Thread: Pregnant mums, better get those sugars and carbs in!!! page

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member

Pregnant mums, better get those sugars and carbs in!!!

Primal Fuel
    I came across this BBC News - Mother's diet during pregnancy alters baby's DNA

I wonder if it's because as children they eat carbs and their bodies cope more badly with them due to being adapted to their mums eating low carb during pregnancy. It says "It is thought that a developing baby tries to predict the environment it will be born into, taking cues from its mother and adjusting its DNA."

I love how the last paragraph equates eating low carb when pregnant as "a poor start to life"! Yes mums, eat that sugar, otherwise your child will be fat, diabetic and get heart disease! Yes lets eat loads of carbs so our babies are born better able to cope with the crappy Western diet!

Anyone willing to sacrifice their own health by eating more carbs, to help their baby cope better with them inlater life? Hmm, I don't think that's something I'd be willing to do.

The interesting thing to me is that from a paleo viewpoint, the article could be re-written from the perspective of saying the DNA is changed from the norm, in babies of mums who eat high carb, to help the baby cope better with it.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Paleobird Guest
    I read the same article just a few minutes ago. I think the idea was kind of a variation on the "thrifty gene" theme. If the baby in utero senses that carbs are super scarce "out there", it is going to become a carb hoarding machine.
    Nowhere was pigging out on sugar advocated for pregnant women. Just maybe that pregnancy is not the best time to be seeing how low you can go on the VLC. Some sweet potatoes and fruit perhaps?

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I read the same article just a few minutes ago. I think the idea was kind of a variation on the "thrifty gene" theme. If the baby in utero senses that carbs are super scarce "out there", it is going to become a carb hoarding machine.
    Nowhere was pigging out on sugar advocated for pregnant women. Just maybe that pregnancy is not the best time to be seeing how low you can go on the VLC. Some sweet potatoes and fruit perhaps?
    Haha, I just imagined a pregnant woman limbo-ing under a bar that says "carbs" on the side, with people surrounding her saying "how low can you go!"

In all seriousness, I agree. There is a very large area between high carb and VLC.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Buttercup is offline Senior Member
    That's strange because I've definitely seen studies saying the opposite for pregnant women. Well, not necessarily suggesting low carb, but, you know, the standard CW stuff about whole grains and vegetables and good protein. There is evidence stacking up that babies are indeed being born at a disadvantage when exposed to junk in utero. The book Deep Nutrition even argues that it only takes a few generations to lose all that great genetic heritage through bad diet. I heard somewhere, can't remember where, so please take this for the anecdote it is, but that very young children have been seen with plaque in their arteries. Yikes.
    The Paleo Periodical
    It's not a Diet. It's a lifestyle.

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Hmm how did I end up being jumped on? This isn't the Gary Taubes thread is it lol? I don't recall saying that the article said you should "pig out on sugar". I don't think my British humour came through very well. But surely no one though what I wrote was serious?! Ah well, never mind.

It does say "low in carbs such as sugars and starch" though, it doesn't say "low in wholegrains". And it does equate a low carb diet with "a poor start in life", in the comment from the BHA, and I certainly don't agree with that.

I don't see why it couldn't be that are are supposed to operate on a low carb diet with this thriftiness in action, and eating higher carb changes it. Otherwise we are talking from the perspective of higher carb = the norm, and low carb = dietary aberration and deprivation, which doesn't really make sense to me.

One of the things I like about the study is that it shows that people can differ in how well they handle carbs, and that those that handle them poorly are more likely to become obese. Especially with some of the obesity threads I've been in lately (not just here), it's nice to see that confirmed again.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    If I was pregnant I would seriously consider supplementing choline as it appears to be very significant in brain development:
    http://healthlongevity.blogspot.com/...-baby-and.html

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianag View Post
    If I was pregnant I would seriously consider supplementing choline as it appears to be very significant in brain development:
    HEALTH & LONGEVITY: Prenatal Choline For A Smarter Baby and Adult
    I seems like you could get quite a bit from egg consumption, especially since primal/paleo folks tend to eat way more eggs than most people.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/