Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you take this WAY to far? page

Go-Pre is offline Member

Do you take this WAY to far?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Think of your diet like a college football game. If a team is very well coahed with the fundamentals and executes proper blocking and tackling (and trick plays), that team is 90% of the way to success, regardless of individual talent. Think Boise State over the past decade.

That's our diet. If we all just eat real food (blocking and tackling) and stop the stressing about 50% fat or 55% fat. 75 grams of carbs or 50 grams of carbs, we'll all have a great season (life).

Now I totally get there are some of us who want to tweak for perfection (ab goal, +/- 2 pound weight goal, etc). But that's a "peak" and a team can't play the Fiesta Bow 12 times per year.

Here is a great post by Sean Croxton @ underground wellness who says it much better than me.

This is Silly. | Underground Wellness

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    The fool who persists in his folly will become wise. If people feel the need to delve into the minutiae of diet and metabolism and all that, that's fine. But you can go only so deeply into something before you emerge right back where you started from.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Kelda is offline Senior Member
    But for some the delving into minutiae is what enables them to fully understand and work out where they fit in the scheme! Cracking my protein intake and getting the carbs at the right level for me has made a huge difference and was unlikely to have happened of its own accord! Each to his own of course! Some of us are just natural born delvers and others are the lotus eaters LOL!
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

meepster is online now Senior Member
    Exactly. This is my reaction to most of this forum. Admittedly, I don't need to lose weight and I don't have any health issues - if I did, maybe I'd be micromanaging my diet more. But since I don't, I just eat real food and let the micronutrients take care of themselves.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    80% of the benefit comes from 20% of the work, the remaining 20% of the benefit takes 80% of the work - thanks to someone else for reminding me this great little notion. A good hunk of people on here have serious health problems, or extreme health goals like sub-10% bf, in both cases it is justified to go "too far".
    Some of us just find nutrition and human health really interesting, too.

spughy is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the link! That was a great post. I've always thought that generally speaking, people will feel best with a WOE that they truly believe is right. I eat the way I do because I firmly believe that bodies function best in the environment for which they're biologically adapted - nutrition being just one of the factors. But, I know that not everyone is as into evolutionary biology as I am, and some people really don't give a crap about it. There are people who firmly believe that God gave them grains to munch on and that they should eat meat sparingly if at all. If they believe that, deep down in their souls, their brains will find some way to make any meat intake (or lack of grain intake) associated with some negative health outcomes. It wouldn't even be conscious.

You should feel good about what you eat, spiritually and physically. Honestly, I think spiritual part is probably more important. But I lurve my science so I DO get really interested in tweaks and micronutrient content and all that. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, as long as I don't expect everyone else to share my weirdo hobby.
    Last edited by spughy; 04-17-2011 at 08:06 PM.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    We don't stress the fat because it's good for you.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

meepster is online now Senior Member
    Oh, I find nutrition and health to be fascinating subjects of study - I just don't want to turn myself into a human experiment. I buy the idea that the human body is designed to consume real foods rather than processed bleargh. That's as far as I'm going - real food made from organic ingredients, preferably home-cooked by me. I know for sure that's healthy. I'm perfectly happy to read about exotic diets, whether vegan, meat-only, very low carb, very low fat, grapefruit-only, Mediterranean, Okinawan, or cow blood based, but I'm not going to try any of them on myself. The low fat diet is what got Americans so fat. I'm sure there are a few bugs in the low-carb diet that haven't yet been discovered, too. I'll just eat real food and wait for nutritional science to progress to the point that I can actually trust it.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Each of us is an experiment in nutrition and wellbeing. The only difference is the extent of your engagement with that experiment
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

denbro01 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Each of us is an experiment in nutrition and wellbeing. The only difference is the extent of your engagement with that experiment
    Very well said!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast