Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: A Primal Dietitian??? Martha T.'s Journal page 3

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm thinking a juice fast tomorrow might be a good cleanout.
    A juice fast? Heavy carb load! Just go back to clean, primal food. You will recover quickly.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianag View Post
    A juice fast? Heavy carb load! Just go back to clean, primal food. You will recover quickly.
    Nah! Nothing so heavy. I have a Champion juicer that I dust off every once in a while. I made juice yesterday with half a cuke, 2 ribs of celery, some fresh ginger, 1 beet, 1 large carrot, 1 small apple, a handful of spinach. It was delicious and served as breakfast with a few macadamia nuts. I was back to regular primal stuff at lunch - canned tuna, avocado, small banana, tea. And I was feeling noticeably less bloated in my upper abdomen by afternoon, too.

I'm not sure what you would call yesterday's activity - LHT or moving slowly - but I roto-tilled my entire garden with my little Mantis tiller (whole body clenched to control it for several hours, pulling and pushing it through the soil, pulling to start it - challenging with weak girlie arms), then raking and digging and planting one of the beds with all the early stuff - beets, carrots, potatos. Lots of squatting and time on my hands and knees. Overall, at least 6 hours out in the garden. By last night, I could hardly move. But what a great feeling of accomplishment!

I live in a house with three men. All slim and big eaters. Hubby, 21 y.o. working-in-a-quarry-for-the-summer son and 18 y.o. jock son. This way of eating would be so much easier for me if I didn't have to cook for and eat with them. Sometimes I feel like not bothering to eat, but that's not an option. We have lived our whole lives with meals eaten together, an important family time. But as a small-eating, trying-to-lose-weight woman, it's certainly an obstacle.

I love my life and I love my family - I don't want anything to change. Just saying it's tougher to make my own food decisions in this situation.

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marthat View Post
    I live in a house with three men. All slim and big eaters. Hubby, 21 y.o. working-in-a-quarry-for-the-summer son and 18 y.o. jock son. This way of eating would be so much easier for me if I didn't have to cook for and eat with them. Sometimes I feel like not bothering to eat, but that's not an option. We have lived our whole lives with meals eaten together, an important family time. But as a small-eating, trying-to-lose-weight woman, it's certainly an obstacle.

I love my life and I love my family - I don't want anything to change. Just saying it's tougher to make my own food decisions in this situation.
    i completely agree. i generally cook for my husband and two young kids, and there have been many times that i simply did not want to eat, but ended up eating anyway because i had cooked dinner for them.

Yesterday was white bread carb heavy - a trip to a nearby theatre town for a matinée performance, picnic lunch sandwiches with another couple (she made them), and supper in an authentic Italian restaurant for pizza and bread dipped in olive oil and balsamic. Today, I had no appetite for breakfast so had only coffee with coconut milk and a larabar at about 11. My avocado turned out to be a dud, so I had only a salad with canned tuna in olive oil - not very inspired or satisfying so I only ate about 2/3. Then an orange. I had some cheese and a few raisins when I got home, then raw veggies while I made a BBQ chicken and stirfry veg supper. I've just now had an ounce of 55% dark choc leftover from yesterday. All for under 1300 cals. And I feel better for a cleaner day of eating.

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    Hello Martha! I found your journal by searching for SLD. I just listened to a podcast with The Healthy Skeptic and Stephen G. and they mentioned SLD as a strategy. Stephen G. has been posting about Food Reward System on his blog. I am 5'3" and 150.6. I have been primal for nearly a year now and love the way of life. I lost 19 lbs initially, but have been stuck for months. I am back to my pre-pregnancy weight and pant size and so I have been reading about body fat set point. It feels like I'm in the grip of my set point. I am very intrigued with the SLD concept. I have only heard of it today, so I don't have the book. Do you think I need to read it or can I just try to incorporate say refined coconut oil? I think I read on your journal about a 2-4 hour flavorless window? Do you mind answering some questions? What are some strategies that you still do from the SLD?

I live in a house of boys too, but mine are my husband a 9, 5 and 1 year old. Still, I think it will be an interesting challenge to listen to my body, rather than eat because it is meal time and I cooked the meal.

Thanks for posting in your journal! And the pull-up is possible...you'll get there. To do a pull-up has been a long goal of mine and I thought I'd never get there.....but I have!! You're doing great! Keep going!
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

Hi, Momto3, glad you found the reference to SLD in my journal. It's been a very successful strategy for me to bring my weight under a "sticking point". Like any intervention, it works when you use it, and I can't blame my current lack of success on SLD, more on my lack of motivation to comply with it, the Primal guidelines and exercise.

Here is my thread on the SLD forums: Shovelqueen's SLD Adventure Don't let the fact that it's 134 pages long overwhelm you. The first dozen pages will probably contain most of my weight loss story. I would strongly suggest you read the book to understand the theory of the setpoint and flavourless calories and their impact. A short but very interesting read. It's a tool, like any other, and can be combined with any form of eating WOL.

Thanks for the support! How many pull-ups can you do? And how long did it take you?

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    It took just under a year. I am doing Simple Fit with PB Fitness to change thing up, but mostly Simple Fit. I can do one palm forward pull up, or two neutral grip with stopping in between just briefly. I haven't been able to do two in a row yet...it's getting close! I started by doing two leg assisted, one leg assisted then reverse pull ups.....it felt like forever, then one day...wow I could do it! Right now I am doing Level 1 in Simple Fit with a level 5 squat (my strength I guess). Thanks for the link to your SLD Adventure. I'll check it out.
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

Gloworm is offline Member
    I just wanted to give you help in getting that pull up. Hanging from the bar is great but try doing negatives. Get a stool or chair and jump yourself into the "up" position, then lower yourself as slowly as you can. At first, you'll just kind of plop down but as the muscle builds, you'll have control. Practice at least 5 of these each workout. You'll be surprised how fast you get one! Then, for a while, you'll only be able to do one...just keep working the negative. I love doing pull-ups more than any other exercise. Mostly cause I freak guys out when my little ole self can kick their asses at 'em. Keep rocking it!!!! (also, check out Al Kavadlo's website/blog...he gives great direction on getting from 0-difficult. With his instruction, I just perfected a handstand push-up)

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast