Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: A Primal Dietitian??? Martha T.'s Journal page 22

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Reposted from PPD thread:

Rebound!! After 2 days of only potatos, I had dropped 2.5 lbs and was down a total of 7 lbs in 5 days (started at a non-normal bloated high last Monday). So yesterday I went back to eating other foods, but smaller quantities than would have been normal for me. I had a sushi lunch with some cooked items like beef in sauces. I was stuffed after a moderate portion and ate nothing else for over 5 hours. Supper was out at friends' and turned out to be mussels in wine broth (I ate no bread with mine, used a spoon for the yummy sauce), but the next course was whole wheat pasta with a lemon butter sauce. I had about half a cup of pasta and lots of my home-made ceasar salad (no croutons, real bacon). A couple of German Christmas baking treats for dessert. All of it was pretty moderate. So this morning I weigh 154 lbs, up 4 lbs overnight! I guess there was quite a bit of water weight involved in the Potato diet weight loss after all...

Not that I'm complaining. I noticed my appetite to be significantly decreased yesterday, which may be a post potato effect. I have long been a follower of Seth Roberts and The Shangri La Diet, which is based on his theories of the taste-calorie connection and our responses to bland vs flavourful foods. I think the blandness of the potato diet might be a factor in it's success. I have not branched out much into sweet potatos or into seasonings yet. I will restart the diet tomorrow with the PPD gang here.

I'm looking ahead to the new year and getting serious about getting fit. I have a half marathon planned for May and am currently not running at all. I finally have my wrist pain free, after 3 months with a splint on, and a cortisone shot, but my right hand is as weak as a kitten from underuse, so I have some gradual strengthening to do to bring it up to exercising ability re weights. But I want to build me some muscle. I'm tempted to get myself a few personal trainer sessions with the local "crossfit"-style gym. It looks so cool in there, but very intimidating.

And hubby and I will be laying a whole upstairs worth of new bamboo hardwood flooring, so lots of low-level activity in the next few months. Plenty of squatting.

Foodwise, I plan to get back onto the potato hack at least 2 days per week, then keep the rest of the week at moderate carb Primal. Lay off the social drinking - too many wine opportunities at this time of year - and get back to my once weekly martini with hubby.

Right now I'm sitting at 152.5, too much for my fine-boned 5'6" frame. I'm aiming for a well-muscled 135 lbs (135 is still overfat on my fine frame, but I'm aiming for some muscle development in the next few months.

So, get through the next week - Christmas eve, Christmas day, visit at (celiac, but still starchy) foodie friends for 2 days, then New Years eve. Whew! If I can get through the next week without gaining weight, I will consider that a success.

End of Week 1 of the new year. I've been to the Y once for a sprint run around the track. (It's winter here - crappy outside running.) I am starting back into SLD oilshots today. Weight still at 152.5. Not yet at 80% primal after falling off the wagon pretty well in the past 4 months or so. I made an eating plan for today and I'm off, so no workplace surprises (like yesterday - chocolates, fancy Christmas biscuits, etc - don't they know Christmas is over??) Off to the Y again today.

52 new experiences report: Last week my new experience was a beer tasting at a local craft brewery. It was wonderful. Learned lots, met in-laws-to-be (they're nice). This week, I plan to go to the local high-performance gym and talk to the owner about personal trainer sessions.

17 weeks to the Half Marathon in Toronto.

I'm taking before pics today. Yuck!

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    You might try my pork chop line - when someone at work offers me baked goods, etc., I say, hopefully with just right touch of ironic humor in my voice, "Do you have any pork chops? I would rather have a pork chop." Although I don't always get a laugh, generally I am not offered cookies, candy, cake, or pie again.

Yeah, I have a weird sense of humor. Why do you ask?
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Great line! But no, I have no-one to blame but myself. The lunch table was covered in the last of the Christmas goodies (In long term
    care, we get swamped with gifts of treat foods at Christmas from appreciative families - this home was just doling the treats out to make them last.) I helped myself. A lot. (hangs head in shame...)

BTW, smoked pork chops from the local butcher, fried in butter, for supper tonight - YUM!

So, I did better than a run at the Y today. I ran outside, on the roads, in January, in central Ontario! It was an abnormally warm day at +4C, but with high winds 40-60km/hr. The warmth had melted the snow back from the edges of the road, so I had good footing for running. I did 2 miles, very slowly, 25:36, but I ran the whole thing, even with the wind in my face. It was hard. Only second run in months and first time outside. Felt great - very connected to nature, Grokette-like!

Went to my fave local running store and bought myself a new running watch to replace the one that broke a few months ago. Can't be sweating buckets in my fancy watch. That felt like a treat/reward for me.

I've stuck completely to my eating plan today. Three eggs with kale and ghee for B, with black coffee. Another black coffee at noon, as I was really hungry, but still out running around. Lunch was a can of salmon with onions and mayo, on three thin rice/corn puffy crackers (total 13 g carb), plus tea. Then CO shot at 4 and now I'll be cooking a smoked pork chop and green beans for supper. But right now, I'm totally not hungry, so it can wait until later.

Took my first SLD shot of coconut oil today. After years and years of using olive oil, this is a change. Hopefully it will do good things. I need to get myself back on track. I have big plans for this body in the next 6 months, culminating in a half marathon in May, and looking smashing in a little dress for my son's wedding at the end of June.

I took "Before" pics today before my run. YUCK!

Down this morning to 151.0, back to my lowest point on New Year's Eve. Now to bust through my "setpoint" range of 148-152 and get on with weight loss towards the 130's. I have an eating plan in place for the day, lunch is made. I have a meeting this morning that is normally laden with food, but I will be going in with my thermos of black coffee and the AS provided by yesterday's coconut oil, and a tummy full of eggs, ghee, kale and onion. 3 eggs, 2 tsp ghee, a leaf of kale and one thick slice of onion, chopped and sauteed. About 325 kcals, by my reckoning, and I feel like I've eaten Christmas Dinner!

I had forgotten how good it feels to have the appetite suppression of SLD.

After Day 2 of SLD and pretty well perfect Primal compliance, I'm down another 3/4 lb to 150.2. No hunger, small portions at all meals, no between meal snacking except about 10 macademia nuts for "dessert" after supper yesterday.

Primal eating and SLD are a perfect match. I'm loving this.

Well, a month later, I'm still riding 151-152 lbs. I've been running up until about 10 days ago when I got a wicked head cold, the first one to totally catch me in the past several years. I'm just now starting to feel like I'm 100% back, but the running got sidelined for almost 2 weeks.

But today is Feb 1, start of a new month. I'm committing to 4 weeks of real commitment to eating and exercising right, with a goal of getting my weight below 145 by the end of the month, getting my running up to a 5 mile long run, and adding in some bodyweight stuff. Our big renovation project that consumed the entire month of January is just now completing (new hardwood flooring, baseboards and some repainting through the entire upstairs of my house - 3 bedrooms, walk-in closet and hallway - all done by hubby and I).

My plan involves daily SLD oilshots, 90% compliance to Primal eating, 3 runs per week - 1 incorporating sprints, trying IF (meaning skipping B twice a week for a 18 hour fast), and adding planks and push-ups. I need to stop between meal snacking, especially in the afternoons. It's more habit than hunger. And I need to stop following the clock so slavishly for meals - I feel that I often eat when I'm not really hungry yet.

So today is Day 1. Starts with good coffee and a Primal breakfast of bacon and eggs. Then a run on the indoor track at the Y (it's -13C and windy with new snow everywhere, not a good outside day), grocery shopping to restock the veggie supply. I'll do some bodywork this afternoon.

Here goes!

lorichka6 is online now Senior Member
    Good luck getting back on the oil bandwagon - keep us updated.

Yeah on the floors! I'm sure it looks beautiful!

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast