Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having problems, need help... page

zsadie is offline Senior Member

Having problems, need help...

Shop Now
    I love MDA and the people who make it what it is; a rich community of like minded folks who want to truly LIVE, FEEL and BE optimally healthy. It's all about being human. I want to be there, I want to live the lifestyle.

I've been tremendously fascinated with the Primal Blueprint since tripping across it in November 2010. Then recalled that a friend of mine actually referenced it during the summer, but I dismissed it; as I was focused on the Blood Type Diet at the time. Reading PB however, I hooked on to every concept; believe it is the best way for long term healthy weight loss and a lifestyle that seems effortless to sustain. I love eating as I was meant to eat, whole truly natural foods and avoiding grains. I want to experience the joy of reaching my optimal health and maintaining it without much thought to it. So far it has been quite a struggle for me to ditch old habits.

I've never been one to try any type of fad, quicky diets. I steered clear of them knowing in the back of mind that they just weren't truly healthy. So I kept moderately searching for the best way that I could achieve my health goals. First it was Somersize as my mom had great success with it. This was hard because there is a lot more cooking involved than I was ready for at the time, so I didn't stick with it. Next it was the Blood Type Diet, and it made perfect sense! Get back to your DNA and match foods that are optimally processed in the body based on my blood type. Again, this just didn't go well as it involved more cooking as well. I did try some great new foods though that carry over nicely to PB! I even had a great inspiration from a friend who stuck to BTD like glue, and lost a significant amount of weight within a year! It was unbelievable seeing her transformation. I'm not sure what she weighed before, but it had to have been close to 300lbs and in 1 year she dropped to 160!!.

I know what I need to do to reach my optimal health potential. While at 33 I don't have any major health issues as of yet, I do feel the effects of eating the junk I do and those metabolic issues are on the horizon if I don't change. Lethargic, always tired, knees hurt, back hurts, lazy, moody, tummy aches, etc. It is more than the taste of fast and convenient that keeps me hanging on to eating the junk though. I am an emotional eater, and I am in the midst of a major transition in my life so am finding it difficult to eat healthy when there is immediate comfort conveniently located at every corner that is satisfying, quick, and admitedly delicious despite what it does to me afterwards.

My problems with weight loss are more psychological than simply not losing weight no matter what I try. My problem is I haven't stuck with anything I believed in for any length of time to even know what it's like to lose a significant amount of weight. I don't even have that much to lose! At 5'2", I'm 40 lbs overweight. I have no desire to be a top athlete and compete, but I do want to be in good shape to do the things I enjoy doing, I love sprinting, horseback riding, mountain biking, hiking; just getting out in nature. I've steered further and further away from these things for the pain they cause me afterwards in my current shape.

I've learned that allowing those few indulgences as part of the 20% don't work for me, as each time I've 'cheated', I slipped into bad habits again. So when I get back on PB, it has to be 100% full throttle until I may feel comfortable with slipping in an old favorite every now and again.

I know I will get back on track, but what can I do to help myself break whatever barriers inside me that keep me from sticking with it? What suggestions do others have to help persevere through difficult times?
    "Achievement begins with belief."

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson-

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread27309.html

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Keep posting here or on any other supportive blog you might have. Socializing, even through the internet, with like-minded people really helps me succeed.

If snacking is an issue for you, make up some little ziploc bags with measured amounts of primally-accepted snackables to grab in a hurry (if you're heading out) or to stop you from taking a bag of potato chips to the tv or the computer.

Let us know what some of your weaknesses are and maybe we can give you some more specific insight.

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Hi Zsadie, you are already the person you want to be, you just need to fully realize that and start living it!
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

croí is offline Senior Member
    Zsadie, I'm right there with you! I can go a whole week and do just fine. But once Saturday hits, and I fall out of my normal routine cause I'm not at work, I start to think about my 20%. Then it turns into a full day of slipping. Sunday rolls around, and I start off great, but end up slipping by dinner time. What do you folks do to keep you from slipping when all the house work is done, and you just want to rest... but not cheat?!?!

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    Yes! Keep reading and posting here, it will be hugely motivating. Get the book. Some of the scientific info is a little dry but once you understand it this WOE makes so much sense. (I'm having to re-read certain chapters several times to get it into my none-too-bright, non-scientic gourd, even though Mark has written it for a lay person to understand.)

Start looking at anything refined - sugar, flour, unpronouncable additives and all the rubbish made from such - as poison, because that's what it is. It may taste good to you now, but once you've re-trained your taste buds it won't.

Give it your best shot! All you've got to lose is weight, bad health and a shortened life.

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by croí View Post
    Zsadie, I'm right there with you! I can go a whole week and do just fine. But once Saturday hits, and I fall out of my normal routine cause I'm not at work, I start to think about my 20%. Then it turns into a full day of slipping. Sunday rolls around, and I start off great, but end up slipping by dinner time. What do you folks do to keep you from slipping when all the house work is done, and you just want to rest... but not cheat?!?!
    I don't keep anything in the house that I shouldn't eat.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I don't think of the 20% as literally having 1/5 of my intake be non-primal. I aim for 100% but don't obsess about the fact that I'm probably eating some processed seed oils when I eat out. I don't worry that I had a little ice cream at a birthday party. For me, treats like that are a special occasion thing. Saturday is not a special occasion.

I have an autoimmune disorder so I think there's a real big built-in incentive to stay on track. I just remind myself how much better I feel now and it really makes the other stuff less attractive.

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    Start looking at anything refined - sugar, flour, unpronouncable additives and all the rubbish made from such - as poison, because that's what it is. It may taste good to you now, but once you've re-trained your taste buds it won't.
    +1,000,000. Seriously, this is what it takes. You have to retrain your mind as well as your taste buds.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Sassy is offline Senior Member
    What helped me in the beginning was to totally focus on all the fabulous things I COULD eat that I'd been denying myself for so long, based on CW. Eating bacon and putting butter on my veggies was like HEAVEN and I was having so much fun with it all, that it kept me motivated for a very long time. (After that, I had results and how I felt to motivate me)
    Sassy: Revised - my primal log

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast