Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbs post workout if I'm over 30% BF? page

vortex is offline Junior Member

Carbs post workout if I'm over 30% BF?

I strength train 4 times a week. I do Wendler's 5/3/1.

military press 155 pounds
    Bench Press 255 pounds
    Squats 300 pounds
    Deadlift 405 pounds

I also just started doing HIIT cardi0 2-4 times a week. I sprint 30 seconds and walk 30 seconds for 10 minutes.

1. Should I eat carbs post workout? My goal is to lose body fat since I'm over 30%.

2. Should I count calories? I've been eating carbs and counting calories and I eat about 3300 - 3600 calories with my above training and maintain the same weight give or take a few pounds.

I appreciate any advice.

jon tall tree is offline Senior Member
    you need carbs to refuel your muscle glycogen stores
    make sure they are coming from vegetables
    you dont have to go carb heavy

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vortex View Post
    1. Should I eat carbs post workout? My goal is to lose body fat since I'm over 30%.
    BBC iPlayer - Frontiers: Muscle Wastage

2. Should I count calories?
    Only if you don't believe the laws of science applies to you.

strom is offline Senior Member
    Why do you need to train that much? You can lose weight easier through diet. With a lower frequency like twice a week, you could probably get away with less calories too.

vortex is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the replies. So I've been eating around 75 grams of carbs usually in the form of quick oats. I assume sweet potato would be a better alternative so I can make that change.

Regarding why I train like this-- I do it because I actually like it. I really like the challenge and it feels great to lift heavy. I'll be honest though, I don't totally like squats. Hardest thing I've ever done is squats and it's intimidating when it gets heavy heh.

I've been thinking of training less. I am going on vacation in a month so that might be my transition point. Not totally sure though.

strom is offline Senior Member
    cardio isn't that much fun. but I would think it would be fun to try out if only HIIT works, or only strength training. And if your up to it, sprinting.

tommyho1 is offline Member
    to be losing body fat i would say you surely have to cut down the amount of calories that you are eating, regardless of what form they are coming in, but especially the carbs. if you work out and then keep replenishing your stores with extra carbs then your % will never lower.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    So I've been eating around 75 grams of carbs usually in the form of quick oats. I assume sweet potato would be a better alternative so I can make that change.
    You assume correctly. Quick oats = jelly beans.

Is 75g your total for the day, or just PWO? If losing bodyfat is your primary goal, I'd stick to about that amount for the whole day. Bear in mind that since fat loss is your goal, you may not need to use ANY starchy carb PWO.

Remember that leanness is mostly the product of diet, not exercise. If you really want to get lean, eat accordingly. It's possible your workout performance will suffer some, especially for the first few weeks, but keep your eye on the goal. You can't do everything at 100% (lose bodyfat and gain strength) all at the same time.
    Last edited by BarbeyGirl; 04-20-2011 at 10:46 AM.

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Swilling high GI carbs in conjunction with whey protein post workout is ridiculous, and based on some really bad science. To whit: it is postulated that your muscles, despite being depleted of glycogen and needing nutrients to effect repairs to damage incurred as a result of activity, will issue an ultimatum: feed me, feed me now, or in two hours, like the petulant child that I am, I will refuse to assimilate the nutrients that I so desperately need, irrespective of their availability.

This isn't how it works. An organism that had a metabolism incapable of assimilating nutrients due to their ingestion after an arbitrary time frame had elapsed would be quickly wiped out. Imagine prehistoric hunting parties being limited to a radius around camp that would permit them to return well within two hours ( after all, the meal must be prepared too and that takes time ) after having exerted and caught their meal.

I can just imagine the one member of the party with the cherished Breitling chronograph ( extremely rare in the paleolithic and therefore highly prized ) charged with ensuring that food and carbohydrate were ingested in a timely fashion, reigning in his fellow hunters while on the hunt - "Fellas, yo fellas, I'm talkin' to you. Do not take another step, this is beyond the effective boundary for today's hunt. Dreadfully sorry, but unless you can find food behind us, we do not eat today."

"Aw Thog, come on, why do you always have to be such a killjoy!"

"You know Grok, you've always been a trouble maker. That's why I get to be the holder of the sacred Breitling..."

Do yourself a favour. Stop with the carbohydrates, in whatever form they should happen to take. Sounds like you have abundant adipose tissue to sustain your activity levels.

-PK

Nick the Destroyer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I usually workout fasted and don't eat until a good hour after exercising. I've seen no issues with strength, mass gain, or fat loss, depending on what I'm trying to achieve. These post workout windows are usually what elite athletes who workout several times a day use. For the average Joe (or Grok), its not necessary, and is really pushed more by the supplement industry than anyone else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast