Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Very High Protein, Low Fat Diet....doing well page

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

It appears I'm off of my 2+ month plateau. The older, higher weights are being seen on the scale less frequently, lower, newer ones more so.

My biggest enemies to dieting are hunger (shock!) and "eatertainment", which is mostly habit and psychological. I cannot do a different diet to slay eatertainment, but I can eat differently to feel satiated.

Here is what I've done: I'm eating as much protein as possible as a percentage of my diet. What I have discovered through recent experiments lasting a day or so, fats are no better than carbs at satiation. Only protein helps satiation.

By maximizing protein, minimizing fat (but not going to grains and starches,) keeping carbs in check, I'm not hungry for hours and hours after a VHP meal. "Low fat" here is relative to PB'ing, not what high carbers would call it. So, the second benefit is that I eat fewer calories in the day than I might have otherwise.

Since fat is more than double the calories of protein or carbs, fat is my enemy. Sorry, PBaholics, for this purpose, yes. Even trying to avoid fats, and eating VHP foods, it's hard to keep the fat calories much below 50%! So, it's not like I'm lipid deprived, or anything. It also means I'm eating foods many will disdain - no lectures, please - and that I won't eat on maintenance. (Howz that for optimism?) Like turkey bacon. Like three egg whites (with one whole egg.)

I'm keeping the carbs at 50 or less, one foray to 60.

My accidental yogurt cheese, see that thread, is a new staple, almost pure protein. Other important foods are non-fat yogurt in moderation. Roasted turkey breast (the very leanest meat available,) very lean pork, and very lean beef do well. My very lean cubed steak beef jerky. Fish and shrimp.

And then there's the truly magic bullet of the calories that protein needs to burn itself. How about 15-30%? If we use 25% as average TEF, that means for every gram of protein eaten, you can take that number away from the daily calorie count. Is that magic, or what?

I've been eating 160-240 grams of protein a day. I have no target, it's just what I getting to avoid hunger. My LBM is 172, which means I'm getting .93 to 1.4 grams a day. No issue with losing LBM, not that I have yet.

Now if I can only find that bullet for eatertainment.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

OTB, I sincerely do not understand all the effort and meticulous monitoring of your food. You depict eating as such a tedious thing to do I am almost exhausted after reading your post.

Just eat big steaks and non-starchy salads, supplement as necessary with 0-3 and others, and you'll find yourself with a high protein, high-ish fat, very low carb diet. Stick to it and you *will* see results.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

SeanBissell is offline Junior Member

OTB,

50% fat isn't too low

Sounds like a reasonable plan to me.

Hope it continues to go well for you!

I don't know how to combat the entertainment either...

Maybe someone else will have some ideas

-Sean

maba is offline Senior Member

Just curious, where do you get the 50% fats from if you eat egg-whites, fat-free yoghurt and lean meat?

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

OTB 50 percent isn't low at all... Some people work better on fat then others, some people work better on protein, and yes even some people work better on more carbs. Everyone is different in some ways, and everyone is the same in some ways. If you feel better eating protein then why would you not eat that way?

I hope you find a eating pattern that truly satisfies you and makes you happy and if this is it then good luck.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

I'm really pleased for you that you have found something that works for you, but I am so pleased I don't have to go through thus kind of hoopla myself. I would get so frustrated and quite frankly, lose motivation!

Acmebike is offline Member

I totally get the counting, documenting, weighing and measuring. That's what it took for me to shed 65lbs some time ago! I still go to that from time to time to re-learn/re-enforce portion and macro % control.

In fact your "eatertainment" has been an issue of mine, too. Doing challenges, or strict weeks, months has mad the "eatertainment" part of the fun/challenge. I've done tests of 90% fat, or 75% protein, or Zero Carb, or whatever it may be to keep myself focused and turn my attention to detail to help push things along.

Fasting is another "eatertainment" test I play with. I'll set a time goal (fasting and feeding window) and that helps me stay on target.

Good work OTB! I may have to try an extended High Protein test.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Thanks for the encouragement! Assorted responses:

SS, I don't recall you being on weight loss, but maintenance. I went off the Fitday for over two weeks, and then, sure enough, I started getting heavier even though by now I have a fairly good handle on guesstimating what I'm eating. During the two months on the plateau, I tried everything; carb reloading, high fat, even a day, just for the experience, of high carb. (I never felt satiated and wound up eating 2800 cals.) IF'ing....no thanks! I was miserable.

I didn't want to make a long post longer, but the matter of individual variation is huge, I've come to realize. Hours of Lyle McDonald pages has surely taught me that. The thought of zero carbing is depressing, but a few dozen grams a day of carbs keeps me happy, physically and mentally.

I thought I said, no, this is not "low fat" in the general sense, but is so in a PB sense.

The fats come with any animal product I eat. I mentioned a few things of low and no fat, but even turkey breast is 20% fat by calories. The very lean pork and beef are about 30%, and yummy steaks, for instance, about 50%. So, unless I want to add hearthealthyhighfibernutritiouswholegrains, 40% fat is about as low as can be done.

Mr B Guest

I do believe in "whatever works" for the individual

but coming from someone who was pretty obsessive-compulsive about measuring, counting and all that.....that sounds pretty tedious. lol

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

[quote]

The thought of zero carbing is depressing,
    </blockquote>

lol OTB.

I second the thought that we are all different. I tend to be more of a pragmatist though, and really love steak, so boredom or zero-ish carbing are not issues for me. I have actually reached a point where I crave fatty meat and find the most satisfaction after literally gorging on it. But then again, that&#39;s me.

I guess I would consider myself in maintenance because I seem to be close to my ideal weight, so further weight loss is not evident. But I am roughly still eating the same way I started.

On the other hand, I am sure this is probably my lowest reachable %bf with zero exercise and my eventual beer binges anyway. If I wanted a beach body I&#39;d cut on the beer, IF more, get more active and I&#39;m sure I&#39;d get it.

I just happen to have a general aversion to exercise. Or as others would put it, I&#39;m a lazy bastard.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast