Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why does my scalp break out? page

Classic is offline Senior Member

Why does my scalp break out?

I have trouble with my scalp breaking out. I don't have dandruff. I have tried those hypo allergenic shampoos and they seem to work for a week or two then it starts all over. It seems like I develop an allergy to different shampoos if I use them very long.
    Don't tell me to go "pooless" cuz I have already tried that and cannot stand the way my hair feels and it does not help. I have tried vinegar and that seems a bit better but it came back again.

I am beginning to think it might be some kind of vitamin deficiency or something.
    There are so many smart, knowledgeable people on this site I thought perhaps one or more of you would have some ideas.

Anyone else have this problem??

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    It's doubtful there is one reason why scalps break out.

I had scalp (and back and chest) acne for 20 years and it all cleared up when i went grain-free.

Based on my own experience I have to ask how much grains you have been eating lately?

Of course, its ridiculous for me to ask that, but it demonstrates the difficulty of answering your question

I don't eat grains at all if I can help it. I rarely go out to eat so that I can avoid grains and PUFA's. I eat mostly meat and veggies with butter and saturated animal fats. I even stopped drinking milk. I do still have hard cheeses. I have been primal for 14 months.

Conner P. is offline Senior Member
    I have found that vinegar on its own will often leave hair feeling oily. Have you tried baking soda, rinse, and then vinegar? I am slowly figuring out what works best for me, but the other day I used 1tbsp of baking soda in ~20oz of water, then ~50/50 apple cider vinegar and water. Seemed to work out fairly well.

Camille is offline Member
    I have had the same issue all my life. My scalp is often "angry" in spots. Scaly, red, sometimes bloody, mainly on the back right area of my scalp. It can be very painful and itchy. Selsun Blue definitely helps with those breakouts, I've given up on all other dandruff shampoos because it's not really dandruff that I have. I always just chalked it up to shampoo allergies, and have learned to stay away from certain brands. I too refuse to go pooless, cuz let's face it, gross. I have pretty thick hair and sometimes I wonder if I'm not rinsing well enough. When I do focus on rinsing better, the issue is not as bad.

Oh, and it's also aggravated by stress. I have a sister and a friend that will have scalp breakouts when they are stressed, so it's not at all uncommon. At least theirs goes away when said stress is gone.

I find my scalp to not be so bad now that I've gone primal, but I've only been primal for a month and a half and it could be just a fluke. I've recently started using coconut oil (not topically yet), and I wonder that if it's some kind of fungus it will eventually die off.

Have you tried coconut oil?

I haven't tried the baking soda thing so I may give that a try. My hair is really thin so unless it is a little "damaged" it sits really close to my head. When I was using vinegar before as a rinse it dried it out so that it looked more straw like but did not sit close to my head.

Maybe the stress is what the problem is. I just finished 7 weeks on a Jury for a really horrific murder case. Perhaps I can relax a little now. Although I still feel a bit like I am in shock after finishing with that case.

Quote Originally Posted by Camille View Post
    I have had the same issue all my life. My scalp is often "angry" in spots. Scaly, red, sometimes bloody, mainly on the back right area of my scalp. It can be very painful and itchy. Selsun Blue definitely helps with those breakouts, I've given up on all other dandruff shampoos because it's not really dandruff that I have. I always just chalked it up to shampoo allergies, and have learned to stay away from certain brands. I too refuse to go pooless, cuz let's face it, gross. I have pretty thick hair and sometimes I wonder if I'm not rinsing well enough. When I do focus on rinsing better, the issue is not as bad.

Oh, and it's also aggravated by stress. I have a sister and a friend that will have scalp breakouts when they are stressed, so it's not at all uncommon. At least theirs goes away when said stress is gone.

I find my scalp to not be so bad now that I've gone primal, but I've only been primal for a month and a half and it could be just a fluke. I've recently started using coconut oil (not topically yet), and I wonder that if it's some kind of fungus it will eventually die off.

Have you tried coconut oil?
    I do eat coconut oil (about 2T/day) but have not tried it on my scalp.

Styrofoam Jones is offline Senior Member
    The one and only thing that has calmed my scalp is taking a razor and regularly shaving my head. My scalp has felt painful, itchy, and inflamed for years, and I've tried every glorified commercial product and folk remedy alike with little or no success. When I shave my head, it feels like my scalp can finally "breathe" and most of the irritation fades away. I'm always surprised by how smooth and healthy my scalp looks when I shave all my hair off. I can't help but think things like "there's no way this is the same head that felt like it had been soaked in gasoline and set on fire just yesterday".Three full days without a shave and the problems come right on back.

I find it pretty odd, actually. Shaving my face causes irritation but shaving my head does the opposite. But hey, whatever works. Hair sucks anyway.
    Last edited by Styrofoam Jones; 04-18-2011 at 06:54 PM.

Camille is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic View Post
    Maybe the stress is what the problem is. I just finished 7 weeks on a Jury for a really horrific murder case. Perhaps I can relax a little now. Although I still feel a bit like I am in shock after finishing with that case.
    That'll do it. Mine got really bad after moving to a new city. I blamed the water, but it was totally stress.

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have a pretty nasty itchy scalp. The one thing that helped a lot was taking coconut oil and mixing it with my shampoo to wash. I did like 1/4-1/2 tsp. in a normal amount of shampoo, foamed up in my hands and applied to wash. My hair is sometimes a bit greasy right after washing like this, but it seems to soak in by the second day, and then the effects last for another few washes. I do it about once a week (I wash my hair 3x per week).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast