Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panicky over cholesterol... page

StartingOver is offline Junior Member

Panicky over cholesterol...

Primal Fuel
    I have been eating mostly Primal for 28 days now. 10 lbs of fat gone, yay! Yesterday morning I got my blood tested and got these results:
    Glucose: a fantastic 83 (was 117 pre-Primal, which is prediabetic)
    Total cholesterol: 282 (up from 244 pre-Primal)
    HDL: 49 (down from 64, not good!!)
    Triglycerides: 126 (down from 155, yay!)
    LDL: 207 (UP from 155:0)

I knew I was eating way too many eggs since going Primal, 3 on most days. Butter on veggies. NO grains, NO sugar other than what's in fruit and veggies. Ate green beans (legumes) a couple of times. While it's true I don't know any details of what types of LDL are present (very low density or otherwise), this just shocked me. I was NOT expecting my LDL to go up and HDL to go down. Will cutting way back on the eggs and butter help or am I freaking out for no good reason? I know Mark says in PB that cholesterol is not the danger for heart disease, the real danger is glucose/insulin which eating Primally has evidently brought about a huge improvement in. But I'm still freaked out by the other numbers. Can anyone help me out making sense of it?

captaineight is offline Senior Member
    Maybe CW isn't a complete load of baloney? Stop eating so much butter and eggs!

I got a complete blood-test done as a check-up after finishing my last CW calorie-counting diet (everything was excellent). It's going to be interesting to compare after 10 weeks on paleo.

Congratulations on your success so far both losing weight and getting your blood sugars down.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread4723.html
    Check this thread. It explains cholesterol in a fair amount of detail.

Obvious question, but did you fast properly before your test?
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Quiet, you! Nah, joking, but listen up.

Griff's thread is accurate and correct regarding the risk for atherosclerosis. You do seem to be at some risk judging by your numbers, but that isn't a reason to eat less fat. I'll try to explain.

Cholesterol is used for repairs to the body in the structure of cells and is most easily synthesized out of dietary saturated fat. If your body is damaged and you need more cholesterol to repair that damage, and giving your body what it needs. This is a good thing. Most people don't get enough saturated fat and get too much polyunsaturated fat (omega 6 from seed oils and such) and that actually robs the body of cholesterol. Over time we get a deficit of cholesterol and it is a serious problem, because we need cholesterol to be healthy. You are finally giving your body optimal amounts of fat and thus your cholesterol has gone up, it is a good thing, don't eat less fat.

Your task now is reducing damage to the body as best as you can. Get good nutrition. Magnesium and copper deficiencies create the need for cholesterol and they tend to be deficient if you're not supplementing or seeking out special sources. Reduce inflammation, support gut health, exercise, sleep, etc. All of this will create the kind of environment in the body where less cholesterol is needed in the first place.

Once your body has a cholesterol sufficiency and there is little damage being done to it, your LDL will go down. The last thing you want to do is cause a deficiency to make a doctor happy. Mother nature isn't stupid. She doesn't make cholesterol unless she needs cholesterol. CW is stupid.
    Last edited by Stabby; 04-17-2011 at 04:37 PM.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

jspradley is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    Quiet, you! Nah, joking, but listen up.

Griff's thread is accurate and correct regarding the risk for atherosclerosis. You do seem to be at some risk judging by your numbers, but that isn't a reason to eat less fat. I'll try to explain.

Cholesterol is used for repairs to the body in the structure of cells and is most easily synthesized out of dietary saturated fat. If your body is damaged and you need more cholesterol to repair that damage, and giving your body what it needs. This is a good thing. Most people don't get enough saturated fat and get too much polyunsaturated fat (omega 6 from seed oils and such) and that actually robs the body of cholesterol. Over time we get a deficit of cholesterol and it is a serious problem, because we need cholesterol to be healthy. You are finally giving your body optimal amounts of fat and thus your cholesterol has gone up, it is a good thing, don't eat less fat.

Your task now is reducing damage to the body as best as you can. Get good nutrition. Magnesium and copper deficiencies create the need for cholesterol and they tend to be deficient if you're not supplementing or seeking out special sources. Reduce inflammation, support gut health, exercise, sleep, etc. All of this will create the kind of environment in the body where less cholesterol is needed in the first place.

Once your body has a cholesterol sufficiency and there is little damage being done to it, your LDL will go down. The last thing you want to do is cause a deficiency to make a doctor happy. Mother nature isn't stupid. She doesn't make cholesterol unless she needs cholesterol. CW is stupid.
    What would you recommend as a good source of copper and magnesium and is there a blood test to check for deficiency?

I am really curious about why some people's total cholesterol goes up on primal and some goes down... interesting stuff.

Yes, I did fast for more than 12 hours. I'll relax about the numbers and continue my Primal quest!! I hope to take Primal Nutrition Inc supplements one day, not in my budget at the moment. Thanks for the suggestions!

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    When was the first blood test?
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Panicky over cholesterol...

First bloodtest was on Mar 19 and I started PB on Mar 21.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Wasn't there a thread somewhere here or elsewhere about people's cholesterol going up in the short-term and down in the longer-term on paleo / WPF type of diets? Maybe it was Christ Masterjohn talking about healing fatty liver? I'm going in for my first post-pb checkup and am very interested to see the findings.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The short term/long term info is encouraging! I'm hanging in there. The food is great and I've never craved my (formerly beloved) simple carbs from day 1. That's huge for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast