Thread: Recipe for black pudding?

Recipe for black pudding?

Shop Now
    I love black pudding, but it always seems to contain barley. Maybe it would be possible to make it myself?

Absolutely, though whether you have easy access to the raw ingredients where you live is another matter—pigs' blood for a start. Apparently, most black puddings in the UK are made from dried blood not fresh blood and that usually imported:

Actually, VERY sad to say, virtually all the black pudding produced in the UK is made from reconstituted dried (powdered) blood imported - in the main from Holland. Our wonderful Food Standards Agency - who's [sc. whose] function in life is actually to restrict the activities of would-be mass poisoners, have failed to realistically interpret the (inevitably European) regulations concerning the collection of blood, and if they restrict supply to stuff coming from another 'member state' - immaterial of the quality - the don't have to [not sure what that means!]. But there we are; we probably aren't talking much more than 2,000 or so years of tradition after all....
    Black Pudding from www.cumberland-sausage.net

But, yes, it can be made at home and recipes do vary and not all have cereal filler—and those that do don't necessarily use a gluten-containing grain.

Many here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk//dp/1902304888/

Your local library may even have a copy of the book or be able to get it on inter-library loan.

Alternatively, you may be able to buy a barley-free black pudding direct from the maker:

Google: gluten free black pudding

Oops! I completely forgot to reply to this!

Thanks a lot for the information. Funnily enough I've actually made my first batch today ... Got hold of some dried blood and used a recipe from an old book. I used rice flour instead of bread crumbs and it worked out ok, but I'm sure I can make it better.
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Proud mother of twin girls!

Do you know an organic / free range farmer? If you buy meat from them, they tend to be very helpful over things like supplying fat to render down for lard etc. Also, the farmer I go to will get me bones, the liver of lambs, kidneys etc. I haven't asked for blood yet, but I see no reason why the abbatoir wouldn't collect some which the farmer could then deliver...?

Shop Now
    you may be able to buy a barley-free black pudding direct from the maker: