Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Lean" Meats page

"Lean" Meats

Primal Fuel
    Ok... this is driving me nuts... what are considered "lean" meats? Why are we eating them? I hear time and again that fat's not the enemy so... what's the deal here?

I've been buying grassfed ribeyes, but are we talking about different cuts like strips and sirloin or does this apply more to ground beef?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    The general rule of thumb is:

If you’re eating grass fed, you should have the fat

If you’re eating conventional, you may want to go lean, or leaner.

I fall in the second category, so if I’m eating conventionally raised ribeye, I most likely will navigate around the fat … but won’t obsess about trimming it off I just won’t eat up all the fat.

That, is an acceptable answer, much appreciated.

mwok86 is offline Senior Member
    The rib eye steak seems to be higher in fat. I think NY strip steak (balanced) and sirloin steak (very lean) are the best choices.

profdjj is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    The general rule of thumb is:

If you’re eating grass fed, you should have the fat

If you’re eating conventional, you may want to go lean, or leaner.

I fall in the second category, so if I’m eating conventionally raised ribeye, I most likely will navigate around the fat … but won’t obsess about trimming it off I just won’t eat up all the fat.
    Yep - this.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
    Ok... this is driving me nuts... what are considered "lean" meats? Why are we eating them? I hear time and again that fat's not the enemy so... what's the deal here?
    Not everything is what it seems. There's separable fat, and then there's fat you can't see. Liver has next to no separable fat but that doesn't mean it's low in fat.

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Lamb, variety meats and by-products, liver, cooked, braised

As you see, lamb's liver is 46% fat in terms of calories.

Low fat is utter ball*cks. You need fat for a number of important biological functions:

The Skinny on Fats

Note particularly the section entitled "The Benefits of Saturated Fats":

Saturated fatty acids constitute at least 50% of the cell membranes. They are what gives our cells necessary stiffness and integrity.
    They play a vital role in the health of our bones. For calcium to be effectively incorporated into the skeletal structure, at least 50% of the dietary fats should be saturated.38
    They lower Lp(a), a substance in the blood that indicates proneness to heart disease.39 They protect the liver from alcohol and other toxins, such as Tylenol.40
    They enhance the immune system.41
    They are needed for the proper utilization of essential fatty acids.
    Elongated omega-3 fatty acids are better retained in the tissues when the diet is rich in saturated fats. 42
    Saturated 18-carbon stearic acid and 16-carbon palmitic acid are the preferred foods for the heart, which is why the fat around the heart muscle is highly saturated.43 The heart draws on this reserve of fat in times of stress.
    Short- and medium-chain saturated fatty acids have important antimicrobial properties. They protect us against harmful microorganisms in the digestive tract.
    You don't need to go mad on fats but if there's not some down the side of your meat perhaps add a knob of butter to your vegetables or put a spoonful of olive oil on your salad.

This has all been very helpful to me, thank you all!

js290 is offline Senior Member

Edje Noh is offline Senior Member
    I always get grass-fed, free-range meats, however, I don't always go for things like steak, as it is more expensive than the other options (like minced beef, hamburger, tartar, pork chop, kramensky (dutch slavink) etc.). I would think meat like steak and entrecote are more lean and less fat. Is it important get these lean meats aswell, or will I get enough quality protein from fish, meats and eggs?

Edje Noh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Bump.
    Any answers?
    I'd really like some info on this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast