Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much nuts is too much nuts? Newbie question page

vibrantblue is offline Junior Member

How much nuts is too much nuts? Newbie question

Shop Now
    Okay, to be honest, I haven't been weighing or measuring amounts any more than just whatever fits in my hand. :lol: My measurement consists of 'handful of nuts'. During the day I'll probably eat 3-4 handfuls (some ground in recipes) of a mix of walnuts, pecans or cashew.

Is that too much nut? I need snack options that are portable, non-messy high in protein and fat, which I believed my nut snacking to be.

tanyayogi is offline Senior Member
    Buenos Aires until I start at NYU in the fall!
    That's how much I eat, usually. Today: 1/4 cup almond milk, then like 1/4-1/2 cup of almond meal for a pancake.
    I'm also a newbie though. Most PBers eat I think a little less than 3-4 handfuls/day - more like 1-2. They eat more meat, I think. This is just my perception - may or may not be true.
    Try and calculate the exact amount of nuts you eat and how many grams of carbs it is and then see if it's too much.

aktres is offline Senior Member
    How much nuts is enough nuts? As enough nuts as it takes to get you through the day, until that much nuts is more than enough nuts, then you can cut back. I used to keep nuts at my desk for an afternoon snack, now I don't even think about snacking. Eat what you like (primally) until you decide to make an adjustment, it's all good.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    I believe Mark says 1 ounce a day. If you are trying to lose weight or optimize your omega ratios 3 to 4 handfuls is probably too much.

morganpmiller is offline Senior Member
    Depends on the person, lifestyle, and their metabolism I think. I've probably been eating way too much nuts, especially at night.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I ate quite a few nuts in the beginning. The were a great tool to keep me from getting to hungry when I didn't have a primal meal handy. I lost weight very consistently even with them in my diet. I am now very established in my primal eating and have decided to cut them out for 30 days. I do miss the convenience and yumminess, but it is not as hard as I expected it to be.

morganpmiller is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I ate quite a few nuts in the beginning. The were a great tool to keep me from getting to hungry when I didn't have a primal meal handy. I lost weight very consistently even with them in my diet. I am now very established in my primal eating and have decided to cut them out for 30 days. I do miss the convenience and yumminess, but it is not as hard as I expected it to be.
    Why are you cutting out nuts for 30 days?

They type of nuts we are eating makes a difference as well. Some nuts are better for health than others.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Depends on your goals. If you just want to maintain or achieve a given weight then can allow more nuts than if your goal is to avoid or overcome diseases of civilisation. I don't cook with nuts or nut products but will eat them if they come in a meal, especially one cooked by my wife
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Too many nuts isthe amount that upsets your stomach, halts your fat loss (if you are trying to lean out) or gives you signs of high inflammation (joint pain etc). Your consumption could be doing that but you're the only person who can know for sure what your tolerance is.

Grizz is offline Banned
    This article explains it perfectly. If you want to lose weight, then give up the nuts, cheese and other high fat foods.
    The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. Low-carb and calories

The body will NOT burn its own fat reserves if you are eating enough fat in your diet to supply your energy needs.... even if you are on a ultra low carb diet. Fats & Oils are energy dense.

Grizz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast