Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fasting + Weight Training... Safety? page

PrimalRFG is offline Member

Fasting + Weight Training... Safety?

Shop Now
    Yesterday, I finished up a cheat meal at 4pm (TONS of whipped cream + berries) and wasn't hungry the rest of the day. Today, I woke up after about 17-18 hrs of fasting and had a protein shake, a cup of coffee and some almond butter over the course of 3 hours. Then I went to the gym to weight train, involving heavy squats, presses, pull-ups, dips.

I had a great workout, but felt jittery and light headed throughout. While I didn't wind up lifting on a true fast, does anyone here question the safety of lifting during fasting? I know some people like the impact of fasting HGH + weight lifting HGH, but I'm wondering if in the future, I should avoid this kind of training.

On a related note, after working out I ate sauerkraut and a 5 egg omelet and am still feeling a little "off."

Thanks for any thoughts!

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    It's something I do from time to time and it hasn't killed me.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    i do it all the time and never have jitters/blood sugar issues
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    It's something I do from time to time and it hasn't killed me.
    Haha. I love this. I forgot to add that my both my resting HR and HR immediately after completing a set were elevated. Ah well..

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Completely fasted all-out sprints definately makes my head cloudy. Weight training doesn't have that effect, but I feel weak (psychologically also) if I haven't had anything. I believe having circulating amino acids is beneficial for growth aswell, so if I'm training in the morning ill have milk and whey before.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandadude View Post
    Completely fasted all-out sprints definately makes my head cloudy. Weight training doesn't have that effect, but I feel weak (psychologically also) if I haven't had anything. I believe having circulating amino acids is beneficial for growth aswell, so if I'm training in the morning ill have milk and whey before.
    Thanks. I did feel weak before and after sets, and think I know what you mean by the psychologically also part. The ironic part was, on the lifts, I felt strong.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Are you used to fasting? Do you fast after days of clean eating, as well? Once you are adapted to fasting, the jitters should go away.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Nick the Destroyer is offline Senior Member
    I've done this plenty of times. With me it works better if I get my workout in the morning, then just suffer the rest of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    Are you used to fasting? Do you fast after days of clean eating, as well? Once you are adapted to fasting, the jitters should go away.
    I've been trying IF for about 3 weeks or so now. It has helped me lean out a bit. I have fasted after a day of clean eating, but I've reserved it mostly after cheat days. This is the second time I've lifted after fasting, but the first time it did not have the same weird effect.

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    I do it three times per week, its a small fast. I only break it with some coffee and a bit of cream. Then hit the TM for an hour (brisk walking, and maybe some sprints) and the weight room and core for about 75 min. I go from 7pm to about 12:30-1pm the next day. No issues here. In fact I perform better (lift heavier, have more stamina).
    SW: 235
    CW:220
    Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
    Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
    Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
    Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast