Thread: D-Ribose, Corvalen? page

DKSABS is offline Member

D-Ribose, Corvalen?

My doctor recommended Corvalen D-Ribose to help with Fibromyalgea, Adrenal Fatigue and Chronic Fatigue symptoms. I read some reviews and people seemed to be raving about how wonderful this supplement made them feel, so I ordered some and it arrived today. I got back online to try to figure out how to use it and saw that it is a form of sugar. Now I'm worried it may cause spikes in blood sugar levels and may bring back cravings.

Has anyone here used D-Ribose? If so, do you like it? Does it seem to help? Does it taste really sweet and cause any spikes in blood sugar levels or aggravate your cravings for sweets? I haven't opened it and tried it yet. I would love it if this supplement will help me have more energy without interfering with my diet. I'm right in the middle of a Paleo Whole 30 right now, and I don't know if this supplement would constitute cheating on the Whole 30 or not. I may wait till the Whole 30 is over before trying it out, depending on the feedback and comments I hear from anyone here. Thanks!

DKSABS is offline Member
    Bumping for the daytime crowd. Does anyone have any experience with d-Ribose?

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    not sure if it helps CFS, i would try curcumin....

Assessment of Hematological and Biochemical parameters with extended D-Ribose ingestion.

Seifert J, Frelich A, Shecterle L, St Cyr J.

Human Performance Laboratory, St. Cloud State University, St. Cloud, MN, USA. jgseifert@stcloudstate.edu
    Abstract

ABSTRACT: D-ribose, a naturally occurring pentose carbohydrate, has been shown to replenish high- energy phosphates following myocardial ischemia and high intensity, repetitive exercise. Human studies have mainly involved short-term assessment, including potential toxicity. Reports describing adverse effects of D-ribose with prolonged ingestion have been lacking. Therefore, this study assessed the toxicity of extended consumption of D-ribose in healthy adults. Nineteen subjects ingested 20 grams/Day (10 grams, twice a Day) of ribose with serial measurements of biochemical and hematological parameters at Days 0, 7, and 14. No significant toxic changes over the 14-day assessment period occurred in complete blood count, albumin, alkaline phosphatase, gamma glutamyltransferase, alanine amiotransferase, and aspartate aminotransferase. However, D-ribose did produce an asymptomatic, mild hypoglycemia of short duration. Uric acid levels increased at Day 7, but decreased to baseline values by Day 14. D-ribose consumption for 14 days appears not to produce significant toxic changes in both hematological and biochemical parameters in healthy human volunteers.

Effects of ribose as an ergogenic aid.

Peveler WW, Bishop PA, Whitehorn EJ.

Department of Health and Kinesiology, Mississippi University for Women, Columbus, MS 39701, USA. wpeveler@muw.edu
    Abstract

The amount of adenosine triphosphate (ATP) stored in the muscle available for immediate use is limited, and once used, must be resynthesized in the muscle. Ribose, a naturally occurring pentose sugar, helps resynthesize ATP for use in muscles. There have been claims that ribose supplements increase ATP levels and improve performance. Other studies have provided mixed results on the effectiveness of ribose as an ergogenic aid at high doses. None of these studies have compared the impact of the recommended dose of ribose on athletes and nonathletes under exercise conditions that are most conducive for effectiveness. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effectiveness of ribose as an ergogenic aid at the dose recommended for supplements currently on the market during an exercise trial to maximize its efficacy. Male subjects (n = 11) performed 2 trials 1 week apart. Each trial consisted of three 30-second Wingate tests with a 2-minute recovery between each test. Trials were counterbalanced, with 1 trial being performed with 625 mg of ribose and the other with a placebo. Peak power, mean power, and percent decrease in power were recorded during each Wingate test. Repeated-measures analysis of variance (p > 0.05) found no significant differences between ribose and placebo. These results suggest that ribose had no effect on performance when taken orally, at the dose suggested by the distributor.

basically, ribose is a 5 carbon carbohydrate and will be used by the body for energy, as dextrose would be used for energy. youd be better served having more carbohydrates because the body manufactures the ribose it needs out of ingested carbohydrates than supplementing an ergogenic

DKSABS is offline Member
    Thank you so much for the reply and the info. After my doctor mentioned it, I found it on Amazon and it had really high reviews by several people dealing with CFS and Fibromyalgea. Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Corvalen Ribose 280 grams One of the reviewers said she is sleeping much better at night too, and I have struggled with sleep issues my entire life. I was very hopeful that it would help, but didn't realize it is similar to sugar until it came in the mail yesterday. I don't think Amazon would let me return it, so I may go ahead and give it a try, but will wait until the Whole 30 is over because I don't want to compromise the Whole 30. One of the reviewers also said it doesn't cause any blood sugar spikes, but I see that your first reference states that there was a slight hypoglycemic response of short duration, so that concerns me. The first reference was testing people at twice the normal dose, so I don't know if I would have a risk of the hypoglycemic response at the normal dose or not. I was hoping that someone on the forum had actually tried this supplement and could share his/her experience with it.

Thanks again!

marigoldmaker is offline Junior Member

Cool

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by DKSABS View Post
    Thank you so much for the reply and the info. After my doctor mentioned it, I found it on Amazon and it had really high reviews by several people dealing with CFS and Fibromyalgea. Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Corvalen Ribose 280 grams One of the reviewers said she is sleeping much better at night too, and I have struggled with sleep issues my entire life. I was very hopeful that it would help, but didn't realize it is similar to sugar until it came in the mail yesterday. I don't think Amazon would let me return it, so I may go ahead and give it a try, but will wait until the Whole 30 is over because I don't want to compromise the Whole 30. One of the reviewers also said it doesn't cause any blood sugar spikes, but I see that your first reference states that there was a slight hypoglycemic response of short duration, so that concerns me. The first reference was testing people at twice the normal dose, so I don't know if I would have a risk of the hypoglycemic response at the normal dose or not. I was hoping that someone on the forum had actually tried this supplement and could share his/her experience with it.

Thanks again!
    I know this is an old post, and not sure what you decided.
    However, my husband started taking this about 1 week about at the recommendation of our Functional Medicine doctor. He has been suffering from fatigue, sleep disruption and severe muscle cramping for several years, and it has progressively gotten worse. This is even though he eats Paleo most of the time.

After 1 week on Corvalen-M, he is sleeping better, and his energy levels are increasing.

Also, so be alarmed because it is a sugar. All sugars are not glucose (the one that has the effect of raising your blood sugar). There are actually many beneficial forms of sugar that are used by our bodies. D-Ribose is one of those. If anything, it has the effect of LOWERING your blood sugar.

Hope this helps.