Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: A Primal Dietitian??? Martha T.'s Journal page 16

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    The book is called "Juice Fasting" by Dr. Paavo Airola. Even though it's out of print now (first published in 1971 and went through several reprints), it's still considered _the_ book on juice fasting. He's got a PhD in nutrition and is a naturopathic physician as well. I just read in the book last night that the come-down off of the juice is considered the most important part of the whole thing. Oops. I continue to live and learn. I'm definitely doing this again, sooner rather than later. Apparently, I quit just as things were really beginning to crank (in terms of healing old wounds.) Interesting to see the time frame he gives for what's happening in the body and when. The period that he lists for fat deposits breaking down in the body was exactly when my back fat disappeared overnight. I was right on track with it all and didn't even realize it.

Anyway, this is your blog, your time, so I don't want to be hogging it up. I will cross-post my observations in the "Fat, Sick..." thread.

BTW, there is a YouTube channel for "Fat, Sick..." where there is a LOT of footage that was not in the film. There's also a new welcome video to all American NetFlix viewers from Joe. Apparently things went crazy stateside after the movie was put up on NetFlix, and now there are all sorts of YouTube videos of people doing a reboot. Might be inspirational for your brother to check in and watch those anytime he's struggling, or maybe even put up his own videos for accountability's sake.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    Anyway, this is your blog, your time, so I don't want to be hogging it up. I will cross-post my observations in the "Fat, Sick..." thread.
    No problem, drop in anytime. It's nice to know that someone reads here besides me...

138.5 lbs this morning. Finally got things moving yesterday - I was feeling really uncomfortable. My crockpot potroast was really good, served with my first cob of fresh Ontario corn, buttered of course.

I ran 3 slow miles last night, 35:30. But without stopping. Fueled by the corn from supper. Then juice as a post-run drink.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Hehe... I'm glad to see you make an exception for fresh corn on the cob too! I've actually rationalized it thusly (is that a word?):

1. Racoons love corn on the cob and they're omnivores just like we are so why shouldn't we be eating it?
    2. At this time of year, the cobs are young and sweet enough that you could eat them raw if you wanted to.
    3. And you put butter on them. Lots of butter. What's wrong with that
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

To, me, fresh corn is on a par with sweet potatoes, a higher carb fresh veg. As long as taken in moderation, how can it be bad? I know that it's probably GMO and chemicalled to death, but it's a short season treat and I feel no guilt!

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Oh man, I love corn, but it does not love me.

I don't know about you, martha, but I definitely do feel like a big "reset" button has been pushed in my body. I have way more energy than I did prior to beginning the juice fast.

Good to see you're back down into the 130s again.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

138.0 lbs. Still creeping back down. Doing a full juice day today until supper. Made a huge batch this morning, then will have meat at supper. Hope to run again tonight.

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Hi Martha. Interesting progress with the juice fasting. I'm curious, are you using a juice extraction sort of juicer, or would there be any difference with using a regular high powered blender or vitamix, which keeps all the fibre and such in the juice?

Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    Hi Martha. Interesting progress with the juice fasting. I'm curious, are you using a juice extraction sort of juicer, or would there be any difference with using a regular high powered blender or vitamix, which keeps all the fibre and such in the juice?
    I have a Champion juicer that I bought several years ago. So extraction type. It makes a lovely juice. I've never tried a Vitamix, but I can only imagine how "pithy" the juice would be, based on what I throw into the compost after making my juice. I run all the pulp through twice to extract all the good stuff - it's quite dry by the time I throw it into the compost bucket.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ran a slow but surprisingly steady 5 miles this evening, in 59 minutes, just under a 12 minute mile. It was a back road and a swarm of at least a dozen deer flies accompanied me for fully half of my run. What pests! So I got lots of extra exercise swinging my arms around wildly as I ran! I must have looked hilarious, but luckily the road was quite deserted.

I have 6 1/2 weeks until my half marathon. Last year I ran it in 2:36 (actually ran 2 min, walked one min for most of it due to an injured achilles). Today's pace would put me at exactly 2:36 if I could maintain it for 13 miles. I haven't been training much at all, but now I plan to start increasing the long runs towards a max of 11 miles in early September. At least I can run now without Achilles or resultant knee pain, though I'm very slow. But my breathing and heart-rate are also very moderate, so it qualifies at Moving Slowly in my mind. I'd like to try a sprint run once a week to see what it does for my overall running speed and endurance. Maybe Saturday...

Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast