Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I might be doing this wrong... page

Alex Good is offline Senior Member

I might be doing this wrong...

Primal Fuel
    So I've been living this way for a while now, and I've made a few... restrictions to my diet that I'm not sure were the intended focus of the idea of this mindset.
    Long story short, with the exception of a few nuts and the occasional apple, I eat only meat. Eggs, fish, steak, bacon, as long as it is somehow related to animals I'll eat it.
    Are there vitamins only available from vegetables that I could be missing out on? I mean, I feel great on this diet (finally cured congenital constipation), I'm losing weight and just, well, feeling great!
    My mother got me worried about this today but I'm probably good, right?
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    I would do plenty of D3, a strong b-complex, and omega 3 fish oil.

If you are concerned about what you may be missing from veggies, read up on Phytonutrients and antioxidants and use your best judgement.

I cook with a lot of spices that are supposed to be antioxidants.. Turmeric, paprika, basil, curry..

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    You can't get vitamin K except in a supplement or green veggies. Veggies are very rich in vitamins and nutrients (and antioxidants). I know if I did an analysis of my diet without veggies, I would not be getting all the nutrients I need.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Bacon+Cabbage. You'll be fine.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    Long story short, with the exception of a few nuts and the occasional apple, I eat only meat.
    I'd like to hear the long story, please.

edit: If you're going to eat animas exclusively, you need to be eating brains, organs, marrow, cartilage, everything, of naturally raised animals.
    Last edited by Grumpycakes; 04-17-2011 at 06:40 PM.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    have you read cillacat's post about deficiencies resulting from eating only muscle meats (as opposed to muscle+offal)? lots of good info, i'll see if i can find a link.
    DFH- those are nutrients found primarily in animal products. with the exception of some of the b vitamins (as mentioned in cillacat's post, these are better sourced through offal), those are probably covered provided the meats are fattier.

alex good- in order to consider your diet "primal healthy" you should probably add berries, a variety of leafy greens (chard, kale, spinach, lettuces, maybe fresh herbs), and offal (keep in mind that heart is a muscle meat).

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    You will run into deficiencies in these if that's all you're eating and you're not supplementing.

Calcium
    Mangesium
    Potassium
    Copper
    Manganese
    Folate (if those eggs aren't omega 3 enriched or free range)
    Vitamin C
    Beta Carotene (yes we do benefit from it even if we get retinol)
    Vitamin E (if those eggs aren't good eggs)

You should probably try to do this whole nutrition thing well. It is a good idea.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Grumpy - My entire city is somewhat lacking in anything resembling a good tasting vegetable. The last good salad I had was months ago, so I stopped eating plants.
    Saoirse - I eat a few different parts of the animal, heart and marrow being my favourites. I'll eat the rest if it comes down to it.
    Stabby: Marrow for the calcium, blood (I'll ask my butcher) for the copper, I do eat a few nuts (magnesium) and my eggs are the good kind. So an orange/banana now and then and what the heck is manganese?
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

meepster is offline Senior Member
    Listen to your body - do veggies sound really really tasty? Would you like to eat some veggies right now? I find that when I don't eat enough plant foods, they start to seem really really appealing. Once, I was at work and fantasizing about eating three grapefruits in a row. I don't know if it's a vitamin C deficiency or if I'm low in something else, but my body does let me know when it wants plant foods.

And of course, you could do some sort of vitamin supplementation, but then you'll only be supplementing with the vitamins that nutritional science knows about - I don't think our knowledge is perfect.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    Grumpy - My entire city is somewhat lacking in anything resembling a good tasting vegetable. The last good salad I had was months ago, so I stopped eating plants.
    Saoirse - I eat a few different parts of the animal, heart and marrow being my favourites. I'll eat the rest if it comes down to it.
    Stabby: Marrow for the calcium, blood (I'll ask my butcher) for the copper, I do eat a few nuts (magnesium) and my eggs are the good kind. So an orange/banana now and then and what the heck is manganese?

Try using something like fitday. Simply because a type of nutrient is obtained doesn't mean one is sufficient or getting optimal amounts. I made that mistake long ago. Everything is better at much higher intakes of nutrients like magnesium and potassium that it would take a lot more fruit vegetables and nuts to to obtain . Manganese is an essential mineral, used in various antioxidant molecules.

Also I think it's a bad idea to get too much protein. Primal is high fat, moderate protein and low-moderate carb, there is such thing as too much protein and it impairs the thyroid.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast