Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleolithic style diet and skin/acne - has it helped anyone? page

captaineight is offline Senior Member

Paleolithic style diet and skin/acne - has it helped anyone?

Primal Fuel
    I don't suffer from acne myself, thankfully. However I am curious on another's behalf.

I did read somewhere that someone went on a paleo-styled diet to help their skin, and succeeded. Has anyone else had this experience, is there any good evidence to support the idea, and does anyone, by any chance, have any before-after flicks?

Thanks.

HTownGirl is offline Senior Member
    All I know is that when I was out with friends Friday night, they were raving about my skin and how great it is looking. I mean, they were going on and on about it. I am almost 52, and of course, I loved that!

And I'm only on Day 23!

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Yes it definitely does. Anything that controls inflammation is going to reduce the intensity of the pimples. Just my observation, anything that irritates the gut has the potential to enable pimples to form in those who are predisposed to it (me! Free of all acne if I stay reasonably paleo). Various nutrients help in skin health as well. Professor Loren Cordain has an e-book that is supposedly pretty good.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

porcelain is offline Senior Member
    Lord, I turned to paleo solely to help my skin. My vanity is NOT concerned with my weight but my SKIN.

Some of us have a parasympathetic nervous system (prone to alkaline), others a sympathetic nervous system (prone to acidity). A lot of skin issues are rooted from your pH balance and paleo helps those with a more alkaline system, not particularly those that have an overly acidic balance. Not a lot of Mark followers seem to understand this since they think everyone can live off just meat, but the same foods have the OPPOSITE pH effects on the two members of the nervous system.

Paleo is not for everyone, but it definitely is in the case for me. I break out almost immediately if I eat too alkaline heavy.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Just this afternoon, I was listening to an episode of Underground Wellness in which a mother called into the show and said her teenage son's acne had completely cleared since going paleo (no dairy). I've seen lots of other similar posts here over time. Inflammation, inflammation, inflammation.... it's behind so much of what ails modern man.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by porcelain View Post
    Lord, I turned to paleo solely to help my skin. My vanity is NOT concerned with my weight but my SKIN.

Some of us have a parasympathetic nervous system (prone to alkaline), others a sympathetic nervous system (prone to acidity). A lot of skin issues are rooted from your pH balance and paleo helps those with a more alkaline system, not particularly those that have an overly acidic balance. Not a lot of Mark followers seem to understand this since they think everyone can live off just meat, but the same foods have the OPPOSITE pH effects on the two members of the nervous system.

Paleo is not for everyone, but it definitely is in the case for me. I break out almost immediately if I eat too alkaline heavy.
    All of us have both parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous systems Autonomic nervous system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Both are necessary for life. I think what you are might be talking about is the balance between the two.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

QuirkyPixy is offline Senior Member
    I have been paleo for 8 months with no difference to my skin even after cutting out nuts, fruit and dairy for over a month and eating very little omega 6. I have underlying health issues though, and I'm sure that paleo would likely help most other people clear their skin. Also, reducing stress is just as important as eating a clean diet, I think.
    * Pixy's Quest for Regaining Health *
    Trying to gain weight, clear scarring acne, and fix thyroid and digestive issues with primal lifestyle- here goes something!

porcelain is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JKC View Post
    All of us have both parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous systems Autonomic nervous system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Both are necessary for life. I think what you are might be talking about is the balance between the two.
    Yes, thanks for the correction, that is what I mean by balanced. One will always be slightly more dominant than the other and that's determined by the individual.

Styrofoam Jones is offline Senior Member
    I've had horrible skin pretty much my entire life. I was breaking out before my peers even knew what a pimple was. It has definitely improved since starting primal / paleo, but it's still very far from what I'd call good. Eliminating gluten got rid of the small, rash-like bumps that used to cover my entire face like sheets of sandpaper. And a combination of kicking all grains and most dairy and supplementing with Vitamin D has completely gotten rid of my body acne. I still break out on my face, but what used to be kind of severe acne is now just "normal" acne. I don't scar nearly as easily either. It's something I guess.
    Last edited by Styrofoam Jones; 04-18-2011 at 05:47 PM.

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    Yes.

After two decades of chronic acne on my scalp, chest, and upper back, it all cleared up. Gone, poof. Dermatologists told me it was a chronic infection and gave me 9 months of antibiotics before I gave up.

But after 2 weeks of primal/paleo, having given up the grains, it was magically gone! After 3 months it hasn't returned (although I do breakout a tad whenever I eat something lightly breaded) My nasty plantar fascitis of one year cleared up too.

4 years ago I tried South Beach and lost alot of weight but didn't lose the acne, probably because whole grains were cool on that diet. I know better now. (did clear up the plantar fascitis at that time too though)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast