Thread: Magnesium Citrate Chemical Reaction page

yodiewan is offline Senior Member

Magnesium Citrate Chemical Reaction

Primal Fuel
    It's been years since I've done any chemistry and I'm curious as to what reaction occurs when I mix my magnesium citrate (C6H6O7Mg) in water. Any of you guys know? I used to do net ionic equations all the time in high school, but I totally forgot how to do them. It forms some type of precipitate and I'm wondering if I should be trying to consume that part or just rinse it out. Thanks in advance.

faithy22 is offline Member
    Magnesium citrate is soluble in water. Are you taking a capsule and breaking it open? Chances are there are binders and other ingredients mixed in with the magnesium citrate that are not soluble in water and that's what you are assuming is a precipitate. Take a look at the ingredient list.

Thanks for the reply faithy. I have the powder which is pure magnesium citrate.

strom is offline Senior Member
    It sure does foam up. And I think that is why it has soda like taste to it. It might be base rather than an acid too.

Hmm. I still want to know what the precipitate is to know whether I need to try to ingest it. Anyone?

How much ppt is being formed? And are you using tap water (well or city)?

I'm just using tap water. It's a very small amount of precipitate. Less than 1/8 tsp. It is white, gritty, and clings to the sides of the glass.

The only thing that I can think of is other minerals in your tap water forming the ppt. Try using DI water and see if it still forms the ppt.

darwinismyhomeboy22 is offline Junior Member
    I'm experiencing the same reaction with pure magnesium citrate and DI water. Seems like a precipitate but I can't figure out how it could be. also wondering if the magnesium citrate reaches saturation. When you disolve the mag/cit, it's exothermic. Makes me wonder if the supersaturated magnesium citrate falls out after things cool down. Confused.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I asked NOW foods and this is the response I got:

Hello Ryan,

Contains Magnesium. Magensium citrate is poorly soluble in water so most likely would be additional citrate unless other mineral are present in the pot or water.
    I don't know how to interpret that. The grammar is poor enough (and the exaplnation lacking) that I don't really know what to make of it.