Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Digestive Enzyme Supplements page 2

kjake55 Guest

Primal Fuel

ASN-I thought about the leeky gut thing to but then thought maybe I was imagining it. I didn't want to go to the doctor and regale him with my self diagnosis just to find out it's a muscle tone issue even though I workout. I also thought that perhaps it was because I was up around 200 lbs at one time. It took me 2 years to lose the weight and as of last month I have kept it off for 1 year (1 year and counting baby! Yay for me!! Sorry, I digress)so maybe it's just extra weight that wasn't lost or muscles that are so stretched out from my previous weight that this is the way it is now. I have always had this problem of bloat belly-it's not completely unsightly or anything but I KNOW my belly isn't as puffy as it always looks. And it does get uncomfortable sometimes. Some people have said to me that women in their 40's, hormones, peri-menopause and yada yada yada but I don't buy any of that. Regardless of my age I think my body should reflect what/how I eat and exercise. Right? Maybe? I should have specified that I also don't eat grains of any kind but I do partake in a little dairy (1 tsp. heavy cream in coffee and a slice of cheese sometimes) and I do drink a lot of coffee. I drink water when I'm thirsty or taking vits but other than that I no longer subscribe to the 8-8 oz glasses per day theory like I use to.

Eva-I cut the fat off the meat because the meat is grain fed and I thought most of the garbage and unhealthy O-3’s would reside mainly in the fat. Am I wrong? I love the taste of animal fat.

OTB-WTF??? I'm sorry but I can't make heads or tails out of what you are trying to say.

Thanks all!

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

O-3's reside in the fat, they are healthy. All the PUFA's are in the fat. The only significant, objecetive difference between grain fed and CAFO meats is the decreased Omega 3's in grain fed cows. A few fish oil capsules takes care of that.

I re-read my post, sorry, it seems clear to me.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

If the meat is hormone and antibiotic free then the only downside of the meat is the excess omega-6s, and as OTB said you can take more fish oil. But, if it's not hormone and antibiotic free, then those two things are also in the fat, and it should be avoided.

Kjake so your not consuming the standard inflammatories such as gluten, lectin, lactose, casein, ect... Might want to check out a food sensitivities/intolerances test, because that can be very damaging to the gut. That could definitely lead to leaky gut, and so could previous eating habits, but I would get the food insensitivity test before leaky gut. Hope this isn't too personal, but how are your bowel movements and hows consistency of the poop?

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Kjake, given your very primal diet, my take is that there's something wrong with the bacteria in your gut. Eliminating every trace of diary from your diet and taking pre and prrobiotics could also help. The blog Cooling Inflammation also has good articles of how to reduce the inflammatory bacteria from your gut.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I take enzymes occasionally, when I get indigestion. My mom had horrible heartburn. It went away once I got her taking enzymes.

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member

Excellent post on the science of enzymes

http://www.begin2dig.com/2009/11/raw...of-enzyme.html

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

CJ4400 is offline Member

Interesting post. I was wondering if anyone might be able to give me suggestions as well.

I eat 90% primal with plenty o' fat. One thing to note is that I don't eat much vegetables and eat one piece of fruit a day. The veggies are mostly due to the fact that I am never home and don't have time to cook often.

With that all being said, it's been difficult for me to be "regular" and I've resorted to laxatives in desperate times.

Does the probiotics work? I take fiber pills but those don't help much... Suggestions?

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Your body makes the enzymes it needs. End of story.

nina_70 Guest

Sometimes the body needs help....

It can be useful to supplement digestive enzymes for people who need 'em (e.g. not able to digest properly, or coming from vegetarian diet into a protein-based diet, or recovering from Candida, or recovering from IBS etc.). I've definitely seen them be useful to help transition and get the body back on track to making it's own enzymes, often in combo w/ prebiotics/probiotics too.

But...I'd probably go to a doc first and get checked out. The doc can test for gut issues &/or food sensitivities (you could be sensitive to a given protein for example). If needed, they can supplement the enzymes too.

CJ4400 is offline Member

Thanks for the heads up. I am wondering if it is the imbalance of omega ratios from not eating grass fed beef? Because I am eating plenty of fats.

Tried going to the doc but all that was said was the same CW advice - eat more whole grains, fiber, etc. It's just such a pain to have to go from one referral to another just to get an answer. Wanted to try what experience others have had in this community first.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast