Thread: Sprinting may no longer be an option. Need recommendations. page

BugMan is offline Member

Sprinting may no longer be an option. Need recommendations.

Shop Now
    Here is trhe deal. I am currently recovering from a Tibial Plateau Fracture. I have been off the leg for about 10 weeks now and am just now walking. Unfortunately the recommendation is to avoid impact to this joint. Running of any kind is something that is going to cause much more damage due to the friction on the top of my Tibia which is no longer smooth like a healthy tibia should be.

If anyone has had similiar damage and been able to continue sprinting with no adverse reactions, I would love to hear from you as well. I have been told in the past that I couldn't continue with normal exercise in the past by my first surgeon for a similar break to the same knee when I was 15 and totally ignored the advice playing football for the next 3 years, training in martial arts for the next 20 years, joining the military etc... So I am not 100% convinced that I will not ever be able to sprint, but the likely outcome will be total knee replacement in my future if I choose to ignore the advice.
    Primal Cyclist - No Brakes, No Gears, No Handlebars, One Wheel, No Problem

lorilr is offline Junior Member
    Sprinting isn't just running. Several years ago I was rehabbing from an injury and bummed I wasn't going to be able to compete in my town's big 10k. My friends and I usually do longer stuff but this 10k is one race we all do together. For 6-8 weeks before the race I could only jog 2-3 miles at a time but I worked out hard in a spin class. The gym was owned by my cycling coach so the workouts were intense.

I set a PR in the race and I attribute it all to the sprinting I did on the bike. You can sprint in the pool with water running. I once was on a rowing team and we did sprints. Lots of things you can do to get some hard intervals in.

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    Can you use an elliptical machine? It's really easy to do Tabata sprints on one, especially if you crank up the resistance. Perfect low-impact HIIT work-out!

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugMan View Post
    Here is trhe deal. I am currently recovering from a Tibial Plateau Fracture. I have been off the leg for about 10 weeks now and am just now walking. Unfortunately the recommendation is to avoid impact to this joint.
    Ultimate Exercise - Stasis vs. Dynamism

Stallion is offline Senior Member
    Get yourself a moderately heavy Kettle Bell (16kg is a good start for men) and learn how to swing it. Tabata style KB swings are one of the best "sprints" you will ever do.

BugMan is offline Member
    Thanks for the replies. I had subscribed to the thread thinking that when I got replies it would notify me by email. Must not have done something correctly.

I plan on doing some pool sprints as soon as the pool opens, and I suppose bike sprints or sprints on the spin cycle would work as well. I attempted the eliptical today for about 60 seconds and realized until I rebuild the quad it is not an option. I also got on the rowing machine for about 5 minutes at medium intensity and I can see that will be a real good workout. I really appreciate the input.

BugMan is offline Member
    Forgot to mention, I also have 2 16kg kettle bells and will give those a try as well. Should be interesting to see how my leg does with that. lol I have been doing wall squats occasionally throughout the day, and my right leg seems to want to do all the work, and I am not strong enough to do it with the left only. I figured that out with some serious feedback from the pain in my knee.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i was thinking biking or swimming.