Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greek yogurt (homemade & full-fat) page

tanyayogi is offline Senior Member
    Buenos Aires until I start at NYU in the fall!

Greek yogurt (homemade & full-fat)

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm making some homemade Greek yogurt and was wondering
    (1) If anyone has any tips that they don't usually include in recipes?
    (2) How often do you eat it if you eat Greek yogurt at all?

Nettle is offline Senior Member
    I just found one tub of full fat greek yogurt in my towns grocery store. It was literally shoved behind all these other yogurts. I got home and tried some because I have never had that type before that I know of. All I know now is 'OMG' how many years have I wasted eating fat reduced yogurt because it's supposed to be better for me! It actually pissed me off a bit.

Anyways for tips. I have used yogurt in cooking sauces instead of milk. I've also been mixing some yogurt with coconut cream, some vanilla and some berries and chilling it for a yummy snack or dessert after dinner.

Robin is offline Member
    I eat it almost daily. Either Fage full fat or I make my own from raw milk. Either way, it's delicious.

YUM! Thank you all Robin, what do you eat it with?

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I have yogurt with berries, usually - it is my one "dessert treat" of the day, if I am hungry midafternoon or after dinner, which is maybe half the time. Making yogurt is super easy, and the only real work to it is at the beginning heating up the milk. I made 3 tubs at the same time a week or so ago, so I will only have to make it maybe once or twice a month.

Note, berries are the lowest carb fruit, so they will not tweak your sugar cravings so much - it is my go to fruit.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Quote Originally Posted by JKC View Post
    I have yogurt with berries, usually - it is my one "dessert treat" of the day, if I am hungry midafternoon or after dinner, which is maybe half the time. Making yogurt is super easy, and the only real work to it is at the beginning heating up the milk. I made 3 tubs at the same time a week or so ago, so I will only have to make it maybe once or twice a month.

Note, berries are the lowest carb fruit, so they will not tweak your sugar cravings so much - it is my go to fruit.
    Yep, same here! I have frozen mixed berries in the fridge right now and my yogurt is in the oven (wrapped in towels with only the light on). How long does yours take to make? How do you keep the temperature steady?

JKC
    I am lactose intolerant, so I "cook" it 24 hours to have all the lactose gone. I have heard that you can make yogurt in 5-6 hours.

My method is putting the yogurt in its tubs, and placing these in a big soup pot full of warm water, 110 degrees. This pot either sits on a heating pad (when I need to use the oven) or I keep it in the oven, and occassionally turn it on to the lowest temp available (170 deg.) for 2 or 3 minutes. I will touch the outside of the pot to make sure it is the right temp. As long as I give it a heat up before bed, this method hasn't failed me yet. I think the water bath helps regulate the temperature in the tubs.
    Karin

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by JKC View Post
    I am lactose intolerant, so I "cook" it 24 hours to have all the lactose gone. I have heard that you can make yogurt in 5-6 hours.

My method is putting the yogurt in its tubs, and placing these in a big soup pot full of warm water, 110 degrees. This pot either sits on a heating pad (when I need to use the oven) or I keep it in the oven, and occassionally turn it on to the lowest temp available (170 deg.) for 2 or 3 minutes. I will touch the outside of the pot to make sure it is the right temp. As long as I give it a heat up before bed, this method hasn't failed me yet. I think the water bath helps regulate the temperature in the tubs.
    Hmmm. I just wrapped it in 2 cloths and put the light on. Should I do the turn on oven thing? Mine starts at 140F. I've heard that it's best to keep it at a constant temperature though? Maybe it's too late

JKC
    Feel the outside of the container - it should feel warm - as long as you are able to keep it warm for the incubation time, you are fine - there are more than one way that works. I dunno if I would put on the oven with towels in there though. It works for my method because the water in the soup pot is an extra layer of insulation.
    Karin

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    I'm starting to think Greek yogurt needs its own section here, it comes up so often in so many different threads! I've posted the link before, but can't remember where. Anywho, it's the method I use and it makes some awesome yogurt.

YouTube - How to make Greek Yogurt

The longer it 'yogs' the more sour it will be. I've settled on 12 hrs. for the way I like it best, but I don't have intolerance issues so some remaining lactose is no biggie. Last batch I had a brain-fade and left it for almost 15 hrs. It was more tart than I wanted but still mighty damned good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast