the grease would just coat your mouth. Yuck!

I'm going to try it next weekend. This weekend I'm making Primal Potroast for Easter dinner.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by HTownGirl View Post
    My brother gave me a bunch of venison. Anyway, I've never like venison but my brother gave it to me because I gave his daughter a gas stove when I replaced mine.

So, what's a good way to cook this stuff? Especially for a non-Venison eating person? I've decided to be open to new things that I never eat (I'm really not a picky eater at all--I just think I've never had good venison).

Any good backstrap recipes?
    Quite honestly, the last time I had venison backstrap I did it sashimi style- as in sliced it into thin pieces and dipped in tamari sauce, raw. I suppose that may be a bit adventurous for you though, but it is really quite good.