Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite receipe with Avocados? page

BikerPike Guest

I've never been a fan but trying to expand my taste buds and have two Avocados need to use up before I leave for Florida tomorrow.

I'd love some of your favorite recipes with Avocado..dips maybe?

CaveGirl Guest

Well, basic guacamole is yummy, I like to mix up chopped avocados with flaked crabmeat and a vinegar dressing.

Although most times i just dice it up, drizzle with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper and eat it up!

maba is offline Senior Member

Guacamole, definitely yes. But if you're not a big fan, just chop it up and add it to your dalad. You probably won't notice it when eating w/ other veggies. Or add it to your smoothie. SassaFrass had a recipe for avocado icecream here.

nina_70 Guest

This is totally different, but there's a bunch of recipe's out there for Avocado chocolate mousse and I've heard it's fantastic. Most of them combine avocado with maple syrup, cocoa, and sometimes coconut oil, vanilla essence etc...

I haven't tried any of the recipe's yet, but have been thinking about it for a while. I'd replace the syrup w/ stevia or equivalent, but I loooove the idea of this as a semi-primal treat. Here's some links:

http://makeeverydayraw.blogspot.com/...ado-mouse.html

http://autonomieproject.wordpress.com/2008/07/29/vegan-recipe-of-the-week-raw-avocado-chocolate-mousse/

If you do try it let me know...I'm dying to find out if it's any good.

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member

Simply add to ceviche. For impressive presentation, slide avocados in half, discard pit, peel off skin, take tiny slice off the rounded portion so they don't wobble when you plate them, and fill hollows with ceviche.

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

A very popular in the tropics serving for avo's is dice, sugar, and lemon or lime juice. Now, obviously, sugar is not going on my plate, so I use xylitol or ethritol. Stevia is just too conentrated to sprinkle uniformly.

I just got another big Florida avo yesterday. They are coming into season, so keep an eye out in your stores for "alligator pears." Often called green skin avos. They aren't as common as the expensive, commodity controlled as Haas, but every bit as good.

Geoff is offline Member

OtB - that's making me pine for my days in the Sunshine State. Loved those Florida avos.

My fave is a variant on yours - split and pit the avocado. spritz with lemon or lime and some salt (hot sauce too if you're in the mood). Scoop with a grapefruit spoon and eat.

musajen is offline Junior Member

I find it's a great addition to turkey/chicken salad. I crock-potted a turkey breast with some curry (delish!) and then mixed the leftover turkey with a little mayo and avocado. You can either dice up the avocado or mash it in with the mayo. Really tasty combination - but I LOVE avocado. I also do the same with egg salad.

Basically anytime something calls for mayo, I'll use a little less mayo and mash avocado in with it.

62shelby Guest

its not my favourite and I dont do it all the time, but I love the chocolate pudding made with avocado, cocoa, vanilla, cinnamon and a little sweetener(poison) of choice.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I second the avocado pudding!!! Third, maybe? ANyway... I made mine with avocado, cocoa powder, stevia, vanilla. It was super tasty.

Also if you have any greens you could do a variant of this (from my diary, I made this on Friday):

Kale Slaw (actually a vegan[not that I advocate that]/raw recipe!)

4 c Kale, veins removed and chopped

1 small avocado

1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

1 round T sun dried tomatoes, chopped

1 T shallot chopped

oil (any kind) if needed

S&P to taste

Put all in bowl and mash up with hands! Thats it! Eat within a couple hours or the avo will brown. THIS IS SO GOOD!!!!

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast