Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AJs 2nd try at PB page 2

AverageJoe is offline Junior Member
    yesterday I had:

L: Salad- mixed greens, handful of pieces of fruit (pears, grapes, craisins) and a few pistachios. I also ate a handful of pistachios b/c the salad did not have much protein/fat.

S: Unfortunately i was starving when i got home. So i had 3 pieces of bacon when i got home.

Supper: I had 2 small chicken legs and 2 pieces of bacon and green beans.

I felt fine yesterday: i am going to the store today so i should be able to eat a little better (not so much bacon). I have not been tracking my calories or carbs but i think i am doing well. I am wondering if i should get a glucose meter to test my blood sugar or i think they have a test to see if i am in ketosis. Anyone have an opinion on those tests? would it be worth getting or should i just start counting calories\carbs?
    Last edited by AverageJoe; 04-21-2011 at 06:34 AM.

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AverageJoe View Post
    I am wondering if i should get a glucose meter to test my blood sugar or i think they have a test to see if i am in ketosis. Anyone have an opinion on those tests? would it be worth getting or should i just start counting calories\carbs?
    Honest question: Does being in ketosis matter? Also, it's not an either/or situation between "get tests" or "count calories." You really don't need to do either. It depends on how you want to approach this. In your first post, you said you were looking to subscribe to the KISS method, so I say screw the tests (really not needed) and don't count calories unless you're seeing a persistent issue with progress or you're just plain curious.

If you've read the book and understand the basics in terms of how to approach your day-to-day living (and you know what to avoid and why), give yourself a few weeks with a steady kind of routine before you look to adjust/measure anything.
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Great. I would rather not do either. I just wanted to make sure i did not waste all my effort just to find out that i was doing something wrong. I am re-reading the book b/c i just skimmed it the first time. Ketosis does not matter but it would let me know that my carbs are low enough but like you said I would rather keep it simple. So i will just wait and see what my progress is for the first month. Thanks.

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    No worries, man. The worst thing to do early on is to overthink things or try to measure results too soon. My Director of Studies used to say "Plan the course but teach the class." Same thing with the Primal Blueprint: "Plan your long-term goals while living each day to get there." If things start to seem like they're getting too simple, you're doing it right.
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Yesterday:
    Breakfast:2 pieces of bacon, 16 oz of green tea
    Snack: 2 handfuls of sunflower seeds.
    Lunch: Salad- Spinach, Romaine Lettuce, Seeds, Grapes, Chicken, Raisin
    Snack: 1 handful of pistachios
    Snack: 2 pieces of bacon
    Supper: 6-8 skinny steaks (thinly sliced pieces of eye of round cooked in organic butter/garlic/herbs)

Went to the butcher shop picked up some: bone in chicken breast, beef ribs, flank steak for jerky, ham. I still need go to the produce store for veggies/fruit.

I feel good. I did not have the carb flu too bad, just that second day.

I am not looking forward to eating this weekend w/ families for Easter. I should be able to just eat turkey/ham/veggies/fruit, the only thing that will trip me up is mashed potatoes. My mom makes them specifically for me. I am going to just have one small helping and load my plate w/ meat/veggies.

Ok. Here is what i ate the last three days as best as i can remember.

Friday:
    B: 2 pieces of bacon 16oz of green tea
    L: 6-8 skinny steaks
    S: chicken breast and carrots

Saturday:
    B: half a banana and tbl of almond butter, 16oz of green tea
    L: flank steak cooked in EVOO
    S: Ham and broccoli/cheese casserole, 1 sip of champagne. (not sure what was in the casserole but i am assume just broccoli/cheese and maybe some sour cream or milk. I had a couple plates of Ham so I probably had too much.
    Also had 2 glasses of red wine at the end of the day.

Sunday:
    B: IF
    L: Turkey and Ham, 1/2 a sweet potato, and 1 scoop of mashed potatoes, 1 sip of champagne
    S:Ham and Turkey, 1 piece of American cheese
    Also had 2 glasses of wine throughout the day.

I feel like I did good for my first holiday on PB. I had to go to two Easter dinners and the worst things that I ate were a little of homemade mashed potato/sweet potato and some fruity wine. I am sure the wine was not the healthiest, it was sweet. i think they were rose, strawberry, or sangria. I am not sure I did not see the bottles.
    Last edited by AverageJoe; 04-25-2011 at 09:32 AM.

Well after one week here are my updated stats:

Weight:255 (so that is 7lbs lighter)
    Waist:44 3/4 (so about 1/4" smaller)

Most importantly I feel fine. I am not always hungry or struggling to stay on track. I am happy with the results, I realize that some of the weight is water weight. I am going to try and start to do some mini workouts this week (pushups/squats/planks).

Pink Grokoddess is offline Senior Member
    Amazing Progress!! and Woo hoo for the first holiday on PB !!! I started mine like 5 days before X-mas.. :| those holidays seem to get right in the way of things eh??
    "If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place." Nora Roberts

Start December 20th 2010: 177 lbs
    Currant: 136 lbs
    Goal: 125 lbs
    11 more lbs to go

Follow My Journey :-)

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yesterday's Meals
    B: banana and almond butter and 16oz of green tea
    L: ham and apples ( tried to make a sauce. heavy cream, cinnamon, water, butter) it was just ok, too much butter.
    Snack: 4 pieces of bacon
    Supper: pineapple, turkey, cheese
    Snack: another slice of pinapple

I know too much pineapple but I was craving sweets for some reason.
    Last edited by AverageJoe; 04-26-2011 at 10:32 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast