Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: A Primal Dietitian??? Martha T.'s Journal page 13

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Modified Juice Fast Day 5: 138.0 lbs, down another half lb. Feeling great, lots of energy. Have to shop for more avocados after work. Not tired of them yet, either. Sure like not cooking at all. Make juice in the morning, go all day!

Day 5 Update: Another effortless day. I didn't end up having my supper juice until after 9 p.m. I didn't feel like it earlier, so I ate my avocado with iced tea and ACV, then went into town to do some errands and ended up at the church finishing the last garden bed. More wheelbarrow loads of dirt, more shoveling, all without my supper juice. My energy level is just great right now.

So I drank my last juice just now, after 9 p.m. I wonder if I will be able to get to sleep tonight!

Modified Juice fast Day 6: 137.5 lbs, down another 0.5 lbs this morning. It has gone down every day since I started. I'm feeling thiinner for sure. Tried on my goal pants this morning and they fit much better today. I could easily do them up and they are almost ready for public appearance. Quite a difference from the last time I tried them on - yah!!

I wake up hungry, but the coffee with coconut milk satisfies me. That and the morning juice keeps me going until lunch and my avocado and juice. This is going well! I'm noticing myself starting to think about meat, though, probably needing to reintroduce protein soon. My plan is that Friday supper will include a protein source. That will be Day 9.

Modified Juice Fast Day 7: 138.0 lbs, up half a lb, likely due to no dump yesterday. Otherwise a good day yesterday. I"m starting to get less excited about the juice - glad my time is winding down. Today I have fresh local strawberries to add to my juice - they should be nice for a change. And I have been juicing the fresh peas from my garden, since there is no-one else home to eat them.

I checked my % BF today and it's down again to 30%, a good sign. When it bounced back up to 31%, I was likely a bit dehydrated from the sudden diet change. If I checked, it would likely read about 27% in the evening, as that's it's usual fluctuation. My goal is to have it reading in the 20's for both morning and night. Despite a BMI of only 22.2, because of my fine-boned frame, I still carry extra fat around my hips and thighs and lower belly. I figure that at 51, if I can keep my %BF in the mid 20's, I'm doing fine.

Day 7 update. After typing the above about %BF fluctuations throughout the day on my Tanita scale, I decided to check my %BF later in the day, so I came home after work and jumped on the scale while changing. I was shocked! My weight was a half lb higher than this morning, but my % BF was down to 25%!! That's a 5% fluctuation through the day! I expect about 3%, but this was amazing. I can't remember seeing 25% for years!

Yesterday's "back-up" is over, I'm well cleaned out today. Intake remains unchanged, no hunger experienced, energy level good. I'm rather amazed to think that I have had nothing but avocados and veggie juice for 7 days now. Painlessly. One more full day to go, then I will start re-adding food on Friday. My 12 days of living pretty much totally alone will be over - picking up son #2 from camp.

I think I will continue to make juice into the weekend at least, but not so big a batch and not so exclusively. I like how it makes me feel, but I'll be glad to reintroduce some protein again. Adding the fat sources from the avocado and the coconut milk has been an inspired move, though - improved absorption of the nutrients and real satiety at "meals". I would definitely do this again.

Modified Juice Fast Day 8: 137.0 lbs. To continue the % BF experiment, I checked myself both at bedtime last night and again this morning. All conditions the same (clothing, empty bladder, etc), except the time of day, and likely hydration status. Last night at 11 p.m. was 27% and this morning was 29% (a new low for my usual measuring time - yah!). So in 24 hours I've recorded 30%, 25%, 27% and 29%. And weight has only fluctuated 2 lbs in that time, from 138.0 yesterday morning to 139.0 at bedtime, to 137.0 this morning. Interesting.

But the overall trend is down, especially from the 33% that I was registering before the boot camp started in late May. So overall, with the boot camp, followed by the modified juice fast, I have lost 13 lbs and 4% BF. I'm pretty impressed!! By comparison, when I did the Whole 30 in April with perfect compliance all month, I lost only 4 lbs. I have since removed nuts from my diet and eat only minimal non-berry fruit.

Today is my last day of being totally alone. I pick up DS from camp tomorrow morning and have to start cooking and thinking about food for others again. It's been a lovely interlude, but it's not my usual life. I"m out of coconut milk, so today I have added a tsp of coconut oil to my coffee and opened a can of FF Carnation Milk (I know, not primal, but I love it anyways) to cream up the coffee. I'm also out of coffee and don't pick up my new batch until Saturday, so I'm drinking my decaf stash. I will need to buy a coffee shop coffee to get my caffeine fix later this morning and tomorrow. So I have re-added a bit of dairy this morning.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    I don't see much if any protein in your drinks. Based on Mark's post this morning on the subject of snacking, the absence of protein may lead you to lose muscle mass rather than fat.http://www.gnolls.org/1794/why-snack...-not-just-fat/

It's definitely not a long term diet alternative, as the whole day contains about 10 g of protein. But it is functioning more like a cleanse or reboot. At least that's how it feels. And with the amount of shoveling and wheelbarrow hauling I've been doing this week, I'm actually feeling a bit more buff in my upper body than I did before! I have definitely done WAY less sitting this week than usual. Amazing how much extra time I have with no cooking and nobody else around to take care of.

I am looking forward to eating protein again in the next day or so. I haven't touched a thing in my fridge or freezer for over a week - I have so many choices I can't decide what to have first! Eggs, or salad with tuna, or (non-juiced) fresh peas from my garden....Yum!

BTW, I rechecked the after work/before supper % BF (the one that was an astonishing 5% lower than the morning reading yesterday), and it was 25% again today. If I'm well and truly into the 20's for % BF that will be reason for celebration! I'll keep checking for a few days, especially as I finish the juice fast and reintroduce other foods.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Modified Juice Fast Day 9: 137.0 lbs, 29% BF. Today I will reintroduce some other foods into my juice fast. I plan to continue juicing for a few more days, but with other family members around, I will be eating at least a regular, primal supper. I am looking forward to some meat and chewable vegetables, likely a salad, followed by "dessert" down in the garden with the fresh peas - YUMMY!

I did a full set of measurements this morning to mark the end of the Boot Camp and Juice Fast phases. I'm down inches on my waist, hips and thighs, but not on my bust (which is great, I don't have much!), all my female fat zones. Arms are the same, calves are the same. No indication of muscle wasting. All my summer clothes fit really nicely at this weight and I am feeling quite fine, good in my body.

Next goals? Well, I am aiming to get into the lower 130's and stay there permanently. And start running again to get ready for my half marathon in Sept. And plank every day to tighten my abs and core - that's the part I'm not always happy with.

I think I'll pull a roast out of the freezer to thaw for the crockpot tomorrow!

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast