Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Digestive Enzyme Supplements page

kjake55 Guest

Shop Now

Does anyone take a digestive enzyme supplement such as HN-Zyme Prime or Digest Gold? I'm thinking of adding one to my current supplements after a lot of checking into it but I was wondering if anyone has had experience with or thoughts about this subject. All comments are always appreciated! :-)

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

kjake, in theory, normal healthy people should be already properly equipped to digest the foods we evolved to eat (I am of course assuming thats the way you also eat).

On the other hand, it seems that some people transitioning from long-term vegetarianism into carnivorism do experience some trouble re-adapting to digesting meat. In this case, digestive enzyme supplementation could be useful.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Mr B Guest

I've taken different ones off and on over the years.

Recently started taking NOW Super Enzyme (fairly inexpensive and seems to have a lot of positive reviews)

I've read conflicting reports over the actual effective of enzymes, so though I can't say one way or the other, over the last week or so (how long I've been taking NSE) I don't seem to be quite as uncomfortable after eating as usual.

Are the NSE pills reponsible? I dunno. Only been a week. But...it's possible.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

kjake, are you have digestive issues? I mean unless you have a previous or current condition theres no need to really take them consistently. I know some health gurus who take them occasionally at meals where they think they might need it such as thanksgiving or christmas meal.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

kjake55 Guest

I don't want to get overly graphic here but suffice to say that all the veggies I eat (and some fruit) leave me very bloated and uncomfortable. Meats tend to run through me pretty quickly...sory for that. I eat as cleanly as possible with some modest excurions into the 20% and the occasional slip-up but by-and-large I try to eat the PB way.

I don't touch processed food or sugar at all but the meat I buy is grain fed since I can't afford grass-fed/grass-finished. I buy as lean as possible and cut out whatever fat remains. I was just thinking that maybe I'm not digesting properly and therefore not bringing as many nutrients into my system and the build up causes the bloats or since the meat doesn't stay with me long I'm never sure that I'm actually gaining any health benefits from it.

I've also never had any body changes at all since I adopted this eating/lifestyle in June. Not in weight, measurements, anything. As I said, I eat pretty cleanly and I crossfit 4x's per week so I thought I might see some changes. I will say that I've maintained my weight without effort so maybe in that respect something did change but I sometimes wonder if I didn't have any weight loss (or gain) because my body doesn't process as efficiently as possible.

Look forward to hearing more opinions. Thanks all!

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I'm guessing that enzymes won't make it through the stomach acid. And then if they did, what? Help break down whatever it is that they are supposed to break down while in the small intestine? Your liver makes all the enzymes you need except for meat tenderizer and laundry aid!

Self-monitoring for a specific food component introduction is quite impossible unless something really, radical happens quickly. And then you can repeat it. While many scientific experiments have a fatal flaw, they are at least trying to be objective......most of the time.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

Kjake you might want to have your gut health checked out, your saying food is passing through quickly..sounds like gut hyperpermeability or leaky gut... regardless your on the right track to getting rid of the problem by eat a minimal inflammation diet. Your going to want to avoid gluten and most grains, dairy, avoid coffee and caffeine, water during meals...

One way to test gut health is to just ask yourself how you feel hormonally. Often poor gut health leads to poor serotonin and melatonin production as 80 percent of production comes from the gut. Are you feeling a little sad, sluggish memory, sleep trouble, anxiety, apetite issues...

Neurotransmitters are responsible for many many things in our body so if you think something is going wrong there, specifically with serotonin or melatonin-serotonin is precursor-then that could be a sign of gut trouble.

Supplementing with digestive enzymes and HCL might help, but those would just be helping symptoms, you wanna treat the root cause.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Crystal W. Guest

I'd try Digest More Ultra by Renew Life.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

If you're having trouble with meats... maybe try some papaya enzyme? The main enzyme is called papain, and its a protease, which means it digests proteins. Its been used by people before who have enzyme issues, and since your main issue is meat... I would think it would help you out. Papain is also the main ingredient in meat tenderizer.

You could just buy papaya and eat it (I love it), green papaya is best for enzyme activity. Green papaya doesn't have much taste, so you could add it to numerous foods unnoticed. Ive also seen papaya reductions in the health food store as a digestive aid (think in packets like go-gurt, only smaller). They also sell enzyme caplets that are just purified papain.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member

why are you cutting off the fat from meats? is there a medical reason?

challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast