Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: A Primal Dietitian??? Martha T.'s Journal page 12

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    The jewelry party is over and I'm relaxing with the last glass of wine. I had no supper, but have been nibbling all evening. I had shrimp and cocktail sauce, veggies and dip, a carrot/pineapple loaf cake (I had 2 half slices), dark chocolate, fresh cherries, chocolate/maple fudge. Little bits of everything all evening. And about 2 glasses of wine. It was a successful party, and I enjoyed myself, but I'm glad it's over. I have leftovers of lots of stuff, but can feed the non-primal loaf cake to my working son and keep the shrimp and veggies to myself for lunch tomorrow. NOT expecting a weight loss tomorrow! Back to real life and real Primal eating in the morning...

Oh, Boy!! Weight up to 144 lbs after nibbling all evening, including some loaf cake and wine, definitely not primal. Oh, well! I've got a plan for all the leftovers that does NOT involve eating them myself, and I'm onwards from here!

OK, off on another tangent! I am all alone for all my meals for the next 9 days. My brother wrote to me yesterday about a movie he watched called "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead", about an Australian man who goes on a 60 juice fast to "Reboot". He does this while driving across America. Meets a 420 lb trucker who does the fast with him. I haven't seen the movie, can't get it on Netflix here, so I'm just going on the trailer info and the website info. Anyways, my 300+ lb brother is so inspired by this movie that he wants to do a juice fast. I offered to take him my Champion juicer when I go to visit in 2 weeks, but he doesn't want to wait that long.

So, since there is no-one around to care, and I want to jump-start my way down into the 130's, I've decided to juice fast along with him for at least the next 7 days, maybe all nine. I'm awash in fresh veggies at this time of year, and cooking for one is not inspiring to me (I made a cheese omelet and sauteed asparagus for supper last night). I am NOT giving up my coffee for this, but I will go dairy-free and switch back to coconut milk for the next week.

All in the name of self-experimentation....

Weight this morning was 143.0, down 1 lb after the all night nibbles of the jewelry party. I poured the last bits of wine out of two bottles in my fridge last night. In other times, I would have drank them, but I know that I don't sleep as well after drinking any alcohol - exacerbates my hot flashes.

So, I[m off to juice stuff!

Modified juice fast Day 1: So I am doing this fast in support and sympathy with my obese brother who lives 7 hours away. He went out and bought a juicer last night, a bunch of veggies, and made his first batch of juice. I came downstairs this morning, fired up the Champion juicer that lives (often neglected) on my kitchen counter and made juice. My juice batch (which made 3 big svgs - breakfast, lunch and mid-p.m.) consisted of 2 apples, 3 small carrots, 1 little beet, plus it's top greens, some cauliflower, half a cuke, cilantro, half a romaine lettuce, 4 radishes. Just stuff I had in my fridge.

My modified juice fast is going to go like this: Coffee (organic, half Swiss water decaf, custom roasted by my friend - not giving that up!) with coconut milk instead of dairy, veggie juice (with a small proportion of either apple or melon for sweetness), at least 2 large batches per day, a whole avocado with lunch and another as supper (with celery salt for flavour), herbal teas ad lib, Vit D 2000IU's. Having the high fat avocado at meals is very satisfying, plus it has the bonus of looking slightly more "normal" when eating lunch at work.

I went grocery shopping after work to stock up on the veggies. Bought about 10 different veggies plus a bag of apples and a cantelope melon. Could hardly carry them all!! I'm aiming for a minimum of 7 days, maybe all nine until my son returns from camp. We'll see how I feel. Right now, after about 18 oz juice and an avocado, I'm stuffed, and otherwise feeling fine! Even toying with the idea of a short run.

Modified Juice Fast Day 2: 140.5 lbs. Yep - back to my lowest weight, 2.5 lbs of bloat gone in 1 day. And a relatively painless day, too. Good energy level (though I wisely did not attempt a run, just yardwork), no major hunger, good night's sleep.

Adding the fat from the avocados and coconut milk will really help with satiety, I think.

Can't wait to see what the next few days will bring...

Modified Juice Fast Day 3: I made my first goal this morning - 139.5 lbs. Into the 130's for the first time in over a year and a half. I only ever struggle with the same 15-20 lbs, but I do struggle, so this is SWEET!!

Yesterday, I felt good all day, until into the late evening, when I was hungry. Then I realized that in the rush to get out the door to soccer practice (I'm the team manager and even with DS off at camp, I still have to go), I forgot to eat my "supper", aka an avocado. So I ate it at about 9:30 last night and was fine.

I posted this analysis on the Best Juicer thread, so I'm reposting here for posterity. Yesterday's juice batch, which provided 3 16 oz servings (B, L and S. snack) contained only 2 apples, 2 small carrots and 2 small beets for carb content. The remainder was leafy greens of 2-3 different kinds, cucumber, celery, radishes, ginger root, cilantro. Then I supplemented the juice by eating 2 whole avocados for additional fat. According to calculations at Livestrong, I had a total of 75g carb from the whole day's juice, so 25g per serving. The days totals, with avocados added was 110 g carb (of which 18 is fiber from the avocado), and a total of 800 cals. And a whackload of nutrients.

I have a morning of heavy labour ahead of me, as we redo the garden beds at the church. There are 5 yards of topsoil and 5 yards of mulch to be moved, and likely only 2 of us that are able to move it around. Lots of shovelling and wheelbarrowing. Should be interesting to see how I manage an intensively active day on the juice.

Modified Juice Fast Day 4: 138.5, down another lb into the 130's, which I love. I am noticably slimmer through my upper and lower abdomen. I am not fooling myself that this is all fat - it's not. I checked %BF this morning and it's up, indicating fluid loss. But with 5-6 more days of juice fasting (plus my avocados and coconut milk for added fat), I hope to consolidate that loss.

I had tons of energy, worked at hard landscaping work for 3 full hours yesterday morning, then went on to shop for plants all afternoon. Cut the grass during what would be the supper hour, then weeded the garden for a while. Finally sat down to sew on a quilt and watch Netflix documentaries about 8:30, and stayed up until almost midnight, way past my usual crash-time. I was a bit hungry when awake in the middle of the night, but did nothing about it.

I'm back to the church in an hour to continue the landscaping and plant all the stuff I bought yesterday. It's gonna be hot and I'm in a bathing suit top to continue working on my tan.

Yesterday, I went to a small independent bookstore to spend my birthday gift certificate and found Nourishing Traditions, which I had been wanting for years. So now I have an enormous 700 book to keep me busy, too.

Today's workouts: 3.5 hours of hard yard work this morning. Shovelling dirt and mulch, pushing and dumping wheelbarrows. Planting.

1.5 hour walk this evening, about 5.5 miles/8.9km. Included some rough patches and climbing a layer of the Niagara Escarpment.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Happy Belated Birthday!

(Mine was on the 5th)
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    Happy Belated Birthday!

(Mine was on the 5th)
    And the same to you!! My girlfriend's is also on the 5th and we are the same age. Turned 50 together last year!

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast