Thread: Ketchup Love page

junebu8 is offline Senior Member

Ketchup Love

Shop Now
    I've been making my own ketchup for a year or so, and after several batches I think I've finally hit on a method that makes it just right for me. In the beginning I was using canned tomato sauce, spices, vinegar and splenda, and cooking the mixture slowly for a few hours to thicken it and develop the flavors. But I didn't like eating all that splenda (hey, I really like ketchup), and I hated being tied to the kitchen while it cooked. Also, the texture was just a little off.

These days I'm making lacto fermented ketchup, which is faster, easier, tastes better and is splenda-free. I started by checking out this recipe:
    Once Upon a Plate: Homemade Ketchup (Lacto-Fermented)

But I made adjustments for my tastes, and I left out the honey/maple syrup and added some stevia drops. I don't use a standard recipe, I just taste as I go, but my ketchup starts with 1 large can of tomato sauce, 1 small can of tomato paste. To that I add about 8 drops of liquid stevia, some apple cider vinegar, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, cloves, cinnamon, ginger, and cayenne pepper. Then I add some culture, either whey drained off of natural yogurt, or a packet of powdered kefir starter. Both work just about the same. Then I cover loosely and leave it on the counter for 2 days. The fermentation thickens the ketchup nicely and develops the flavor. It keeps well in the fridge and my kids really like it too. I use it as a base for bbq sauce, sweet and sour sauce, cocktail sauce, and I use it in thousand island salad dressing and a KILLER french dressing (I add more vinegar and stevia, fresh grated onion, and avocado oil).

If you're a newbie at home-fermentation, this is a nice easy recipe to start with.

randallfloyd is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by junebu8 View Post
    If you're a newbie at home-fermentation, this is a nice easy recipe to start with.
    As easy as pouring milk over some kefir grains?

I'm a home-fermentation newbie but this recipe does look good.. thanks for sharing!

Nettle is offline Senior Member
    Thanks so much for posting this.

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    This looks excellent! I'm a ketchup fiend but I find that the homemade version are always too tangy and more like spiced tomato paste than ketchup (damn that HCFS, it makes it taste so good!)

One question, by "whey drained off of natural yogurt", do you mean just the liquid that collects on top of a pot of yogurt as it sits in the fridge? What is natural yogurt exactly?

kitana is offline Senior Member
    Dang! Two of my favorite things - ketchup and science experiments! This looks excellent - I'm excited to try it!

junebu8 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    This looks excellent! I'm a ketchup fiend but I find that the homemade version are always too tangy and more like spiced tomato paste than ketchup (damn that HCFS, it makes it taste so good!)

One question, by "whey drained off of natural yogurt", do you mean just the liquid that collects on top of a pot of yogurt as it sits in the fridge? What is natural yogurt exactly?
    Yeah, just the liquid off the top of yogurt. By natural yogurt, I mean plain yogurt, that is traditionally fermented, and doesn't contain a bunch of weird stuff or sugar. It's best to use organic yogurt, because sometimes antibiotics in milk can have an adverse effect on the cultures and you want happy, healthy cultures.