Thread: Flour Free Rue? page

lahlon55 is offline Junior Member

Flour Free Rue?

Primal Fuel
    I made a pretty mean Duck and Shrimp Gumbo (even if I stole the recipe from John Besh) before going Primal. While all the ingredients of the gumbo are fine, one uses flour in making the rue. Anyone made a rue using coconut flour or any other ideas for the dish?

Doddibot is offline Senior Member
    You can make a roux using potato or sweet potato flour (or even arrowroot). Coconut should work too but it will taste quite different, as toasted coconut tends to.

I see no reason why a nut flour wouldn't work, but I haven't tried it.
    Last edited by Doddibot; 04-16-2011 at 04:02 PM.
    "Thanks to the combination of meat, calcium-rich leaf foods, and a vigorous life, the early hunter-gatherers were robust, with strong skeletons, jaws, and teeth." - Harold McGee, On Food And Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

NurseMama5 is offline Senior Member
    or xantham gum?
    "I tried to call the nurse again, but she's bein' a little bitch....I think I'll get outta here." Pink

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Towards the end of cooking, peel and grate in a raw potato and let simmer for half an hour or so. It will thicken right up.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Cornstarch. Not exactly primal but its low in carb and to make a roux you need less cornstarch than it would take if you used flour. Cornstarch is also 7g of carbs per serving. I use it as a thickener all the time.
    Georgette

The Big L is offline Senior Member
    I make a roux for my étouffée about once a week. I always use whatever gluten-free flour mix I have on hand, which is usually something from Bob's Mill. I think the primary ingredient is rice flour, and there's also some corn flour in there. Anyway, I couldn't care less about the carb count...I'm only using around 4 Tbsp of flour anyway. The étouffée always comes out awesome, so I'm happy.

Oh yeah, I should mention that I serve my étouffée over plenty of white rice.

Barb is offline Senior Member
    I just made some Swedish Meatballs today, and to thicken the sauce I used arrowroot powder. It got nice and thick! Used it just like flour - stirred into the pan drippings, cooked up a bit, then added the liquids and simmered until thick and bubbly.