Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: A Primal Dietitian??? Martha T.'s Journal page 2

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I can't believe that it's day 26 of my Whole 30 and this experiment is over in 4 days. Well, 5 days of eating if you include today. I'm almost sorry to see it end, thought the restriction on butter has been a pain. Butter, plus tiny bits of soy and/or sugar in my beloved Asian condiments are about the only additions that I can really see being added back in at this point. And butter is likely to be a once in a while thing. Cheese will no longer be a daily protein snack, but rather saved for only the very best (read expensive, flavourful, likely European-type) cheeses, and only as a treat food, like at a party. I can see coconut milk becoming a regular fixture in my diet, which is entirely new.

Not weighing daily has been liberating too. I'm thinking that I will weigh on May 1, then put the scale away again and only pull it out every 2 weeks or so. I have been using pants to determine my body changes. My old favourite black dress pants are a wee bit looser each Monday when I pull them on. I was not wearing them at all at the beginning of this challenge. I have "thigh room" now in pants that used to fit snugly over my thighs. That is a huge change, which I have to wonder is caused by the no dairy restriction of the Whole 30. Maybe those dairy hormones (I have never made any effort to buy organic dairy before, but our dairy in Canada is more highly regulated re drugs and hormones than the American stuff, I think) are partly responsible. I have gone out and bought organic butter this weekend, just in case that is the case. It's a ripoff price - $4.49 for a half lb vs $3.79 for a full lb of regular butter.

I ran my two mile loop last night in about 21 minutes without any significant knee pain. That is another big accomplishment of the Whole 30, maybe due to less inflammation? That knee/Achilles has been a problem for almost a year now.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Go Martha! 5 more days!

Day 27 of Whole 30 completed. The eating has become routine, so I'm concentrating on exercise for the next couple of weeks. Time frame is now until the long Victoria Day weekend ~22-25 May, or so. In the past 4 days, I have been out for a 2 mile (slow) run one evening, done my individualized workout (as set out above), and tonight, for the first time in forever, I went to the Y to use the machines. I did a Power of 10 type workout, working one set to failure of 5 major exercises. Sort of a Body by Science approach. I did leg press, shoulder press, chest press, rows and plank. Each to failure, which didn't take long or much weight this first time. Now my body feels well worked, kind of heavy but invigorated. I have a plan to do either a run or my little home workout on alternate days every day, and a trip to the Y for lift-to-failure weight lifting once per week. This is like a 3 week boot camp idea. The big reward at the end is feeling fit and fabulous for my Spa weekend with the girlfriends. And all on 10-20 minutes of exercise per day. I can't wait to see what I can accomplish with this commitment to exercise, especially after being successful at the commitment to Whole 30. I finish up and check my weight/measurements on Sunday.

Copied from the April Whole 30 challenge thread for my own records:

I weighed and measured this morning, Day 30, as I have a meal out this evening and didn't want fluid retention to skew the results. I have noticed a real difference in how my pants were feeling, so I was excited to step on the scale.

Shock!! I lost a grand total of....wait for it....3.5 lbs! WTF?? And my % BF on my Tanita scale is identical to April 1 - 33%. I went from 147.5 to 144.0 - big hairy deal!! BUT - I checked my measurements and that's where the big changes were. My upper body measurements were identical - arms, bust, under-bust. But my waist has lost 2", my hips are down 1/2", and the most exciting, each thigh is down 3/4". Even my calf is down 5/8".

I had perfect compliance with the restrictions on dairy, all grains, and legumes . I had near perfect compliance regarding sugar and soy (3 instances of a tiny bit of soy sauce). One glass of organic red wine. So why no more weight loss? Despite being within an optimal weight range, I obviously have lots of fat to lose (I'm 5'6", but very fine-boned). I ate one ounce of macademias most days, but sometimes it was my breakfast meal. I ate 3-5 pieces of fruit a week, small organic bananas, apple, kiwi, watermelon once. I go through a can of coconut milk every 3-4 days or so. Mainly in coffee.

I'm hypothesizing that the inches loss below the belt, in that hormonally-controlled, oh-so-hard-to-move area, may be due to the removal of dairy products. Maybe hormones in the dairy supply? Maybe inflammation?

So what else? My knee pain is gone, since about the end of the first week. And my Achilles tendon, sore for the last year(!!), is no longer sore. In fact I was aware of it actually "healing" one day - a very localized burning sensation, as though Dr Spock was using his gizmo to seal up an incision. Is that related to going dairy-free?? I have discovered a new love of coconut milk and expect to continue with that long-term. Maybe it was the addition of coconut products rather than the removal of dairy that had the above effects? Interesting to ponder.

So onwards from here.... I plan to continue with my diet pretty much as it has been this month, but without the total strictness around tiny bits of sugar and soy, and with only a bit of dairy added back. Really good cheeses for special treats, and a bit of butter, maybe heavy cream, though I can see coconut milk filling that niche in most instances. I like Farfalla's idea of aiming for 95/5. I plan to continue with my exercise regime as I've set it up in the last week and a half. My scale is buried back in my closet - I"m not going to play games with my mind while I do a more intensive exercise regime. I still hope to get my weight into the 130's and my %BF to 25% - those are longer range goals.

What an interesting month it has been! I'm so glad that I did this.

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Well done Martha. Good to hear that you found it beneficial.
    I have slipped a little from aiming to eat 100% primally lately, though not by much. Maybe doing a whole 30 would sort that out.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Oooh, a dietician. I thought that I wanted to be a dietician when I was in my final year of high-school. I job-shadowed one and everything but I ended up not going to university and instead did a lot of drugs, partied too hard and ate mostly junk food. I ruined my health for a little while there and needed a change. I eventually found a great way of eating and living thanks to diligent skepticism and research. If I hadn't have screwed up so badly I would have probably become a dietician. Thank you drugs and junk for saving me! Ha.

I'm glad you're making progress. I can't really say what might be holding you back but I know that conventional Canadian dairy is still pretty inflammatory, at least for me. Perhaps try getting a better source? Ideally it would be raw dairy from grass-fed cows but I have at least noticed a difference between conventional and plain organic so I wouldn't worry about the butter.

I could ramble on and on about different mechanisms of fat-accumulation and what to do about them, but instead I think I'll just refer you to The Perfect Health Diet, my favorite diet book these days. You'll find some great info in there and a myriad of things to try and you'll understand it too. It is similar to the Primal Blueprint diet, kind of, and they praise Seth Roberts for his ideas. There's the site Perfect Health Diet

I also recently ordered one called Mastering Leptin which is supposedly really good and explains the root of metabolic problems - the breakdown in leptin signaling due to inflammation and other things. Perfect Health Diet seems to cover most of the ways to improve leptin sensitivity although it doesn't really mention leptin.

Anyway, cheers. Always good to have more nutrition geeks around here. Never too many minds.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Thanks for the referral to The Perfect Health Diet, Stabby. It's really interesting on first glance and I will be giving it a much closer read. I love that it's all annotated. Great for the "evidence-based" arguments.

Are you Canadian, Stabby? If you are Ontario-based, you may have heard of Michael Schmidt and his ongoing battle with the provincial government to allow him to sell unpasteurized milk. Public health works very hard to protect us from ourselves, but also stifles any dissent from their way of thinking.

I'm not a big fan of liquid milk anyways, and I can find organic versions of anything else I want. But I'm loving the coconut products, so, other than a bit of treat cheese and my butter, I'm not likely to go back to much dairy anyways.

I had my first non-Whole 30 "meal tonight at a friend's birthday party. Pork Souvlaki (very primal), moussaka (delicious, moderately primal with potatos and bechamel sauce, Greek Salad (good primal, with feta cheese), and birthday cake (definitely not primal!!) All the other non-primal stuff I avoided, had only one glass of wine all night, then switched to soda water.

Boy was I feeling stuffed after the cake. A smallish piece, but still, first grains in well over a month. I'll notice it tomorrow. I actually can't wait to get eating "clean" again. Feels better.

Oh, and I ran 2 miles this morning. Very stiff headwind going south, made it really hard. And I did it on only coffee with coconut milk, no food - also never a good idea. but despite walking several chunks, I kept my time just around 20 mins, so I was going a good clip (for me, anyways).
    Last edited by marthat; 05-01-2011 at 07:06 PM. Reason: added more info

Good news is that my older son has returned from university for the summer last night. Bad news is that younger son and I lose our home gym (his bedroom). Moving all the weights and bits and parts down the basement won't be as convenient.

Personal challenge: In 2 weeks from Friday, I go to a spa weekend with girlfriends. My challenge is to do a workout of some kind every day from now until then. Either run 2 miles, do my home "sprint" workout, or do a Power-of-10 type weights to failure workout at the Y. Every day, no excuses. I will have tighter arms by the time I drive off to the spa! I'll report here daily.
    Last edited by marthat; 05-08-2011 at 01:59 PM.

UGGGHHH!! Totally non-primal weekend as houseguests at friends in the city. He is an ultrasensitive celiac, but she is a gourmet cook, and we are expected to eat everything put in front of us. I had baguette with garlic butter, lentil soup, lemon squares, bread, buns, carrot cake, all within 12 hours yesterday. I'm bloated and miserable today. Good lesson. I'm thinking a juice fast tomorrow might be a good cleanout.

Workout report: Wed May 4 - Power of 10 workout at the Y. May 5 - 1.5 hour Grok walk with girlfriend. May 6 - Contra dancing 1 hour. May 7 - nothing. Travel day to visit elderly friends. Today - will be doing something before I go to sleep to counteract the bloated feeling.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast