Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappoinment page

calluses is offline Junior Member

Disappoinment

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. Female, 55 years, 5’ 9”, 211 lbs. sedentary lifestyle (long necessary hours at a computer-staring, paper-shuffling job).

I have read “The Primal Blueprint” and “Why We Get Fat”, as well as a good number of related articles and blogs. I eat vegetables, meat and eggs, with a bit of cheese and/or nuts between meals. I use extra virgin olive oil and have added some coconut oil. I haven’t had any grains or sugar whatsoever. I’ve used recipes from this website and other sites referenced here.

I’m guess-timating that my caloric intake is between 1800-1900 calories. I estimate that my daily intake is about 40% protein, 40% fat and 15-20% carbs. Those are estimates, gleaned from my past experience of tracking what I eat.

I didn’t register until today when I felt I had to share my profound disappointment in this concept.

This is the start of the third week of my dietary change. I weight no less than I did three weeks ago; my measurements are the same; nothing has changed. The only positive characteristic that has come out of this exercise is that I haven’t *gained* any weight.

I’m thinking I might start tracking my intake on Fitday or SparkPeople, but that thought is part of the disappointment --- I thought one of the great features of this way of eating was that one didn’t have to track every bite. As a matter of fact, I can’t count the number of postings I’ve seen here where people specifically write that the weight simply “falls off” without any calorie-counting or food-tracking.

Here is yesterday’s menu:

Eggs and bacon
    Handful of nuts
    About 1 to 2 oz cheddar
    Chicken thighs
    Zucchini stuffed with ground chicken and chopped veggies

Today, I’ve two eggs, a plateful of leftover stuffed zucchini and one apple, cut into slices and dipped in two tablespoons of cashew butter. The apple was a treat. I'm feeling a little hungry as I type this, but don't know what to eat.

I’ve seen some of the other posters being told to raise their fat intake, which is what prompted me to add coconut oil to my diet. I’ve seen people being advised to fast intermittently, but heck, if I wanted to track what I eat and go hungry, I could just go back to Weight Watchers.

Just wondered if anyone else has had a similar lack of results.

Springbean is offline Member
    Fruit, nuts and dairy...cut them out and then see what happens.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Hi Callusses and welcome.

I didn't have issues losing weight, but I normally lose fairly easily. Some people here who have difficulty losing under CW take a little longer to get jumpstarted here. I did check my calories on a site, just to see if I was in a caloric deficit. I don't check every day, but I take an average day and plug that in. It may give you some clues that can help. That is not to say you need to religiously plug your food in every day - just taking a look at an average day might help. I find I am notoriously bad at estimating actual calories/carbs/nutrients.

Some people have issues with dairy, and cut it out and see results.

If yesterday's meal was typical, it looks like the sort of thing that can give results in the long run.

If you are under stress, it can stall weight loss, or if you have started a workout program and have sore muscles it can lead to water weight.

If you have underlying health issues, this can add into the mix too. One of the things I did near the beginning is make sure that I was getting adequate nutrients, and supplementing where I was low. Part of it is to get your endocrine system back working as optimally as it can - this really facilitates the weight loss.

I hope you find the answers you need.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    you mentioned you were only 3 wks in to the Primal WOE... my experience was I gained weight in the first month, then slowly began loosing by end of month 3 I had lost 2 pant sizes (14 down to a 10) but it took my body a while to adjust. Some people don't drop weight immediately. This is because sometimes the body puts priority on healing first, and weightloss second. One thing you NEED to do is ditch the sale, or put it away out of sight out of mind. take your measurements, and measure 1x/month - Go by how you feel do you have more energy? are your getting better sleep? are you eating when hungry?

I do agree nuts can be a big hinderance - I used them as snacks until I got used to eating primaly not they are a once in a blue moon thing... maybe a couple times/week. Definatly track a week on fitday - to get an idea what you're eat %wise. then eat when hungry and stop when full.

What are you doing for LHT? What are you doing for long slow movements - diet is a portion of how to achieve success you need to get in the LHT/move slowly/ & Spring 1x/week.

thyme is offline Member
    longtime lurker, early poster as well...
    One of the most helpful threads to me was Paleobird's Reality Check: Counting Calories, the sheer size of which told me I wasn't the only one who had trouble losing weight on a non-counted paleo diet. The thread is now enormous, but a number of women there found it immensely helpful to track calories, increase protein, and decrease fat. Every body is different, obviously, but give that thread a read and see if you find some useful ideas. Paleobird started the thread at the end of February, which means folks on it have now had enough experience with it to see some substantial results.
    good luck!

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Where are the vegetables?

Exercise?

Both nuts and dairy are inflammatory. I've had two healthcare workers tell me now that an inflamed body is going to have a difficult time dropping any weight. (And that was certainly the case with me.)

What about water intake? A chronically dehydrated body (as mine used to be) is going to hang onto everything possible.

Are you drinking anything else, such as diet Coke?
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    P.S. Totally agree about ditching that devil scale.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Phoenixflame is offline Senior Member
    If it were me, I'd calculate your calories for maintenance, then calculate your calories for a typical day's eats. You -don't- have to count calories for the rest of your Primal experience...but if right now you're eating 2500 calories, you're not going to lose weight. Play around with inputs a little, just to see what a day in a deficit would look like for you, foodwise, and try to stick to roughly that amount. As you become more acclimated to everything, your body should start telling you when it's hungry and full...but I know I personally have a broken full/hungry switch, so I need to use my eyes. Over time, you might find yourself hungrier one day and less so the next, but I do think it's good at first to use your head. Just my opinion though!

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    So maybe work on health. It seems like you have just got it in your head that as long as it's low carb it''s all good. That couldn't be further from the truth. Read until your eyes bleed.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by thyme View Post
    longtime lurker, early poster as well...
    One of the most helpful threads to me was Paleobird's Reality Check: Counting Calories, the sheer size of which told me I wasn't the only one who had trouble losing weight on a non-counted paleo diet. The thread is now enormous, but a number of women there found it immensely helpful to track calories, increase protein, and decrease fat. Every body is different, obviously, but give that thread a read and see if you find some useful ideas. Paleobird started the thread at the end of February, which means folks on it have now had enough experience with it to see some substantial results.
    good luck!
    I'm glad it has been useful to others. If there are any questions I could help with, please let me know.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast