Thread: Is an unintentional 24 hour fast normal? page

Is an unintentional 24 hour fast normal?

Seriously, I fixed myself the swiss chard frittata in the PB cookbook (already had everything lying around)and just ended up eating the whole thing. 6 eggs, and handfuls of chard and onion, and I added some tomato. Certainly a big meal, but not bad. That was yesterday at 3. I haven't been hungry since, and I'm now only 2 1/2 hours from the 24 hour mark. Most people plan that kinda thing out, don't they?

Anyway, when I am hungry, I'm going for the salad. I didn't get enough veggies yesterday. And maybe more swiss chard. I ended up with a ton of it.

But I'm just simply finding that when I actually count up my calories for the day, I'm way under where I probably should be. Somedays I never get past 1000, because I'm just not that hungry anymore. Any suggestions? I'm starting to feel like I'm not always getting enough to stay healthy.

kurite is offline Senior Member
    Are you overweight? If you have excess body stores your body knows that you already have enough energy. Same thing happened to me and until I lost most of my weight did my body start craving more food.

My BMI considers me obese, close to the edge. I know, it isn't always right, but I don't think I've got much for muscle mass under there yet. 5'2" and I'm down to 173.

Maybe I was just too used to binging on carby food all the time that it just seems weird.

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    Never happened before Primal but now I get days like that, where I'm just not hungry. I figure when my body wants food it will tell me. I don't stress it because over a week's time i know I'm getting a good balance of whole, healthy food.

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    That sort of stuff was semi-common for me in the beginning of the switch and I only had some small fat stores around my waist. Don't worry about it so much in the beginning, things should get more regular once your body gets fully adjusted to not eating flavored Styrofoam.
    "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
    -J.Stanton

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    I think that's great that you are listening to your body. I feel that it is very sad that we have essentially "forgotten" how to eat and to nourish ourselves properly. I think finding and listening to your true hunger signals rather than a number on the clock or what fitday says you should have can only help your body find a healthy, maintainable weight.
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Quote Originally Posted by shat View Post
    I think that's great that you are listening to your body. I feel that it is very sad that we have essentially "forgotten" how to eat and to nourish ourselves properly. I think finding and listening to your true hunger signals rather than a number on the clock or what fitday says you should have can only help your body find a healthy, maintainable weight.
    I agree. I used to eat when I started to lightheaded or my head hurt. I guess it was because I was going through a constant up and down of energy because of the carbs. Now that it's steadier, I feel it in my stomach, my head hasn't felt bad in ages. I don't think I've felt that since I was a kid and I had to wait for my mom to prepare all the meals. I guess 24 hours seemed alarming to me because I've never been able to do that, unless I was horribly sick.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shat View Post
    +2 I just fasted 21.5 hours without "trying"...

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I was comfortable eating around 1200 calories or so a day last time I measured, and I know some days it is less than that because I am just not hungry. It is a huge change, this not being hungry, but it is a good thing. It has been a difficult adjustment in my head not to eat because I think I should be hungry at a certain time, but my body is a better judge of what I need than my mind!
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html