Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone pick up a sweet-tooth AFTER going Primal? page

mixie is offline Senior Member

Anyone pick up a sweet-tooth AFTER going Primal?

Primal Fuel
    I've never craved sugar, routinely. Pre-primal, I enjoyed a good cane sugar soda every once in a while, but was never one to gravitate toward desserts or chocolate, candies or sweets.
    Now I find myself viciously craving sugar, not every single day, but probably three or four times this week. It's always been at times where I wasn't hungry, so I could sort of observe the feeling in a very detached way without actually feeling the need to feed the craving... but it does strike me as very weird.
    I read somewhere around that this is more likely a signal for more fat, but I feel like I'm already eating a great deal of fat. Any other thoughts? Is this a trustworthy signal of an actual need of some kind, or just the dying pangs of a pasta-loving soul in a post-carb existence?
    “Falconry is not a hobby or an amusement; it is a rage. You eat and drink it, sleep it and think it. You tremble to write of it, even in recollection. It is as King James the First remarked, an extreme stirrer up of passions.” --T.H. White, The Godstone and the Blackymor

"The world must be all fucked up when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."
    - Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    I'm guessing it is just carb withdrawal. I periodically get intense cravings for diet coke of all things. Weird.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    I can't provide any answers to your questions, Mixie; but I'll just chime in that I, also, experienced odd sweets cravings recently. For the last decade or so, I've been more or less low-carb and take fish oil with most meals, which leaves me satisfied for long periods, and very rarely subject to any kind of cravings.

A few months ago, I started doing intermittent fasting (IFing). I was amazed at how easy it was for me to go 18-24 hours without any food, and without feeling the least bit of hunger. But the strange thing was, during extended fasts, even though I wasn't hungry, I started to crave sweets -- specifically, I noticed, any kind of nut- or seed-candy, such as sesame brittle, peanut butter, almond nougats, peanut crunch candy, etc. -- no other sweets. And I'm not a nut fiend, either -- typically, a few nuts is all I need to feel satisfied. And I haven't even *eaten* most of the nut-sweets I was craving, for probably 10+ years. Weird phenomenon!
    Last edited by healthseekerKate; 04-18-2011 at 05:09 PM.

...weird!
    “Falconry is not a hobby or an amusement; it is a rage. You eat and drink it, sleep it and think it. You tremble to write of it, even in recollection. It is as King James the First remarked, an extreme stirrer up of passions.” --T.H. White, The Godstone and the Blackymor

"The world must be all fucked up when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Not all sugar-addicts actually eat what we usually think of as sweets. How much bread, pasta, bagels, rice, potatoes, "bars" (energy, protein, ,etc.), sports drinks, sweetened yogurt, unfermented milk, dried fruit, jams, juices, etc., did you typically eat before, in servings/day? It may have been few or none; I'm just trying to get a feel for where the problem may or may not lie.

My husband was a non-sweet-lover before primal and still is, fwiw to have one other person's story.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Hmm... pre-primal, off that list the only things I ate with any frequency were sourdough bread, and pasta. We had pasta for dinner usually once a week, whole grains like brown rice or barley at (almost) every meal, and potatoes probably twice a week. Home-cultured yogurt rarely, raw milk in spurts (I'd drink a few glasses fresh when I picked it up once a week, or every other week, but cultured the rest of the milk pretty much immediately). No dried fruit, jams, sports drinks, bagels or bars... and OJ once a month or so. I'd be interested in any ideas you have! Fortunately the cravings have all come when I've been easily able to identify no real need for "food" per se, so it hasn't been too hard to fight it, but it sure is annoying when it happens.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Pre-primal, I was a chocoholic and ice cream lover. Post-primal, I tried using cacao beans in smoothies before finding out the issues with caffeine (never drank coffee). I am currently in love with honey. I also like fruits a lot, but that hasn't changed too much. I think honey covered nuts (with a little salt) along with the occasional chocolate bar has replaced my intense desire to eat large amounts of chocolate and ice cream . I wasn't fat eating like that before, but my systems definitely run smoother with raw local honey going down my throat vs the other stuff.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    I lost my sweet tooth in a bike accident about a year ago.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

CKATTO71 is offline Senior Member
    Since going primal, I have begun overindulging on dark chocolate. Not every day, but when I do eat it, it's the whole bar or close to it. I have weened myself down over the past couple weeks, but still when I give in to the temptation, it's ON!

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    How long has it been since you stopped eating the grains & raw milk? I'm thinking it's just a last desperate dash for some candida or some such trying to find a food source before dying off and exiting the building.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast