Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: A Primal Dietitian??? Martha T.'s Journal page 10

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Boot Camp Day 26: 142.0 lbs. Not sure why I'm up rather than down this morning. I had a burger without bun at lunch and a steak for supper with caesar salad. No big cheats yesterday at all. Oh, well, this too shall pass. Today could be challenging as I have a BBQ after church and then a supper out with another couple at the Japanese restaurant. But I can handle both those situations without difficulty. I am looking forward to a drop tomorrow and a nice slide into the 130's by next weekend. I have 1 week of boot camp left until my birthday next Sunday.

OMG! Sushi tidal wave hit me! We went to our favourite sushi place with one other couple, and everyone wanted to order together and share. So I ended up sharing edamame, tempura and a boatload of sushi! I haven't had that much starch in a month! At least it was gluten free, but I'm expecting a big weight jump in the morning. Oh, well - it was delicious, and I can get back up on the wagon tomorrow. At least I only drank green tea all evening...

Boot Camp Day 27: 142.0 lbs. Despite the sushi feast of last night, my weight has remained the same today, and at one point registered 141.5, actually down! So I'm on my way down again. Would probably be down much more if not for the Japanese restaurant last night.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased with myself.

I am off work all this week, and spending the time with my kids. Dietwise, that's good in some ways, harder in others. The lack of structure can make it harder to stay with routine, but I am under no pressure to eat according to how others expect me to eat either. As a consultant dietitian, you can bet that others in my workplaces look at my lunches with interest. It is usually a big mixed salad with an avocado and a can of tuna in olive oil added. Then a fruit or a yogurt for dessert. And tea. Quite routine unless I have leftovers. Even before going Primal, I never took sandwiches.

I have grass cutting exercise in my future today. About an hour at full speed, plus some gardening and bush pruning. And it's going to be a hot sunny day today, so I'll make lots of Vitamin D and sweat!
    Last edited by marthat; 06-27-2011 at 05:17 AM.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    How are you managing with working as a dietitian? Does being primal make it difficult? I have a hard enough time just looking at girls I work with who are on 'diets'.

And I'm with you on the difficulty of maintaining structure and routine on your days off. I'm looking at two 5-day weekends in the next three weeks including a couple of mini-vacations but I'm going to try to stick with the PB as much as possible.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

I work in long term care where the content of the menus is actually legislated to follow CFG. But that's not the worst thing, as most seniors living in care do not need or want their lifelong dietary habits to change. The meals are the high point of the day for them, and we do not have the right to restrict their diets without their permission. That being said, I have managed to implement some good fats into their diets through adding flax to hot cereal for the entire building at a time, and recommending fish oils for some. All my residents get supplemental Vit D.

But many co-workers go on diets and I tend to not comment unless they ask. Nobody likes an interfering know-it-all dietitian. But if asked, I point people towards this website, Gary Taubes' or Michael Pollan's books. Depends on the person, their current "place" healthwise, foodwise, perspective-wise. I especially find Michael Pollan's Eater's Manifesto a good book to recommend. Short read, excellent principles, non-threatening, and very achievable for most people. His credo of "Eat Real Food, Not Too Much, Mostly Plants" is a really succinct statement of overall good health principles.
    Last edited by marthat; 06-27-2011 at 07:20 AM. Reason: added info

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I'll have to look for the Eater's Manifesto.

My dad is a stubborn 70-something who would really benefit from cutting or reducing grains from his diet. Doesn't eat noodles or pasta but loves his bread. Doesn't help that my mum home bakes a loaf or two every day!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Boot Camp Day 28: 141.0 lbs. Back to my lowest reading and still 5 days to my birthday. Today is the local huge farmers market and local everything market. Lots of fun to wander around and great food. I'll probably bring home some Mennonite summer sausage and hopefully some local strawberries and maybe still asparagus.

@Belinda: The actual name of the book is In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto. An excellent little read. He doesn't promote primal, but he does promote real food, not processed "pseudofoods". A big step forward for many people.

I just made a fabulous stirfry with a lb of local asparagus (very thin this late in the season, perfect for stirfry), a red pepper, a carrot, 2 bags of shrimp and one bag of calamari. Cooked it in roasted sesame oil and coconut oil, then added coconut milk, teriyaki sauce and Chinese chili-garlic sauce. Made a wonderful broth. I took out about 2 1/2 cups for myself before adding the pre-soaked rice vermicelli for my men. It was delicious, took a spoon to the remaining broth, too good to miss.

Now I'm stuffed, but man was it good!

I got a whole basket of fresh peas at the farmer's market today. I love fresh pea season!

Boot Camp Day 29: 141.5 lbs. Not sure why I'm up half a lb after yesterday, but I'm not stressing about it. If I am settled at the 141 range for a few days, that is WAY better than being settled at the 150 range. Though I'm still on a push for 139.5 by Sunday, my 51st birthday.

I'm feeling a bit rough about this birthday. I was thrilled to turn 50, made a big deal of it with a whole year of special stuff, two big trips (one of them alone!!), two big races (back to back half marathons in Sept), a wonderful party. Plus it was our 25th wedding anniversary the same week. And it felt good to say "I'm 50" when I knew that I looked much younger and generally felt great. But it's no longer going to be "I'm 50!" but now it's "I'm 51." Doesn't have the same panache at all! Plus my hubby is going to be away for my birthday and our anniversary.

But on the up side, a dear girlfriend called a few days ago to invite me over for dinner on my birthday, to celebrate mine and my other friend's birthdays (we're both the same age, two days apart). A girls-only dinner since several of our husbands are gone on this trip together. So I have plans.

And this year, my 51st, will be the year that I attain my goal weight, get strong primally, and put all that boundless good health energy into good things. I have just accepted the job of co-pastoring my little congregation and we have lots of stuff planned for the coming year, so I'm excited about that. My volunteer work continues with Special Olympics as well. And my job gives me great satisfaction, wonderful flexibility and a good income. Overall, I am truly blessed and have nothing to complain about.

Four more days in this boot camp!!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My 18 year old, developmentally challenged son has been asking (bugging, actually) to ride his bike to town. It's mainly an independence thing for him. It's 10km (6 miles) of 70-80km/hr roads, construction trucks using some of the roads, then the busyness of town when he gets there. On the other hand, it would be great for me as well if he were less dependent on me for rides. In order for this to be a reality, we had to do a trial run with one of us parents along.

So today, being a gorgeous sunny but quite cool day, we got our bikes out and rode all the way to the centre of our small city. 20km round trip and vaguely uphill the whole way home. I haven't been on my bike in a year and had to blow the tires up from flat. But we did it !! Multiple stops once we got to town, but the 8-9 km on either end of the trip were done in one long ride. My bum is sore, my legs are jelly and I sure couldn't keep up to my powerfully strong 18 year old son, but I did it, and I'm darn proud of myself! And he was perfect, always safe on the road, so I'm pretty proud of him too.

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast