Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I need some help with my calculations... and some advice page 2

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by skookum View Post
    Space and weight being at a minimum, the only liquids I will allow myself to carry are 40 ounces of filtered and treated water. Everything must be dry. Fortunately, I am using a coconut milk powder that is produced by spraying real wholesome coconut milk into a hard vacuum. It instantly dries and turns into a powder. It is excellent for adding to my 20-oz mug of chai tea, 2 heaping tsp at a time, or as a base for curry sauce. It provides a lot of really healthful fat. This year I am also using powdered butter for another fat source.
    Creamed coconut isn't a liquid. It's a little block not much bigger than a deck of cards, and it's delicious!

spughy is offline Senior Member
    LOL! Not safe as in it's dangerous to be a berry in my presence. What I was trying to explain is that while I would go off trail to pick mushrooms, or greens, so that others hiking along the trail could also enjoy their presence, I would not be bothered to go off trail to pick berries. First come - first serve as far as berries go.
    Oh... ha ha I get it. Sorry. I have friends who won't eat wild berries because they think that bears might have peed on them. Seriously.

I still think the mercury-in-fish thing might be overreacting, but of course it's your call. I'm not familiar with that area specifically.

skookum is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by belinda View Post
    Creamed coconut isn't a liquid. It's a little block not much bigger than a deck of cards, and it's delicious!
    OIC. I'm completely unfamiliar with it. I'll have to go find some.

Quote Originally Posted by spughy View Post
    Oh... ha ha I get it. Sorry. I have friends who won't eat wild berries because they think that bears might have peed on them. Seriously.

I still think the mercury-in-fish thing might be overreacting, but of course it's your call. I'm not familiar with that area specifically.
    It probably is over-reacting, being as I'm not a pregnant woman.

Howdy to Vancouver Island, btw. I am in love with the Sooke Harbor (or is that Harbour?) area. It's been too many years since I've been there.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    There are a few different brands, but this is basically what you'd be looking for:

Creamed Coconut

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    I had just planned (after I finished losing all of this fat I already have) to pig out on the fresh berries that grow during hiking season to store some excess energy for my hikes.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

norak is offline Senior Member
    So what does it mean to 'bulk up'? Is it simply a matter of storing up body fat? I know how to do that CW-style, but I'm not willing to go back there.
    I think the "pros" typically eat anything they can put their hands on and don't really care if it's processed or not (i.e. chips, chocolate, fries, junk food in general, although it probably varies from person to person depending on their regular diet and how they usually eat), but I expect you can get the same result simply by eating more than you usually do. Extra calories will be stored as fat, regardless of whether they come from potato chips or a steak. If you do dairy, drinking plenty of full fat milk is a well-known method to "bulk up" (i.e. gain weight fast).

Your point is well taken tho, the more energy already on board, the less I have to carry in my pack. I'm just now certain how I could pull that off. Even if I could find a healthy way to put on the fat, I fear that cycling rapidly like that, many times a season, simply wouldn't be healthy.
    I have no idea how your weight or body composition is, but say if you were normally 8-10% body fat, I don't think "bulking up" to 12-15% would be any harm at all, especially not since you will be going down again during the trip. After all, this is the reason why our bodies are able to store fat, to get us through periods where food is scarce (i.e. winter times, etc.). From nature's point of view I guess it's more of a seasonal thing, so I'm not sure how it will affect your health to do it many times in one season though.

I am convinced I can meet my nutritional needs on the trail, I just need to gain some confidence that I've correctly assessed those nutritional needs.
    If you are able to, I also think that is the best approach. The "bulking up" technique I think is more relevant when going on long trips (say 6+ months in one stretch), so it depends on how long you will be hiking for each time I guess.

Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member
    Am I the only one who thinks bulking up is probably not the answer? I get the reasons why to do it, but if you're hiking 15+ miles over rough terrain every day, the extra pressure on your feet, ankles, knees isn't worth it. But then I tend toward UL BPing, ok I'll shut up now.

I don't think bulking up to be the answer. So far in life, all my hikes have been 'bulked up' - being obese. I'm not obese anymore, tho, and I've found the more weight I've lost, the more Lean Body Mass I've gained, the better the hike - less pain, more endurance, better spirit. I cannot imagine that purposefully getting fatter could continue that good trend.

I am hoping rather to increase my body's own natural capacity to work, and reduce the amount of work it needs to do. I'm into the UL thing as well, and take great pains to reduce pack weight by another ounce here or there, making everything I carry as efficient as possible. Why wouldn't I do the same for the body? More efficient mitochondria (Emily @ Evolutionary Psych did an excellent guest post a while back that really got me thinking) will allow me to better utilize my fuel. So I'll be working on a bit of strength training and conditioning, to increase that muscular capacity.

Really, tho, to get back to my original question, regardless of how poorly I couched it, I suspect that maybe the knowledge I seek just isn't out there. The "Pros"? I don't think they are/were primal, and regardless of how capable or tough or athletic they are/were, they're not starting from an position of obesity and bad health - I'm an apple to their orange. Anything goes simply isn't an option for me, even for a day, not anymore.

Norak, you're quite right. I simply need to eat more than normal to keep up with the calorie burn. So back to the question - am I calculating my base protein need correctly? I am going to assume I am.

To discuss the body in question: I actually just this morning (for the first time ever!) took out the cloth tape measure, measured myself, and entered data into a body fat calculator. For the first time in a very long time, I am no longer obese!!! I am down 10" in the waist, and more than 50# down on the scale. My LBM was calculated at 156, with 22% body fat, placing me just inside the 'healthy' range. I kinda wish now that I had some knowledge of what my numbers were like when I started, for comparison sake.

My meal plan then, will include roughly 156g/day, or less, depending on what my LBM has gotten down to at that point. Until I get down to that seemingly mythical 8-10%, I'll calorie-restrict as I have been. However, once I have hit my targets, I'll make certain to bring those extra calories.

PatrickF is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen AlcesAlces View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks bulking up is probably not the answer? I get the reasons why to do it, but if you're hiking 15+ miles over rough terrain every day, the extra pressure on your feet, ankles, knees isn't worth it.
    If you want 5000 kcal per day you need to carry them somehow. Bodyfat is a very efficient way of carrying them, what better alternative do you have in mind?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast