Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yoga heads - DVD recommendation page

iniQuity is offline Senior Member

Yoga heads - DVD recommendation

Primal Fuel
    I’m looking for hardcore yoga MFers to chime on in this. At least 6+ months as a student required before you let those fingers fly.

I want to get a yoga DVD for my gf and I to do. I have only done one (shitty) yoga class at a (shitty) Gold’s Gym. I didn’t love it. I found out I can’t touch my toes or do any kind of stretch that any of the women there could do. I wish there had been another guy there to compare but alas I was alone with estrogen.

I don’t know what to look for, or exactly what I’m expecting. I’m sure hardcore yoga fans are tired of hearing about how yoga is “good for stretching” but I gotta say that’s how I’m looking at it right now. However I’d really love one that also emphasizes strength poses. One that touches upon handstands or balance work in general is also a plus.

We’d probably only be able to do the dvd once a week due to scheduling, but more sessions if possible/recommended.

None of that hot yoga stuff, no access nor desire to do yoga in a super hot room.

Looking for a beginner program that tries to take you to intermediate, so willing to buy a set.

I’m looking for a non-flashy or glossy approach, I’d much rather an “earthy” or “zen” like style. From a respectable source that knows their shit. Price range upwards of $50 …

Thanks!

Also, is there a source to find good yoga studios in one’s area? Since I don’t know what “good” means I’d rather have someone tell me. I know sometimes you have to experiment with different gyms to find one that suits you, but yoga is totally new to us so we would probably be likely to stay at one where people the atmosphere was good not knowing whether we’re learning quality stuff or not …

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    I will give you 2 very different videos and I like them both for certain aspects.

1. Yoga Shakti by Shiva Rae

It's 4 different workouts giving you beginner to master level... very earthy, good music, good instruction. The best part is the ability to set up your own workout by picking different sections from a grid. It's awesome.

2. Fountain of Youth Yoga by Tony Horton (the P90X guy)

More designed for a man. No fluff, quick 45 min basic but quick yoga video. (basic doesn't mean easy)

tejast is offline Junior Member
    My vote: Rodney Yee's Intermediate Yoga. It's 65 minutes and introduces you to some inverted poses.

He's also got an Advanced Yoga DVD. It's 125 minutes.

They will burn you out if you try to do them everyday. I like to do these once a week and then mix in some shorter restorative practices the other days before bed.

My vote for the restorative practice: Rodney Yee's Power Yoga: Strength and Flexibility DVD that is two programs (each about 20 minutes). These are perfect for recovery days or what to use to build up to his Intermediate and Advanced programs.

So . . . get those three DVDs and you'll be set for years.
    Last edited by tejast; 04-18-2011 at 12:01 PM.

denbro01 is offline Senior Member
    Yogajournal.com has great videos and is a wealth of information. And it's free!! Enough there to keep you going without getting bored or breaking the bank!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i second rodney yee. i was going through his 'yoga for life' or something set a while back (admittedly, i'm no yoga expert, but i think my experience applies) and i would be sore for a solid 5 days...and that was a beginner program if i'm not mistaken.
    anyway, he's great, explains things well, and has lots and lots of options.

Sassy is offline Senior Member
    If you're into the zen and good vibes kind of stuff, Eoin Finn is fabulous. He's got a few different DVD packages out now. I have his Yoga for Happiness and it's great - it's got four or six different yoga practices on two discs of all different lengths so you can pick one to fit the time frame you have.

http://www.blissology.com/cart/index...review=default

I'm also a big fan of Bryan Kest, but he's a little out there. Worth looking into, though, if that's your thing. One of his older releases is a 3-video set that starts out fairly beginnerish and progresses in level with each one. You can get a DVD with all three on it now, that's pretty reasonable, if I remember correctly.

http://www.amazon.com/Bryan-Kest-Pow.../dp/B0001WTWYC
    Last edited by Sassy; 04-18-2011 at 01:46 PM.
    Sassy: Revised - my primal log

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    I agree--Shiva Rea is my idol, and I like her Daily Energy Vinyasa Flow DVD. It's the only yoga DVD I have. As for finding classes nearby--if you're looking for an actual studio as opposed to yoga at a gym (which is what I'd recommend, studios generally have better quality classes) then just google it and look at the specials the studios offer. Most of them will have deals like 2 weeks unlimited for $20 or something along those lines. It also depends exactly what it is you want out of your class, since there are so many types of yoga...and more and more men are doing yoga these days, so hopefully you can find some bros to practice with! My studio has a lot of men.

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Oh and Bryan Kest is AMAZiNG, drops the F-bomb all the time, totally sweet. Lol

I have the Ashtanga first series dvd with David Swenson. Absolutely no frills, just him going through the series. I think it is good for both beginners and more advanced. I find most videos annoy me after watching them a few times, but this one does not.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions I'll start looking into them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast