Thread: Ponzu sauce recipe? page

Clymb is offline Senior Member

Ponzu sauce recipe?

Shop Now
    Anyone have a primal ponzu sauce recipe? One of my favorite things I get at my fav sushi restaurant is calamari tempura with ponzu dipping sauce, and I'm trying to primalize it at home. Thanks!

PatrickF is offline Senior Member
    Ponzu is juice of yuzu citrons, rice vinegar, soy sauce, mirin, konbu and bonito flakes.

The only questionable ingredients are soy sauce and mirin which you could substitute with tamari and sake. The biggest problem might be obtaining yuzu juice.

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    Oooh, I miss ponzu too! Haven't had it since I was in Japan! Will try that recipe out! (Although I'm pretty sure I can't find any yuzu...)

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickF View Post
    Ponzu is juice of yuzu citrons, rice vinegar, soy sauce, mirin, konbu and bonito flakes.

The only questionable ingredients are soy sauce and mirin which you could substitute with tamari and sake. The biggest problem might be obtaining yuzu juice.
    Can you substitute other citrus? And what is mirin and konbu? Most of the recipes I found involved sugar, which usually I would just substitute stevia if I felt it needed sweetness, but they involved browning it and I figured the flavor just wouldn't be the same.

PatrickF is offline Senior Member
    You certainly can use other citrus, but it's the most important ingredient in terms of flavor, so the taste will be different with different citrus. Yuzu has this special floral aroma that lemons or limes do not have. I have no idea what western japanese restaurants are using.

Mirin is a sweet rice wine that contains tons of sugar (more than cola), konbu (also spelled kombu) is a special kind of seaweed.
    Last edited by PatrickF; 04-19-2011 at 01:19 AM.