Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: A Primal Dietitian??? Martha T.'s Journal page 15

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I just did a slow run this evening. Plan was 2 miles, but it felt so good that I ended up doing 2.8 miles. It has been a cooker, but after about 8:30 p.m. it feels better and I was able to enjoy being out and exerting myself. 32:30

137.5 lbs this morning, a bit "backed up". Yesterday I poached a piece of trout for the first time and it was fabulous. Poached it in coconut milk. I ate a big piece for lunch and the remainder cold with my avocado for supper. And for the first time, was only able to eat half my avocado. It just felt like too much food. But it was very hot yesterday - that may have something to do with it.

I've had a restless night, probably also due to the heat, but also likely due to the late evening run. Unfortunately, that's the time of day that I feel best and the weather is best for running. I have never been a good early morning runner or an empty stomach runner. And running in the middle of a hot sunny summer day is for lunatics, in my opinion...

Still juicing every morning and adding in moderate amounts of meat and raw veggies. I'm feeling more comfortably settled into the 130's, not like I'll pop up weight-wise back into the 140's if I relax vigilance at all. In fact, I can't really say that I'm feeling vigilant at all - this feels good and right. Cold juice in the hot summer is so easy to enjoy, and not cooking big meals is pure joy.

Stable at 137.5 this morning. Still feeling a little "backed up." It is so hot here (by central Ontario standards, anyways) that I bought romaine lettuce and a bag of ready-made oven roasted turkey breast after work and made Caesar salad dressing for an instant cold supper. It's quite high sodium which may explain the lack of weight movement this morning. I'm still consuming as much juice as before - three meals and an extra 8 oz "snack" serving. My overall calorie intake remains quite low, it's still almost 100% primally compliant, lots of good fats.

I'm shooting for 133 by August 1.

This afternoon, DS and I drive off to visit my brother in Indiana, a 7 hour drive (plus whatever time it takes for the border crossing). Right into the centre of a record breaking heat wave - highs of 38C (over 100F) before humidex. Oh, well, we'll visit indoors or seek shade. I won't be weighing for the next 3 days, but since my brother is doing the juice fast at this time, I'll join him and shouldn't have a problem eating well while visiting. Of course, we will still have to prepare food for my hungry 18-year-old jock-kid. We'll figure it out. I'm actually looking forward to browsing an American supermarket. Part of being a dietitian/nutrition junkie - I enjoy food shopping.

I'm back from a 4 day roadtrip to Indiana to visit my brother. Weight this morning 139.0. It's up 1.5 lbs, but I'm as pleased as punch to still be in the 130's despite the number of restaurant meals I've had in the past 4 days. I count 4 meals, plus a night at a ball park ($1 beer night! - I had one.) I found it suprisingly easy to stay away from wheat totally, other grains mostly. I had corn tortilla chips a couple of times and a few freshcut fries from my son's box. I ate a cheeseburger without the bun from a chip wagon, chose meaty salads, Bob Evan's breakfast with no bread or biscuits. Portions were huge, but the quality of the food was fair at least. My brother and I found a gourmet cheese shop in his little city and a local butcher in a nearby farming village. We were on the prowl for liver for supper. And found an apple orchard that he can return to in the fall. We juiced every day.

It was record-breakingly hot and so we got minimal activity. One evening walk around the subdivision for about 1.5 miles.

Back home now, hubby back from his 3 week trip. I plan to continue making juice and adding in one regular (read primal) meal per day. Otherwise I hope to keep juicing and taking an avocado for lunch for at least another week, consolidate my weight in the mid to lower 130's. And start running again.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Glad to see you're back and that you survived the trip with little ill effect on the scale. What sort of juice are you making? It's the beginning of day 8 for me. Not sure how much longer I'll go; not much.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

At my brother's, we were juicing kale, lettuce, celery, carrots, oranges, ginger, zucchini. He hates cucumbers and can taste them in the juice, so no cukes. I hadn't tried oranges as a fruit base for the juice before and it was really nice. I usually use apples or cantaloupe melon. At home I make a day's worth of juice with 2 apples, 2-3 carrots, 3-4 stalks of celery, something dark green (kale or chard), a cucumber, usually a beet, ginger, occ some parsley or cilantro. It's enough for 3 pint servings and a half-pint "snack".

Great on making the 8 days! Is it having an effect on your weight? What else are you feeling?

We had a church breakfast today and I ate a store-bought muffin. Yuck! Dry and too sweet. I'm about to head out on a motorcycle ride with newly-returned hubby, first time together in almost a month. We'll eat lunch out somewhere, but I'm hoping for a salad with protein. Whatever, the important thing is to have the together time after his long trip. I brought a whole bunch of cut fruit home from the church breakfast and I'll use it to make juice later today, to get back on track. I have steaks and pork chops thawing for supper. Meat-fest!!

140.0 this morning. Starches yesterday, no poop - it's not permanent. Made juice last night for today until supper. Back into the 130's by tomorrow, I'm sure!

Man, I've been hungry today! Fallout from the last 5 days of eating restaurant meals, I guess. I managed to go through till after work on my planned juice, avocado, some raw radishes, but I had to eat cheese and rice crackers for snack as soon as I got home from work, as I was perishing and supper was going to be really late. That held me until I got home at 8, when I wolfed down a sausage and carmelized onions. Then a piece of bread and butter (Oh Bad!!). But I've made juice and now I'm feeling sated and ready for bed.

I am now 2 days "backed up" and feeling a bit uncomfortable. I hate when this happens.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I broke my fast midday yesterday, day 8. So I went 7 full days. A friend lent me a book which I wish I'd read in the midst of this process, not afterwards. I stopped when I did because I was having all sorts of problems with my back and posture and stride (from an old injury that I'm still rehabbing). Come to find out that that is actually part of an accelerated healing process that was going on. From reading the book and the explanation and the timeframe, I can see it clearly now. But I didn't know any better and got concerned and bailed. Now I wish that I hadn't. I also did not come down properly off the fast, which the book gets into as well. I hope I haven't screwed myself too much. I keep checking, and the back fat which disappeared overnight is still gone, though. I intentionally haven't weighed in a few days because I knew that I'd gain some of it back when I began to eat solid food, but when I did weigh in last I was averaging approx. 1 pound a day. I'll go weigh tomorrow or the day after (by design, I no longer have a scale in my home) to see. I feel yucky eating cooked food again -- I just feel heavy and greasy and sluggish.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    139.5 today, down half a lb despite not "going" for several days now. Not sure why I'm so backed up, but it's likely the change in routine and food because of the roadtrip and 5 days in a row of at least 1 restaurant meal. I'm expecting good things when I get this s*#t moving! And after the frenetic pace of getting back into family and life (grocery shopping, making lunches for the whole gang again, meetings, taxi mom, etc), I am going to have the opportunity for a run this evening. Can't wait - it's long overdue!

@ Tigerlily - When I "broke" my juice fast, I kept making the juice, just added some other foods back in in place of the avocados. The juice helped to keep the "lightness" going, and helped to maintain the weight loss and consolidate it, I think. Now I'm juicing, but adding in raw veggies at lunch and having a regular primal dinner with my family. This is my plan for the next couple of weeks, I hope, as I get down to 135 or below and maintain there. Great to hear about your "healing" experience - I had something similar happen when I was doing Whole 30 in April - a burning sensation in my Achilles that I swear was the tendon healing, as it has been better since that day. What book were you reading?

Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast