Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to bed hungry = weight/fat-loss? True or false? page

tanyayogi is offline Senior Member
    Buenos Aires until I start at NYU in the fall!

Going to bed hungry = weight/fat-loss? True or false?

Primal Fuel
    I've always been told this. Is it true regardless of how many calories you ate?

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Low insulin levels promotes fat metabolism regardless of the time of day.

captaineight is offline Senior Member
    I think it's a good idea simply because you're not using up very much energy during the night. If you put energy into your body and then "hibernate", where do you think that energy is going to go? On top of that is the fact that sleep encourages satiety. There's some quote, I can't quite remember it and can't find it on google, but it's something like "sleep is as good as a banquet to a hungry man", and it's true. Go to bed hungry, you won't wake up hungry.

sillysarah is offline Member
    But don't go to bed starving, or sleep will not come easily... In my experience at least. But +1 on the not waking up hungry part... Either way, I don't make a habit of it. I like to be on just about empty before I sleep, but not below. Anything else messes with my rest.

Omni Blender is offline Junior Member
    I can never sleep if I go to bed hungry, so I have some low calorie soup before I go to sleep. Yes, it's no exciting but it has lots of vitamins and ensures that I can get a good night sleep.
    Last edited by Omni Blender; 04-26-2011 at 01:29 AM.

Damn it ... I just posted out a long reply and my computer crashed.

Okay, so I'll try and summarise.

First and most importantly, this is not scientific fact. This is my 2c. It could be completely wrong, and like everything else (believe it or not), I'm more than willing to stand corrected given some good evidence.

Secondly, I'm certainly not suggesting anyone go to bed "starving". In fact, realisticly, none of us are going to literally do that. But I wouldn't even suggest going to bed "really hungry", just "not full" - like "I could happily eat right now", but not with a growling stomach and shaking with hunger.

I strongly suspect that we, and our palaeolithic ancestors, are designed to a certain extent to be "lean, mean and hungry"; and yes, there is oodles of scientific evidence to support this hypothesis. I think that for those of us looking to get really lean, like < 15% bodyfat, we're going to have to accept that we're going to be slightly hungry sometimes. For more well-padded individuals, this probably doesn't apply; they can probably drop quite a lot of bodyfat on a relatively "normal" diet that doesn't involve much feelings of hunger at all (given that it's a healthy, low carb diet).

My theory about going to be "a little bit hungry" can be summarised by 1) we're going to have to feel some hunger sometime; 2) why fill yourself with energy just when you're shutting down? Where do you think that energy will go? and 3) there's the added bonus that you don't wake up hungry. Once accustomed to it, it's easy to wake up and fast until mid-morning or lunch time if you want. The meal before bed really seems unnecessary.

P.S. Tanya, I just realised something ... aren't you recovering for anorexia? All due respect, but this is the last thing that should be in your mind. You should eat whatever you like and listen to those who love you. Apologies if I've made some mistake.

norak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sillysarah View Post
    But don't go to bed starving, or sleep will not come easily... In my experience at least. But +1 on the not waking up hungry part... Either way, I don't make a habit of it. I like to be on just about empty before I sleep, but not below. Anything else messes with my rest.
    I agree. A light snack before bed works best for me. I can never sleep on an empty stomach.

profdjj is offline Senior Member
    I can't go to bed full - I hardly ever eat dinner.

tanyayogi is offline Senior Member
    Buenos Aires until I start at NYU in the fall!
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by captaineight View Post
    I think it's a good idea simply because you're not using up very much energy during the night. If you put energy into your body and then "hibernate", where do you think that energy is going to go? On top of that is the fact that sleep encourages satiety. There's some quote, I can't quite remember it and can't find it on google, but it's something like "sleep is as good as a banquet to a hungry man", and it's true. Go to bed hungry, you won't wake up hungry.
    Yeah your body produces a natural appetite suppressant and doesn't allow for fat stores to accumulate if you get enough sleep. I find it so cool when I go to bed like with my belly rumbling and I wake up full!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast