Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: A Primal Dietitian??? Martha T.'s Journal page 14

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Well, I just finished eating a home made beef burger to break my modified juice fast. I have had added cream in purchased coffee and fresh garden peas (OMG GOOD!!) so far today, otherwise still eating/drinking juice as before. But now I feel satiated with beef - in fact I feel rather heavily overfull on a 5 oz patty! Served with lettuce, onion, relish and ketchup. And eaten in the company of my newly-returned-from-camp son, also first time in a while. I still have my supper serving of juice that I will have later this evening.

Can't wait to see what the scale does tomorrow. Other "cleanses" have caused huge weight losses followed by most of it reappearing almost overnight when the "cleanse" is over. Of course, that was in my previous non-primal days, and reintroduced food would usually be grain-based.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Hi there. I have decided I'm gonna do this. I went through my refrigerator tonight, and I have some things that have to be used up (such as shrimp and pancetta and eggs), so I'll eat those tomorrow and clean the fridge out. I'll start the following day (Sunday, 7/17). I'm still unsure how long I'll go. I'll also be modifying it slightly -- I'll do the avocados, my superfoods (which are mixed in with liquid and drank anyway), I make my own coconut milk from scratch, and I look forward to my fresh coconut water daily. I was thinking that it'll be so nice and easy not to even bother with cooking for a while. Kitchen will be -- and stay! -- clean. Good to see this was so easy for you. I think we both went through that initial awful detox seen in the documentary a long time ago.

How is your brother faring?
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    How is your brother faring?
    As of yesterday (Day 9 for him too, I think) he has dropped 8.5lbs. He still weighs over 300 lbs, but may see the 200's within a week or 2 at this rate. He is still having small amounts of food every few days when work commitments press on him. I swear that the weight loss is from getting off sugar and onto some true micronutrient nutrition. Despite eating not very much, he has not lost weight, regained some, actually, and I think his body is starving in the midst of all that obesity.

I'm glad to hear that you are going to try it. That's cool about making your own coconut products! Coconuts are not even available most of the time here. But that's OK. I've had a lifelong aversion to the texture of coconut and only started liking it even a little when I discovered coconut milk and coconut oil a few months ago.

So, for me, weight this morning remains steady at 137.0 lbs. I plan to make juice this morning, but eat some other foods in place of the avocados throughout the day. I will likely have my usual egg parfait breakfast at the market. And supper with my son. Not sure if I'll need much lunch, but I have leftover burgers, may make a salad.

By the time sleepyheaded son got up and we got to the market, it was after 9:30 and I had little appetite for a big serving of eggs, cheese, peameal, etc. I had already had my morning juice, so I just had a coffee. Then we shopped for lots of wonderful local, organic produce, and I found a new vendor selling organic grass-fed ground beef, so I bought a lb to try. Plus my good bacon and some peameal from the local butcher. Then ran around to do other grocery shopping and errands. By 1 p.m., I ate a cold leftover burger (about 6 oz total), a whole local organic cuke and a bunch of radishes. And iced tea with ACV. And I'm stuffed.

We plan to go to the beach later, when the sun is not so hot. I plan to have a small serving of juice before I go, then will be unlikely to need supper, other than the last juice serving when I get home. First time to the beach this year - Lake Huron at Sauble Beach - miles of wonderful white sand. Hope it's warm!

Weight this morning 136.0, down another lb to a new low. It's not at goal yet (I'm aiming ambitiously for 130 lbs), but it is notable as I was 136 lbs when I got married 26 years ago. My highest weight since was 198lbs when son#1 was born, and my highest non-pregnant weight was 171, about a year after said son. I lost all my pregnancy weight and an additional 10 lbs to 148 before getting pregnant again, gaining another 40-ish lbs. When I started this weight loss journey seriously 4 years ago, I had been stable between 157 and 163 for years. So it feels darn good to be back into the 130's!

Yesterday, I spent the late afternoon and evening at the beach, walking around in public in my bathing suit and feeling good about that. Made oodles of Vit D. We purposely go later in the day so that a) I don't have to pay the annoying parking fee, b) I don't have to wear sunscreen, and c) the crowds of tourists are starting to thin out at the end of the day. The water was cool and refreshing. My son wanted supper, so bought a home-made burger and home-cut fries. I ate a few fries at the beach (it was 7 p.m. by then, I was getting hungry and they were delicious), then had my last juice when I got home.

Today, I am invited to a ladies "garden party" at a friend's house. "Potluck nibblies" is the menu, so I plan to bring something vegetable-based. Not sure what yet. My plan is to have a breakfast (first one in almost 2 weeks - bacon and eggs, maybe?), then only juice at lunch, the party, then only juice for supper. We'll see how that works. On the other hand, I have no desire to eat bacon or eggs at the moment, so I may just stick with the juice. I am so happy with the juice at the moment, how it tastes in the hot summer days, how nourished I feel when taking it, that I'm loath to give it up. Adding back the meat protein has certainly not reduced its effectiveness in any way that I can see, and I'm down another lb since adding meat and a wee bit of dairy back 2 days ago.

Right now, I'm gunning for below 135 for the first time in about 4 years!

It's good to see that you haven't gained back all the weight you'd lost immediately upon returning to eating. That's what happened to me when I did an extended Master Cleanse years ago, so I've been curious to see what happens with this. Today is day #1 for me and, of course, I just started my period, so there will be no clear starting weight for me. I surprised myself and did not get all "Last Supper" last night. I simply wasn't hungry (related to my period), so I didn't eat. I found a juice recipe last night on YouTube that they swear tastes like chocolate milk. We'll see about that! I'll have to report back on that one.... Glad to see you're continuing on with the juicing in addition to meals. I've come to believe that this is the ultimate.

That Master Cleanse is pretty extreme, so no wonder people gain back when they stop. I had a forum-mate once who did 40 days of master cleanse, dropped about 40 lbs, then started re-eating (not the best choices for re-introduction - went straight for cheesy stuff) and within a week or two was back up almost 20 lbs. Because my modified juice fast involves nourishment, not "cleansing" so much, I don't think that the regain is likely. And I'm going back to clean primal eating (basically eating non-juiced veggies and meats, a bit of dairy), so I'm confident that I can stay in this range, if not continue gradually downwards.

So, I was looking for a "primal-friendly" nibbly to take to my afternoon tea party. I bought a marked-down big bag of "almost overripe" tomatoes yesterday, so I was looking for something to do with them. I found this recipe, and it's very Primal. About.com: http://www.e-rcps.com/pasta/rcp/antipasti/chry_tom_stfd.shtml I used two of the little pop-top cans of yellowtail tuna in olive oil. And I discovered that pureed tuna is a whole different beast than tuna out of the can. It's amazingly yummy, even before adding in the other ingredients. Like meat pudding! Who knew?

Tigerlily, do you have your own journal thread where you will be chronicling this adventure?
    Last edited by marthat; 07-17-2011 at 09:28 AM.

Weight 137.0 this morning, up 1 lb after yesterday's party. I was able to stay pretty primal at the party, other than a few tortilla chips used as bread alternatives for the yummy spreads and dips (about 8 chips, I reckon), and 2 small glasses of Prosecco (Italian bubbly wine). Then only juice for the rest of the day. Interestingly, I experienced a total "stuffedness" when there, like totally uncomfortable, bloated pain stuffedness, where I couldn't eat another bite and actually made my excuses and left. I'm thinking it was the 3 or 4 pieces of watermelon that I scarfed down - it was stinkin' hot. But on the up-side, I was wearing a little pink cotton sundress that I haven't worn since I fell for it in a vintage store 2 or 3 years ago. It fit perfectly around the bust and didn't even touch my body anywhere else, so was as cool as I could get on such a hot day. And I felt wonderful wearing it.

Plan today is to make juice after returning home from my very early hair appointment, make up the fish I thawed and didn't use yesterday, go for a walk or light run as it's supposed to be much cooler today. I only have to work one day this week - YAH!!

Martha, it's great to see that you're doing well (love the vintage dress story!) and are continuing on with the juice. How is your brother doing? I've been thinking about him.

I don't think I'll start a journal for my juice fast (just completed day 1 yesterday). I already spend too much time here and on the computer in general. Not planning on doing a play-by-play, but any noteworthy comments I think I'll just put in that main thread about the documentary. Anyway, thanks for the idea about the avocado. It made a big difference.

Tiger Lily, you're welcome. I love the avocado and am still eating one for at least one meal a day. Yesterday I had one for lunch with the hole filled in with the rest of the pureed tuna mix, then the whole thing sprinkled with celery salt. It was amazing!

Last I spoke to my brother, he was down 8.5 lbs in the first week. That was about 3 days ago. My son and I are driving down to see him on Wed this week. Can't wait to get there, see his juicer and give him some new things to try. Anything to help him get thinner and fitter. It's just the two of us - I want him to stick around. I'm hoping to transition him to a more primal way of eating eventually, but if he chose to do a 30 or even 60 day juice fast, it would be great for him. His body needs the nutrients right now and to start using his own stored energy. I think he has been starving in his obesity. Just using the juice instead of diet coke and sugary drinks will be a huge step forward.

Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast