Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: frustrated about bloating - talk some sense into me! page

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member

frustrated about bloating - talk some sense into me!

Primal Fuel
    I've got to get out of my headspace this morning! I've actually lost 5kg over the last 8 weeks of primal eating, but instead of feeling great about that, I'm incredibly frustrated about my abdominal bloating. First, let me explain that bloating is a sensation as well as a look. I get a tight band across the top of my abdomen that is uncomfortable to touch, and pressure can sometimes be painful but not always. (In fact the pain aspect has greatly reduced in the last 8 weeks.) It makes me feel breathless. It's not associated with bowel motions or gas that I can tell. BMs are fairly minimal, but normal. I have a history of IBS, so I know this is a slow process

I've cut out a huge range of foods, and carefully manage how I eat other foods

no dairy
    no sugar
    no grains for at least 6 weeks
    no eggs for the last week
    berries and sometimes a banana are the only fruit, except for some apple sauce with pork chops
    no coconut products
    no nut products
    no coffee or tea (herbal teas only)
    started then stopped probiotic and Mark's damage control formula because of IBS flares
    veges (mostly carrots, kumara, cauli, and peas) are cooked well. I avoid most of the FODMAP veges

Cheats last week included 3 x 600ml coke zeros (none since last Thursday) and a small chocolate bar on Thursday.

Fasting is the only thing that doesn't result in bloating, but as soon as I eat, out goes the gut!

Is there anything that stands out (other than the cheats, which I've stopped from last week) that I could change?

I just needed to check in, I think, so also any reassurance that I'm on the right track and it'll all take time will be gratefully received
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    what you are not eating is useful info, but if you could log a bit of what you are eating, it might be easier to see if something looks like it might be an issue.

As well, the dairy in the chocolate could have done a number on you that would last for a while. My tummy takes a while to recover from a lactose hit.

Edit - sorry to hear about the bloating - very frustrating!
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

tamo42 is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure this will be comforting or not, but here goes...

When you drastically change your diet, your intestinal flora and fauna take a while adapt. Since you are coming from a state of extreme distress, it will probably take a while for your beneficial micros to adjust to the new fuel sources. The good thing is that by cutting grains you have eliminated the biggest source of damage.

It will take time, but your guts will adapt. You can try helping the process along by eating lacto-fermented foods like real sauerkraut, soy-free kimchi, or similar.

Think of it this way, the bloating can be interpreted as the death-throes of the bad bugs that make your life miserable.
    http://www.theprimalprepper.com - preparing for life's worst while living for the best

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tamo42 View Post
    I'm not sure this will be comforting or not, but here goes...

When you drastically change your diet, your intestinal flora and fauna take a while adapt. Since you are coming from a state of extreme distress, it will probably take a while for your beneficial micros to adjust to the new fuel sources. The good thing is that by cutting grains you have eliminated the biggest source of damage.

It will take time, but your guts will adapt. You can try helping the process along by eating lacto-fermented foods like real sauerkraut, soy-free kimchi, or similar.

Think of it this way, the bloating can be interpreted as the death-throes of the bad bugs that make your life miserable.
    +1 You could also try drinking kombucha.

tanyayogi is offline Senior Member
    Buenos Aires until I start at NYU in the fall!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    I've got to get out of my headspace this morning! I've actually lost 5kg over the last 8 weeks of primal eating, but instead of feeling great about that, I'm incredibly frustrated about my abdominal bloating. First, let me explain that bloating is a sensation as well as a look. I get a tight band across the top of my abdomen that is uncomfortable to touch, and pressure can sometimes be painful but not always. (In fact the pain aspect has greatly reduced in the last 8 weeks.) It makes me feel breathless. It's not associated with bowel motions or gas that I can tell. BMs are fairly minimal, but normal. I have a history of IBS, so I know this is a slow process

I've cut out a huge range of foods, and carefully manage how I eat other foods

no dairy
    no sugar
    no grains for at least 6 weeks
    no eggs for the last week
    berries and sometimes a banana are the only fruit, except for some apple sauce with pork chops
    no coconut products
    no nut products
    no coffee or tea (herbal teas only)
    started then stopped probiotic and Mark's damage control formula because of IBS flares
    veges (mostly carrots, kumara, cauli, and peas) are cooked well. I avoid most of the FODMAP veges

Cheats last week included 3 x 600ml coke zeros (none since last Thursday) and a small chocolate bar on Thursday.

Fasting is the only thing that doesn't result in bloating, but as soon as I eat, out goes the gut!

Is there anything that stands out (other than the cheats, which I've stopped from last week) that I could change?

I just needed to check in, I think, so also any reassurance that I'm on the right track and it'll all take time will be gratefully received
    I'm not sure why it's happening but I bloat easily too and I find drinking tea always helps, so maybe try that? Or going for a brisk walk?
    Also let me just say WOW I'm really impressed by your discipline! AND BRAVO ON LOSING 5kg in 8 weeks that's INSANE!!!

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Thanks all - I got caught up in meetings so wasn't here to reply!

Eating is basically meat and veges, with butter. Saturday I fasted, then had bone and beef stew. Leftover stew for breakfast Sunday, chicken and a banana for dinner Sunday. no snacks. Today I've had 3 primal sausages (just pulverised meat, salt and some spices in a casing) for breakfast, and the same for lunch. I woke up fine, then was uncomfortable by about 9.30.

I do suspect that I just have to wait this out. I'm really stoked about the reduction in pain, and also the weight loss - I didn't expect it to happen so quickly.

Tanya - not so much 'discipline' as desperation!! I sooo want to get well and not have my life defined by my belly!
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Oh! The banana may be the culprit--do you eat fruit regularly? I can't or I get waaaay bloated.

Read this: Evolutionary Psychiatry: Dietary Strategies for Fructose Malabsorption

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I think I have heard from someone on this forum that fructose malabsorbtion can cause bloating.

Fructose malabsorption - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I had bowel issues for so many years - I feel your pain. For me it was caused by oats. Obviously not the problem for you since you are primal. Hope you figure it out soon. Congrats on your progress so far

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    I used to have the same symptoms when I was eating gluten. The sore, tight feeling can be very unpleasant and so was waddling like I was 7mo pregnant carrying my stomach before me lol.

Coke contains gluten, so my celiac friend tells me (she is super sensitive with an immediate reaction so she's like a canary in a mine!), so that could be a factor too.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast